Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

Default Re: Dell 27 inch monitor users, please help

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    still deciding what to get.in the end, i may really get an eizo.sigh...
    this monitor thingy is really giving me headaches.now i dont even know to continue doing my pics or not.
    else, all colors wrong, waste time and effort.
    I would recommend the Lacie 300 series. I believe the 319/320 is under the 2k mark. Color consistency is brilliant.

As far as colours are concerned though.. you cannot have it perfect because your color management only ends at your monitor and not at the printers. The labs/printers could have a differently setup color system that does not adhere to ICC standards.

The best you can do is get a reasonable consistent monitor and calibrate the screen and profile your system. After that.. its up to your lab.. unless of course you want to go over and calibrate their system to yours

This is the report for the 321 vs the 2707 after calibration..
    Lacie321

From here.. the consistency is pretty good across the board though its gamut is significantly less than that of the Dell below
    Dell2707

This report is only after using the Mac Mode on the 2707. The PC mode sucks.
    PC mode for Dell 2707

See full details here
    Last edited by cibs; 27th April 2007 at 10:23 PM.

Don't know if I remember this correctly, but I believe Apple and Dell share the same panel supplier.
    Jeanie, thanks for the info
    I didn't read all 6 pages of this thread also, so wondering if you posted pictures of your issue?
    That would be interesting to see
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cibs View Post
    hmm.. viewing angle is an issue because I do see a slight drop in contrast if I am sitting too close to the centre. If i move my view dead centre or move the pics to the centre.. contrast is higher..
    yes.what you describe is almost similar to what i encounter.

if you have lightroom, open a pic in it.use the compare view.
    this was HOW i noticed the monitor is badly designed.

when i open the pic in cs3, put it to left, lose contrast, lose colors.pull it to center of screen, everything's seems to gain.

to the right, same as to the center.

so why do they design such a crap monitor?i really dont understand.

i saw same problem in 4 of the same monitors already.
    2 after dell replaced.2 from my friend and colleague who is using them.

Available to public, yess.. affordable.. not quite.. its about $7k++ each.
    7k for a monitor is insane imho unless listed in forbes list.

cibs, the calibration thingy too technical for me as i'm not interested in technical stuffs.
    can summarise for me?

what's lacie?another brand of monitor?where to get?

Quote Originally Posted by stkh8888 View Post
    Don't know if I remember this correctly, but I believe Apple and Dell share the same panel supplier.
    Jeanie, thanks for the info
    I didn't read all 6 pages of this thread also, so wondering if you posted pictures of your issue?
    That would be interesting to see
    Thanks

nope i didnt post any pics.cos i'm too frustrated to go take pics when dell isnt gonna solve my problem.
    believe it or not, dell does not send engineers to your house.anything you feeeeeeeel is wrong, they just replace.
    replace
    replace and replace till you song.
    that's what my friend tells me.

one.. Apple used to use Samsung in the past but I think they recently went Phillips esp with the larger LCDs. Lacie uses NEC. Dell if I am not mistaken uses Phillips as well. You can find out more technical info here.

The summary of those charts are:
    Lacie LCDs are VERY consistent in colour output
    Dells LCDs CAN be acceptable if you are using the MAC mode (found in control panel of the DELL) and calibrated properly.

Lacie LCD Asia Site

Note: Lacie LCDs are essentially rebranded NEC LCDs with modified circuitry for color editing work and do cost a fair bit more.
    Last edited by cibs; 27th April 2007 at 10:37 PM.

yes.what you describe is almost similar to what i encounter.

....so why do they design such a crap monitor?i really dont understand.

i saw same problem in 4 of the same monitors already.
    2 after dell replaced.2 from my friend and colleague who is using them.
    It has nothing to do with monitor design.. its the panel design.. the largest viewing angle for LCDs today is about 170+ degrees. The bigger your screen.. the wider the angle from the pixels at the corner to your eyes.. Your angle of view up and down also affect this (try standing up and squating down in front of your screen). Smaller LCDs with the same viewing angle would not have this problem. Maybe LCD manufacturers in the near future would bring that to 180 degrees and we wouldnt have this problem anymore

And so, the issue is not a color issue but a contrast issue.. this is a manufacturing technology problem
    Last edited by cibs; 27th April 2007 at 10:45 PM.

Available to public, yess.. affordable.. not quite.. its about $7k++ each.
    you very bad... temp her with those monsters... but their prices have dropped by 1/3 since their launch... imagine their launch price...

It's strange that I did not see this thread at all earlier...
    Having skimmed thru the last pages, I'm a little surprised at the suggestions given... So, I'll just touch on the facts and my perception.

1. The Apple series of monitors are used by many graphical artists. Hence, it may be taken as a standard to go by.
    2. Ask any worker who actually uses it together with other LCDs what makes Apple monitors great.
    3. The most likely (generic) answer is that the colors are uniform and you get prints the same as what you see (closest).
    4. Check the technical specs and you find that its the panel that is the deal breaker.
    5. "S-IPS" is that type. It's the pride and joy of many Apple monitor users. It is this type of panel that features the largest uniform contrast viewing angle.
    6. However, IMO, there isn't a need to buy Apple because there are other manufacturers (just a handful) that uses that panel too. Dell, HP and Benq are some of them. Yes, there are variations between their different implementations and built but the core panel still remains the same. Yes, its also damm difficult to get them just like the rest of the ought-to-be-here-in-local-market-rather-than-mediocre items in the electronic industry.
    7. Sure, you can't go wrong with Apple. In fact, the newer advanced S-IPS panels are coming soon/already out (overseas as usual). It's just $$$ for peace of mind.

That said,
    1. No matter the panel, contrast/colors should fall off uniformly to the sides. It's just like the Sigma lenses issue. If one side doesn't behave the same as the other, change.
    2. If you can wait, wait. If you can't then S-IPS is probably the best for static graphical work. Moving images are another story.
    3. LED is not the only alternative. SED from Canon is one. Laser projected pixels is another. Yes it is costly but someone has to pay for the R&D

Lastly, the Dell 27" uses the same PVA family type panel as the much loved oldie Viewsonic VX2025. The head turning size of the 27" simply amplifies the fall off issue to a more noticeable level.

wah lau u sway lah Jeanie! u Shld have just bought a 24" from Dell. My 24" so far ok no such problems.

Think your problem is a production problem. The LCD panel is like that unless they use a diff brand. Don't think they change panel can solve anything unless the lcd panel is from a diff brand liao.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
    It's strange that I did not see this thread at all earlier...
    Having skimmed thru the last pages, I'm a little surprised at the suggestions given... So, I'll just touch on the facts and my perception.

1. The Apple series of monitors are used by many graphical artists. Hence, it may be taken as a standard to go by.
    2. Ask any worker who actually uses it together with other LCDs what makes Apple monitors great.
    3. The most likely (generic) answer is that the colors are uniform and you get prints the same as what you see (closest).
    4. Check the technical specs and you find that its the panel that is the deal breaker.
    5. "S-IPS" is that type. It's the pride and joy of many Apple monitor users. It is this type of panel that features the largest uniform contrast viewing angle.
    6. However, IMO, there isn't a need to buy Apple because there are other manufacturers (just a handful) that uses that panel too. Dell, HP and Benq are some of them. Yes, there are variations between their different implementations and built but the core panel still remains the same. Yes, its also damm difficult to get them just like the rest of the ought-to-be-here-in-local-market-rather-than-mediocre items in the electronic industry.
    7. Sure, you can't go wrong with Apple. In fact, the newer advanced S-IPS panels are coming soon/already out (overseas as usual). It's just $$$ for peace of mind.

That said,
    1. No matter the panel, contrast/colors should fall off uniformly to the sides. It's just like the Sigma lenses issue. If one side doesn't behave the same as the other, change.
    2. If you can wait, wait. If you can't then S-IPS is probably the best for static graphical work. Moving images are another story.
    3. LED is not the only alternative. SED from Canon is one. Laser projected pixels is another. Yes it is costly but someone has to pay for the R&D

Lastly, the Dell 27" uses the same PVA family type panel as the much loved oldie Viewsonic VX2025. The head turning size of the 27" simply amplifies the fall off issue to a more noticeable level.

so it's NORMAL?

Unfortunately, yes, it is a normal technical limitation of the typical PVA panel.
    Look on the bright side, you bought a (the only?) designed-in-Singapore LCD.

You can try sitting farther back and see how far is the distance before the falloff becomes unnoticeable...

The Lacie uses a SA-SFT panel commonly used for medical work. I did another calibration report today after two months of use both the Dell and Lacie..
    Lacie V Dell

so it's NORMAL?
    Yeah its normal..

Quote Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
    Yeah.. when you are comparing the crap (cost-effective ) normally given out with PCs against the high end 'entry' level of the Macs...

That said.. even though the new LED/SED panels boast higher gamuts, we still do not know how consistent they are..

Obvious example is the Dell 2707 as per my findings.. I think consistency plays a much bigger role in color critical work than gamut for the following reasons:
    1) no point being able to display more colors unless they can display them consistently.. imagine what you process today looks different from what you see tomorrow..
    2) most labs and many printers may not be able to produce the gamuts and saturations you see on-screen..

one more thing about dell lcd.
    day time, i got to up the brightness and contrast.
    night time, got to lower.is there a auto mode or a easier way around this?

i find it such a hassle.not to mention everytime i up and down these settings, i'm really not sure will it affect my colors

one more thing about dell lcd.
    day time, i got to up the brightness and contrast.
    night time, got to lower.is there a auto mode or a easier way around this?

i find it such a hassle.not to mention everytime i up and down these settings, i'm really not sure will it affect my colors
    ur room got windows? put curtain/binds? those that will totally block the sunlight type. then on the lights.

What you should normally do is to 'calibrate' your lcd to the normal working conditions of your area. If you work with the lights on.. then leave them on when u calibrate... so the usage is the same..
    However, if the difference in light intensityin the room is high.. maybe you should find a way of lowering it. According to ISO standards for color critical work.. the room shouldnt be too bright... about 60-80 lux (64 to be exact).. which is actually just about as bright as dark room with a table lamp... but of course.. not everyone works like this.. usually a fluorescent light is ok.. with the LCD about 100-115 cdm2 (relatively dim for the DELL as its capable of way way brighter).

And yes, everytime u push up or down the brightness.. it will make your final images brighter or darker when u save them.

guys.need help.

dell exchanged my monitor to a 30 incher.

ok, the 'color shift', or light fall off is definitely better than the 27.
    though i still can see a very slight but subtle light falloff.
    sigh...

now the problem.
    the monitor is too bright.even if i dim it to the lowest setting, it's such a strain to look at the monitor.
    what can i do?when i adjust the brightness via the nvidia properties, the color changes, so i reckon it's not the best way to do it.how?
    or shall i really return dell everything and go get a apple or eizo or whatsoever?
    it's really WAY too bright.

another question
    i set my resolution to the max.but the icons in the tray all became very low res..very big pixelated.why?is it because my graphics card cant support this resolution?funny thing is i have no problems viewing on web pictures and such.
    please help.
    really want to sort out this monitor woes...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast