Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to buy Model Aeroplanes?

Default Re: Where to buy Model Aeroplanes?

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    heheh I saw that one you link to hehe you still need to BUILD it before you can fly it...and then you need to install all the componetns, all the servo links and electronic receiver unit, batteries..etc. That price they offer is only for one battery if you look at their listing of cost per items. So S$400 will get you all the basic stuff but you want to fly for long periods you need to buy more batteries....lots of batteries if you want to fly for haf a day. As I can see that is $75 per battery!! As for charging...forget it....charging at the field is not possible as it takes along time to charge each one. So you are lucky each battery lasting about 6 to 10 min..this also depend on what kind of electrical engine type....some use less power to fly and some alot more as they need to power a large prop or a bigger size plane..
    faint.. so fly 6min, change battery, fly 6 min again change. ok..confirm 'give up'

Quote Originally Posted by Errz View Post
    faint.. so fly 6min, change battery, fly 6 min again change. ok..confirm 'give up'

use fuel leh?

[QUOTE=plsoong;3023290]great advice for a person like me!

not advise lah..just some old war stories heheheh....but it is alot of things that you need to learn and get involve in for sure. But that was why I like it as it keep my mind off work. From learning to building your own all wooden plane ( from simple trainers to actual warplance replica) then you learn about the remote control systems and what each parts does and how to use existing push or pull rods, level..etc...then you learn to fly, trim your plane, programme the more advance remote control function ( especially so for helicopters as it controls upt o6-7 servo at one go..a computer builtin is very helpful if not you can easily crash your heli) and then you learn to fly beyond just round and round...you learn about acrobatic flying and then you learn to fly replica war plane which are the hardest planes to master.

mind if u conduct workshop on how to build aeloplane/helicopter?

I don;t fly anymore for many years now heheh....to teach mean I have to buy everything back again..wahseh!!!..no such deep pocket leh heheh ..I don;t think it is that hard to built if you are really keen and have done some woodwork. I was self taught and the first plane I built I flew it. The thing is it will take time to built especially a helicopter. With Heli, there is no wooden parts...some comes with graphite but mostly are aluminium, some other light metal and lots of plastic. I use to have a few Hirobo copters. Built 3 but only flew one. Each one I think cost about $1600 back then to build up. The other 2 I sold it. It is alot harder to build a helicopter...hundred of parts to put together. It is almost like putting together the real thing. The basic concept of how a helicopter flys and what main part control the heli is almost a scale down version of the real thing. So your school wooden one is just like 1000 time simplfy heeheh. ANd as I say, you have to control quite a few servo controllers at one go so that mean you need a very expensive remote controller that let you control up to 7 servos and then you need to pre=programme them to automate certain function, does certain function when your fingers are not on the two control sticks...etc. ALot of stuff to learn and if you like me like to tinkle with all the techno stuff you will have a ball putting the helicopter together. The first one took me a month to put together. Not all the stuff come with the kit, so you get your base unit to assemble and then you need to get other stuff like a helicop engine which is usually more high perfromance and it runs with a higher nitro mixture. ANd change in the size to get more power or you want to add like a tune-pipe to peak the power..etc, then you need to cut and scrap parts of the helicopter to make room. okie...see..alot of stuff you keep you preoccupied that you will ignore your g/f and wife and maybe your job too heheheh....

A good controller cost quite abit. I was using a top of the line LCD JR controller and that set me back $800. But the good thing about it is ..it has basic mode to handle air plane, glider and helicopter so that means I did not need to buy anymore units. And the good unit is important as it have learning mode meaning it lets you link two remote controller unit so the teacher has one and the learner has one..at any time the student panic, the teacher takes over. If you really want to learn you should try to find out which are the popular models that has that and being use as it makes learning so much more easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Errz View Post

brother fly 6 miin is very chialat leh...very very stressful heheh...the moment it takes off...you are soo busy with keep it in the air and the changing your orientation each time it goes in front of you, to the right, to the back, to the top ...etc.

And you notice why they has difference colour top and bottom? so you can tell from far away if your plane in upside down or not heheheh...wait you land the plane upside down if you too cork eye to see far hahahahah....

Sometime you fly for only 3 mins,,,you already trying to land the plane. I remember the first time I fly every evenig I go home..I sleep very early ....brain all shag!! heheh but it is very relaxing lah heheh...

You must understand why the battery can not last long, if you actually go behind a electric engine of say a glide...I had one with a wing span of 6 feet+ ...when I switch on the engine holding the plane in place, you can feel a very strong wind draft pushing you and the place feels like it want to get out of your hands. It is that powerfil!...so it needs alot of energy expansion. It has to be as strong as a fuel engine wat eheheh....
    Last edited by sammy888; 25th April 2007 at 04:42 PM.

[QUOTE=sammy888;3023388]
    Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    great advice for a person like me!

not advise lah..just some old war stories heheheh....but it is alot of things that you need to learn and get involve in for sure. But that was why I like it as it keep my mind off work. From learning to building your own all wooden plane ( from simple trainers to actual warplance replica) then you learn about the remote control systems and what each parts does and how to use existing push or pull rods, level..etc...then you learn to fly, trim your plane, programme the more advance remote control function ( especially so for helicopters as it controls upt o6-7 servo at one go..a computer builtin is very helpful if not you can easily crash your heli) and then you learn to fly beyond just round and round...you learn about acrobatic flying and then you learn to fly replica war plane which are the hardest planes to master.

mind if u conduct workshop on how to build aeloplane/helicopter?

I don;t fly anymore for many years now heheh....to teach mean I have to buy everything back again..wahseh!!!..no such deep pocket leh heheh ..I don;t think it is that hard to built if you are really keen and have done some woodwork. I was self taught and the first plane I built I flew it. The thing is it will take time to built especially a helicopter. With Heli, there is no wooden parts...some comes with graphite but mostly are aluminium, some other light metal and lots of plastic. I use to have a few Hirobo copters. Built 3 but only flew one. Each one I think cost about $1600 back then to build up. The other 2 I sold it. It is alot harder to build a helicopter...hundred of parts to put together. It is almost like putting together the real thing. The basic concept of how a helicopter flys and what main part control the heli is almost a scale down version of the real thing. So your school wooden one is just like 1000 time simplfy heeheh. ANd as I say, you have to control quite a few servo controllers at one go so that mean you need a very expensive remote controller that let you control up to 7 servos and then you need to pre=programme them to automate certain function, does certain function when your fingers are not on the two control sticks...etc. ALot of stuff to learn and if you like me like to tinkle with all the techno stuff you will have a ball putting the helicopter together. The first one took me a month to put together. Not all the stuff come with the kit, so you get your base unit to assemble and then you need to get other stuff like a helicop engine which is usually more high perfromance and it runs with a higher nitro mixture. ANd change in the size to get more power or you want to add like a tune-pipe to peak the power..etc, then you need to cut and scrap parts of the helicopter to make room. okie...see..alot of stuff you keep you preoccupied that you will ignore your g/f and wife and maybe your job too heheheh....

A good controller cost quite abit. I was using a top of the line LCD JR controller and that set me back $800. But the good thing about it is ..it has basic mode to handle air plane, glider and helicopter so that means I did not need to buy anymore units. And the good unit is important as it have learning mode meaning it lets you link two remote controller unit so the teacher has one and the learner has one..at any time the student panic, the teacher takes over. If you really want to learn you should try to find out which are the popular models that has that and being use as it makes learning so much more easier.

the helicopter one sounds interesting...but i'm sure its alot alot more parts than assembling a model tank! so i'll stay off that forawhile (coz oso due to $$$ issues)....am thinking of doing up a foamplane/balsa/brasswood plane.....

looking around for blueprints got some..

Errz> wanna make boh?

[QUOTE=plsoong;3023425]

the helicopter one sounds interesting...but i'm sure its alot alot more parts than assembling a model tank! so i'll stay off that forawhile (coz oso due to $$$ issues)....am thinking of doing up a foamplane/balsa/brasswood plane.....

Errz> wanna make boh?
    dun wan.. expensive hobby.. me no money
    u pay, i dont mind haha

[QUOTE=plsoong;3023425]

Errz> wanna make boh?
    You basically using balsa wood lah...no other wood will work better or be lighter. Strenght come from the heat shrinking cover you will be putting on the frame to cover it..as you see in most model airplane. That is the fun thing to do actually becasue once you are finish with the wooden frame work and ribbings....when you place the plastic cover over the woodn frame, you buy this mini heating iron like what you use for ironing your clothing and as you go over the sheet it starts to shrink and as the glus stick to the wook edge,it also form tight surface covering and as you do up the whole wing top to bottom and you hold the wind at one end you will be surprise how tight and stiff the wing piece can be once the plastic cover is added to it.

You ask me this many years too late lah...I already throw or given all my blueprints away heheh....I think you can find them on the internet. Try to do a search for it. I think the shops at Fook Hai might have some of it for sale cheap. Check with them.

[QUOTE=sammy888;3023455]
    Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post

You basically using balsa wood lah...no other wood will work better or be lighter. Strenght come from the heat shrinking cover you will be putting on the frame to cover it..as you see in most model airplane. That is the fun thing to do actually becasue once you are finish with the wooden frame work and ribbings....when you place the plastic cover over the woodn frame, you buy this mini heating iron like what you use for ironing your clothing and as you go over the sheet it starts to shrink and as the glus stick to the wook edge,it also form tight surface covering and as you do up the whole wing top to bottom and you hold the wind at one end you will be surprise how tight and stiff the wing piece can be once the plastic cover is added to it.

You ask me this many years too late lah...I already throw or given all my blueprints away heheh....I think you can find them on the internet. Try to do a search for it. I think the shops at Fook Hai might have some of it for sale cheap. Check with them.
    hey sammy,

u noe any DIY packs that can hold say 2XAA NiMh batteries that will deliver enough power for uplift for foamies?

[QUOTE=plsoong;3025429]

hey sammy,

u noe any DIY packs that can hold say 2XAA NiMh batteries that will deliver enough power for uplift for foamies?

Bro I am so out of it...I would make my head spin now to tell you what you could use. You should take a trip down to Fook Hai Building and look around. Every kind of holder or parts you need to build yourself a plane, heli.boat..etc and even a private project like your foamies will be there for sure. It is the only place you need to go to get all the stuff you want to build your own design of craft. EPP (Expanded Polypropylene) foam planes are pretty new and not something I am that well versed with though I have seen and read about them. I saw some of those demo on YouTube where they were flying it in syn to music...really cool stuff.

Hey bro sammy, dun scare them off lar...

It's not as difficult as last time to start flying model planes.

Take a look at http://www.gwsus.com/english/english.htm

The foam planes cost as little as $40 only.
    Really, $400 can get you started, but just like in photography, spend more to get an L lens.

1 battery on a trainer plane (plane with a high wing placement) can last 15 mins on a normal flight. and the price of the batteries have dropped significantly. $30 per pack or thereabout depending on your power requirement.

The best thing about electric plane is that you can learn how to fly them yourself. Just make sure no one else is around.

I've been using the not so legal frequency of 40MHz, dun worry. as long as u fly in a park or dun purposely go looking for trouble, no police will come looking for u.

Last edited by AReality; 27th April 2007 at 10:49 AM.

[QUOTE=plsoong;3025429]

hey sammy,

Nowdays no one use NiMh already.
    They use Li-polymer, the same as those in your handfone, but with a very low internal resistance and high tolerance for heat. Dun try using your handphone battery to fly, it'll never work.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    Hey bro sammy, dun scare them off lar...

It's not as difficult as last time to start flying model planes.

NO lah I am not...honest! heheh... It is very challenging and that is a good thing about it. And there are many varieties these days too. The newer foamies planes I saw are awesome and great for indoor...not that highly priced to begin and you can do it easy or hard like we former old school with big fuel engines and mean noisy planes. The category is so wide nowadays but the truth still holds true in that the model into it you get the moreyou will have to get serious about many aspect of it and yes...alot more cash too.

But as I say..good place to start would be those shops at Fook Hai Building to get some idea as to what your options are and to go online to check it out.

BTW....anyone who is into photography knews the photo equipment shop John 3:16. Well you might then know Leslie.... When I first started RC flying..I bought alot of stuff from the shop Leslie use to worked at. (it was the lonen shop on RC planes and Heli at Peninsula Shopping Centre) I learnt alot from him and the owners and some of the folks that shops there too. That Sam was not even helping out at his parent's photographic shop...yes this is long ago caveman stories heheh... But maybe the next time you go to John 3:16...ask Leslie about flying heheheheh...he might still know something or get you to the right folks. hehe
    Last edited by sammy888; 27th April 2007 at 03:29 PM.

Take a look at http://www.gwsus.com/english/english.htm

The foam planes cost as little as $40 only.
    Really, $400 can get you started, but just like in photography, spend more to get an L lens.

1 battery on a trainer plane (plane with a high wing placement) can last 15 mins on a normal flight. and the price of the batteries have dropped significantly. $30 per pack or thereabout depending on your power requirement.

The best thing about electric plane is that you can learn how to fly them yourself. Just make sure no one else is around.

I've been using the not so legal frequency of 40MHz, dun worry. as long as u fly in a park or dun purposely go looking for trouble, no police will come looking for u.

Hi AReality,

sorry i do not intend to go into so deep...like fuels and stuff............................................. .................................................. ..yet

maybe next time when i have the capital...

i'm intending to make my own foamies (clearcut instructions from RCgroups) and from one of the other forums, been advised on some "budget" (but still okay lar) RX controls with 4ch.....but am lost with why the various frequencies?

been recomended this Esky Rx 4 ch controller......

more imptly, i'm keen on the brushless motors.....(if thats too ex, i'll prolly learn to wind my own CDROM motor .... apparently its most efficient)... (which brand of brushless motor leh? ...for foamie prolly about 26-30"? .... kinda like the first plane...but not THAT big lar ....)

i read the GWS 350-400 D type.....erm...what does that mean?

thanx for your help!?

do u have any winded CDRom motors to spare? (about 20 turns? )

Make foamies? Not now lar... when you know how to fly a real foamie, then start to make 1.

There are a few frequency bands sold in the shops here. i.e. 27MHz, 29MHz, 40MHz, 50MHz, 72 MHz, and so on. Any frequency you can get your hands on is fine. but i'd avoild 72MHz, coz it has +ve and -ve shift. And if u get the wrong 1, your electronics wun work. Each freq band has different channels, i.e.: 40.125MHz, 40.250MHz, 40.375MHz ... ... ... The crystals come in pair, one to plug into the controller and the other for the receiver.

Controller can last a long time. Get one with at least 6 channels and has electronic mixing, don't get those cheap 4 channel kinds. And controllers are easier to sell on the 2nd hand market due to less abuse. My controller is already 15 yrs old and still working fine. You'll need a transmitter module for your controller. Get a module for the freq band you're using.

Next you'll need a receiver for the airplane.
    The GWS GW/R6NII 6CH FM NARO will do for small planes. Range is about 300m. Any further your airplane will appear like a dead pixel.

Next are servos.
    Those electronic arms that moves the control surfaces. Get the PICO+F, the smaller the better. But get a fast one or your plane's response will be sluggish.

Next is the electronic speed controller (ESC) and motors.
    Note that brushless and brushed motors each use different type of ESC.
    Brushless motors definitely last longer, and is definitely more efficient, of coz more ex$ too. Which brand u want depends on your pref. I suggest start with brushed motors 1st. Plane crash less heart pain.

"GWS 350-400", the number represents the type of motor, the higher the number, the more torque. "A/B/C/D" represents the gear ratio.

Propellers are represented by 4 numbers "AABB". "AA" is the diameter in inches "80" is 8 inch, "12" is 12 inch. "BB" is the pitch (angle of the blade). The bigger the number, the more the angle.

For newbies, I recommend the E-Starter EPS 350C or 400C.
    Last edited by AReality; 27th April 2007 at 11:32 PM.

aiyah... this is the most basic and simplest plane to fly.
    its from Thunder tiger - Supercub.

3 channel plane, rudder elevatr and throttle

price is $55
    servos X3 $40 ?
    ESC or electronic speed controller is about $30(maybe cheaper now) to contorl the throttle
    Transmitter and Receiver , the heart of your system, $120+/- for very basic set of 4ch
    battery + charger =at least $50

count yourself how much it cost yah...

but if you're just looking for plane models, i think even those at metro all sell the Tamiya aeroplane models..

Make foamies? Not now lar... when you know how to fly a real foamie, then start to make 1.

There are a few frequency bands sold in the shops here. i.e. 27MHz, 29MHz, 40MHz, 50MHz, 72 MHz, and so on. Any frequency you can get your hands on is fine. but i'd avoild 72MHz, coz it has +ve and -ve shift. And if u get the wrong 1, your electronics wun work. Each freq band has different channels, i.e.: 40.125MHz, 40.250MHz, 40.375MHz ... ... ... The crystals come in pair, one to plug into the controller and the other for the receiver.

Controller can last a long time. Get one with at least 6 channels and has electronic mixing, don't get those cheap 4 channel kinds. And controllers are easier to sell on the 2nd hand market due to less abuse. My controller is already 15 yrs old and still working fine. You'll need a transmitter module for your controller. Get a module for the freq band you're using.

Next you'll need a receiver for the airplane.
    The GWS GW/R6NII 6CH FM NARO will do for small planes. Range is about 300m. Any further your airplane will appear like a dead pixel.

Next are servos.
    Those electronic arms that moves the control surfaces. Get the PICO+F, the smaller the better. But get a fast one or your plane's response will be sluggish.

Next is the electronic speed controller (ESC) and motors.
    Note that brushless and brushed motors each use different type of ESC.
    Brushless motors definitely last longer, and is definitely more efficient, of coz more ex$ too. Which brand u want depends on your pref. I suggest start with brushed motors 1st. Plane crash less heart pain.

"GWS 350-400", the number represents the type of motor, the higher the number, the more torque. "A/B/C/D" represents the gear ratio.

Propellers are represented by 4 numbers "AABB". "AA" is the diameter in inches "80" is 8 inch, "12" is 12 inch. "BB" is the pitch (angle of the blade). The bigger the number, the more the angle.

For newbies, I recommend the E-Starter EPS 350C or 400C.
    wah lau...i'm looking at that HIGH end lor...and i'm not going so deep into it until much later in the future lar...

initially still wanna build my own foamies first lar...

all the parts....sounds like "L" lenses to me liao.... lol

but yep thanx for the info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12