Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 223

Thread: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

  1. #161
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    some have better QC than others
    most electronic equipment are just like cameras ...

  2. #162

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    Technical or no technical, you still have to read up to know more and understand their usage and their limitation. Even you had threw the boxes away, there's always internet to find the entire information.

    It either you live with it or you don't. Nothing is perfect in this world. Afterall, this is digital age.
    as much as i love photoshopping and the post processing, but i HATE to learn about computer stuffs.you know...those ge force lah...those dual triple core lah.those rams, those HDD, those dvi-i,dvi-d,dvi-blah...aiyo!

    my expectation very simple.
    get something that W O R K S.
    i dont want to go into the technical side of it.
    it's like clothes.you like something nice, you buy.but do you really want to know how the shirt was made?will you go into internet to find where it's made and how many persons it took to make it?
    sama sama lor.
    even going to internet to look for computer-related information is a chore to me, cos i'm utterly NOT interested in it.
    analogy to the clothes theory.
    i hope you understand.
    that's why there are probably more guys in the engineering/technical field than gals.

  3. #163

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    as much as i love photoshopping and the post processing, but i HATE to learn about computer stuffs.you know...those ge force lah...those dual triple core lah.those rams, those HDD, those dvi-i,dvi-d,dvi-blah...aiyo!

    my expectation very simple.
    get something that W O R K S.
    i dont want to go into the technical side of it.
    it's like clothes.you like something nice, you buy.but do you really want to know how the shirt was made?will you go into internet to find where it's made and how many persons it took to make it?
    sama sama lor.
    even going to internet to look for computer-related information is a chore to me, cos i'm utterly NOT interested in it.
    analogy to the clothes theory.
    i hope you understand.
    that's why there are probably more guys in the engineering/technical field than gals.
    Sounds like Mac is the solution for you...

    *poison*

    BC

  4. #164

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Hmmmm.....you should bought a Mac!


    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    as much as i love photoshopping and the post processing, but i HATE to learn about computer stuffs.you know...those ge force lah...those dual triple core lah.those rams, those HDD, those dvi-i,dvi-d,dvi-blah...aiyo!

    my expectation very simple.
    get something that W O R K S.
    i dont want to go into the technical side of it.
    it's like clothes.you like something nice, you buy.but do you really want to know how the shirt was made?will you go into internet to find where it's made and how many persons it took to make it?
    sama sama lor.
    even going to internet to look for computer-related information is a chore to me, cos i'm utterly NOT interested in it.
    analogy to the clothes theory.
    i hope you understand.
    that's why there are probably more guys in the engineering/technical field than gals.

  5. #165

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    3) If u r very particular abt color gamut and precision, its really time to conisder brands like Eizo, NEC, Mitsubishi and stuff. Worse come to worse, a CRT. Still, LCD up to now cant really match up to wat a CRT can produce, yet.

    ya, i heard the eizo LCD is quite good. but too expensive.

  6. #166

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by noobie View Post
    Hmmmm.....you should bought a Mac!

    http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...ox_480x376.mov

    BC

  7. #167

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    ortegalanguni,

    what monitor you using btw?

  8. #168

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Jeannie,

    Listen up. Go sell everything on your desktop.. including returning that 30" you got. If you are really interested in doing color managed editing, a machine running windows will only be giving you problems down the line. Buy yourself a iMac 24". It easier to run and simpler to handle. With this I assume you will not need more than 3GB of RAM or are not processing images larger than 12x18. If you are, you're better off with a Power Mac for processing.
    The iMac's built in screen saves u a lot of problems finding a screen to match the machine. If you do go for a MacPro or want to stay with your PC, get yourself a Lacie 321 LCD with the Blue-Eye calibrator package $2800+. It does everything for you with a couple of button clicks matching screen profiles later when you want to add a 2nd or 3rd display.

    Note: I've had the Spider Pro previously.. the Blue Eye is a much better and accurate calibrator. Also note that the 321 is calibrated at hardware level by the Blue Eye Pro..
    Last edited by cibs; 3rd May 2007 at 03:01 PM.

  9. #169

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by cibs View Post
    Jeannie,

    Listen up. Go sell everything on your desktop.. including returning that 30" you got. If you are really interested in doing color managed editing, a machine running windows will only be giving you problems down the line. Buy yourself a iMac 24". It easier to run and simpler to handle. With this I assume you will not need more than 3GB of RAM or are not processing images larger than 12x18. If you are, you're better off with a Power Mac for processing.
    The iMac's built in screen saves u a lot of problems finding a screen to match the machine. If you do go for a MacPro or want to stay with your PC, get yourself a Lacie 321 LCD with the Blue-Eye calibrator package $2800+. It does everything for you with a couple of button clicks matching screen profiles later when you want to add a 2nd or 3rd display.

    Note: I've had the Spider Pro previously.. the Blue Eye is a much better and accurate calibrator. Also note that the 321 is calibrated at hardware level by the Blue Eye Pro..

    cib ah cib,

    i just bought my pc not long ago at near 3k.now sell?
    also, i do gaming occasionally, will the 24imac suffice?anyway, if i do get the imac, it will be a additional computer for me to learn mac.i definitely wont sell my pc.

    so what's the BEST solution now in my case cibs?
    -assuming i dont want to sell my pc
    -assuming i still want to do photoediting though not professionally(for a living)
    -the occasional gaming

    i still have 29 days to throw my 30incher dell back to dell so they go to hell.


    please advise.you guys are really my last hope.

  10. #170
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    ortegalanguni,

    what monitor you using btw?
    a very old Radius Pressview 21" CRT

    A History Lesson
    For the past 5 years the monitor that many pre-press technicians, graphic designers and exacting photographers have used is the Radius Pressview. Other than the $5,000 Barco Reference monitor, mainly used by broadcasters, the Pressview was the premier monitor in these fields. The Artisan is designed by Dr. Karl Lang, designer of the Radius Pressview. As such it represents a similar design approach but in this case with the manufacturing expertise of Sony itself behind it.




    older review

    monitor: You will need a monitor that is color accurate. The most color accurate monitor in the world is the Radius PressView XL 21" Display, $2,899.00. According to Radius: “When color reproduction is critical, for pre-press, digital photography, graphic design, media authoring, medical or scientific imaging, only the PressView XL has the accuracy, resolution and features you need.” Although not essential immediately, you will eventually want a second monitor (one for your tools and one for your work). You will need a second video card (a second Rage 128 Pro video card will run about $150). Any large monitor will do (your color critical work will be on the primary monitor, the second monitor will hold your tools).
    Last edited by ortega; 3rd May 2007 at 03:29 PM.

  11. #171
    Senior Member josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jln Teck Whye
    Posts
    2,110

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Give me ur Dell since u hate it. thats the best solution. Give away ur computer since it dun work too well. iMac is good but for better ultimate performance especially ya jsut wanna work on it, mac pro is great. Rem, Mac Pro, not even a Mac Book Pro.

  12. #172

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    guys, what's the cons if i set my resolution to 1900x1200(?) thereabouts as opposed to the max of 2560x1600?

    colors of pictures will STILL be the same.right or wrong?

  13. #173
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    guys, what's the cons if i set my resolution to 1900x1200(?) thereabouts as opposed to the max of 2560x1600?

    colors of pictures will STILL be the same.right or wrong?
    use the native resolution of your lcd screen is best
    colours the same or not depends on your graphic card

  14. #174
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    guys, what's the cons if i set my resolution to 1900x1200(?) thereabouts as opposed to the max of 2560x1600?

    colors of pictures will STILL be the same.right or wrong?
    U can try already then read down...




















    U will see this text more blocky that before... and pics wise, no matter how sharp the pic is, it will and definitely look blur... LCD technology, u can only the preset resolution.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #175

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    ii do gaming occasionally
    Siap. Gaming.. macs meant for work.. some games ok.. not all.. esp not CS.

    Dont care la.. but if I were you, I'd rather pay for the 27" since its a better gaming lcd than the 30" and has better colors and response rate. On top of that.. it makes use of your current card rather than make you pay for a dual-link dvi.

    "guys, what's the cons if i set my resolution to 1900x1200(?) thereabouts as opposed to the max of 2560x1600?

    colors of pictures will STILL be the same.right or wrong?"

    The LCDs perform best at native resolution. Your 30" is 2560x1920. The 27" is 1920x1600. Colors no difference.. just interpolation.

  16. #176

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    did you profile your monitor in total darkness? spyder might be affected by ambient light...

    stick to your 30" Dell... for photoshop, use full resolution, for gaming, can reduce resolution for smoother action...

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    a very old Radius Pressview 21" CRT

    A History Lesson
    For the past 5 years the monitor that many pre-press technicians, graphic designers and exacting photographers have used is the Radius Pressview. Other than the $5,000 Barco Reference monitor, mainly used by broadcasters, the Pressview was the premier monitor in these fields. The Artisan is designed by Dr. Karl Lang, designer of the Radius Pressview. As such it represents a similar design approach but in this case with the manufacturing expertise of Sony itself behind it.




    older review

    monitor: You will need a monitor that is color accurate. The most color accurate monitor in the world is the Radius PressView XL 21" Display, $2,899.00. According to Radius: “When color reproduction is critical, for pre-press, digital photography, graphic design, media authoring, medical or scientific imaging, only the PressView XL has the accuracy, resolution and features you need.” Although not essential immediately, you will eventually want a second monitor (one for your tools and one for your work). You will need a second video card (a second Rage 128 Pro video card will run about $150). Any large monitor will do (your color critical work will be on the primary monitor, the second monitor will hold your tools).
    wah, that article itself quite historical already (2003)... technology has moved ahead since... rage 128pro video card, hmmm...

  17. #177
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    did you profile your monitor in total darkness? spyder might be affected by ambient light...

    stick to your 30" Dell... for photoshop, use full resolution, for gaming, can reduce resolution for smoother action...

    wah, that article itself quite historical already (2003)... technology has moved ahead since... rage 128pro video card, hmmm...
    ya... Rage was like almost 10 years... in making... even radeon moved on...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #178
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    top of the line - the most color accurate monitor in the world

  19. #179

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i checked already.mine is duallink.
    how do i check 120 cdm2 and such?step by step please?

    so now if the monitor is too bright after calibration, can i use the nvidia option to tune down the brightness THEN do spyder calibration?
    any cons to it?
    else, i'll really have to throw this back to dell coz no way i'm going to strain my eyes though i like the 30''.

    another ques, how come after spyder calibration, everything looks 'warmer'?is it suppose to be so?
    Have you solved your desktop resolution problems?

    I'm not familiar with your spyder2 software. My Eye-one software allows me to select the target brightness I intend to work with. Try to see if there is an "ADVANCED" mode for your spyder2 calibration and do not use any "Easy" or "Simple" calibration option as such calibration is only as good as the amount of effort you place in the setup. If all else fails, turning the brightness down to min before calibration is worth trying.

    Do ensure that your room has even and constant illumination at all times of the day, if it doesn't time to invest in blinds/curtains and proper 5500K lighting. Does your spyder2 test the amount/colourtemp of the ambient lighting during setup?

    If one doesn't intend to mess with all these, getting a mac in the first place is a good idea, but even a mac benefits from a good calibration although the defaults are pretty good in the first place if brightness is at minimum, I'm typing from a G5 at work as I speak and I still prefer my calibrated Dell 30" at home.

    Since you already have invested in a good PC setup, your solution would be to overcome your tech-phobia and attempt to figure out this mess. This knowledge will aid you greatly in future as you will know the basics of making all your gear work for you.

  20. #180

    Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

    My friend at Dell suggests that the apparent desaturation on one side could be the result of a defective polarizing film. He doesn't work on this particular model though.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •