Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: kissing in class photo

  1. #21

    Default

    I'm not about to start a moral debate on homosexuality and lesbianism. I have my own opinions about this subject, but let's keep it that way.

    To be honest, I think all schools in Singapore will not tolerate homosexuality or lesbianism, exhibited publicly or otherwise, in their school premises. Especially so when the parties involved are wearing the school's uniform. Conservative parents will most likely not want to enrol their children in that school.

    What consenting adults do behind closed doors is entirely their choice and preogative.

  2. #22

    Default

    Originally posted by SniperD
    the flaws of moderism
    You mean not bringing the camera or the kissing

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    Originally posted by Minority
    You mean not bringing the camera or the kissing
    can work both ways

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    hmm...the photo looks familar....first saw it here a few days ago

    http://www.nartz.com/forum/showthrea...&threadid=1960
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  5. #25

    Default

    Hmmm, doing it for the class photo is very inappropiate, no matter for real or for fun.

    But i think people shouldn't get so worked up over this. Lesbians and gays are very much part of the society as well. It's pretty common in schools especially girl schools. Girls petting in school and stuff like that... Just that they dun get caught...

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Mr Fish is partly right I guess. Personally, when I saw the picture, I wasn't shocked or surprised, maybe just a bit intrigued.

    Well, there's another issue that needs to be discussed here though. It's usual for class photos to have one formal and one informal shot. And this pictures definitely wun have been the informal shot. for informal shots, normally it would not make it to the pages of the school annual. So how did this photo got around in the first place? Must have been some idiot from the class trying to show off the pictures to his friends lah. I feel these are the worst kind of people. Us being such avid photographers, , let's try not to circulate these photos that put people in a distasteful light yah?

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    And also after reading TNP article, realised the whole angle of the story was tilted towards the school's side and that the suggestive implication was bad. Though seriously, I felt that the girls'action was inappropriate in school, I'm a bit reserved about the suggestive implication.

    Specifically, I dun recall that homosexuality is outlawed here in Singapore. So why are we already treating it as such a bad thing when so many Singaporeans aren't even ready to face a discussion on it properly?

  8. #28
    Sin
    Guests

    Default

    Damn boliao.......

    And I'm referring to the principal, the parents, the punishments, the press, and the public reaction......

    if things like loonies wanting to act like superman or batman (vigilantism (sp) is illegal) is ok for the pic, what's the big deal about people kissing?

    who cares what gender they are? isit ok if the kissing couple is one boy and one girl? So boy can kiss girl in school uniform and on campus for photo?...............
    Last edited by Sin; 18th March 2003 at 04:12 AM.

  9. #29

    Default

    personally i find the comments that wat they did is wrong and disgraceful just shows how backwards we are culturally. Homosexuality(i am not saying the girls are..) is a personal matter. Every human has their right to choose how to live their lives. Asians are just too conservative (read as : not keeping up with times) Watch the Godfather and u will notice Al Pacino kiss his brother on the lips in anger saying " U broke my hear". Kissing is a physical matter. U can lip locl with a person and not fell a tingle of feeling and at the same time u can kiss a person on the cheek and u will feel like u are in heaven. We are just culturally backward. If it were my daughter.... i would let her make her own decisions and not be the TYPICAL asian parent who forces their child into wat they believe and grew up on. and the culturally backward thing not only applies to Human Sexuality but to all other topics. Take and ad and ppl in Sg make a hoo ha that is indecent. But ads have a totallly different perspective in the states , Uk and elsewhere. Even Japan and HK have matured and yet we still live with the kampong mentality .. its really sad ...

  10. #30
    Sin
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by naresh666
    personally i find the comments that wat they did is wrong and disgraceful just shows how backwards we are culturally. Homosexuality(i am not saying the girls are..) is a personal matter. Every human has their right to choose how to live their lives. Asians are just too conservative (read as : not keeping up with times) Watch the Godfather and u will notice Al Pacino kiss his brother on the lips in anger saying " U broke my hear". Kissing is a physical matter. U can lip locl with a person and not fell a tingle of feeling and at the same time u can kiss a person on the cheek and u will feel like u are in heaven. We are just culturally backward. If it were my daughter.... i would let her make her own decisions and not be the TYPICAL asian parent who forces their child into wat they believe and grew up on. and the culturally backward thing not only applies to Human Sexuality but to all other topics. Take and ad and ppl in Sg make a hoo ha that is indecent. But ads have a totallly different perspective in the states , Uk and elsewhere. Even Japan and HK have matured and yet we still live with the kampong mentality .. its really sad ...
    So one moment u are saying that people have a right to choose what they believe in and how they live their lives; and the next moment u start calling people who choose to live their live and has similar beliefs to the majority of people in Singapore as "culturally backward" and imply that they deserve disdain?


    oh, and about "your" daughter, well, we'll like to hear from you again in maybe about 25 years, when u really have an 18 year old daughter.

  11. #31

    Default

    hehe maybe we all might not be here in 25 yrs, Apocalypse is appraoching. anyway , most ppl ARE backwards culturally in Sg and u can see from some of the posts here. Wat i am saying is not to force that mentality unto another.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Originally posted by Sin
    So one moment u are saying that people have a right to choose what they believe in and how they live their lives; and the next moment u start calling people who choose to live their live and has similar beliefs to the majority of people in Singapore as "culturally backward" and imply that they deserve disdain?


    oh, and about "your" daughter, well, we'll like to hear from you again in maybe about 25 years, when u really have an 18 year old daughter.
    My 2 cents. People who "choose to live their live and has similar beliefs to the majority of people in Singapore" deserves their own disdain if the people in question disdain and condemn other's choice.

    Firstly, it is NOT illegal here; that would not encourage more investments and artists to come here if it was. Mind you, quite a few artists are gay; it also project an intolerant attitude. Fact: Tchaikovsky was gay, so was Rock Hudson, the man who created the theory of modern computer, Alan Turing, etc. Asian thing? Hardly. Just look at Thailand, where they are more tolerant. In fact, it is more natural for homosexuality (dolphins and apes exhibits the same behavior) than smoking, which no other species does

    That said, it is a "speak no evil, hear no evil" topic in SG. The girls did nothing wrong but IMO, the newspaper was just being sensationalistic. I mean, you can see girls kissing each other as friends in movies and hugging them. Frankly, Singaporeans are just a bunch of cold people.

    I would rather my kids be homosexuals than be traitors and swindlers.
    Last edited by Watcher; 18th March 2003 at 08:58 AM.

  13. #33

    Default

    frankly speaking, dun understand why is this such a big deal, period.


    regards
    my flickr account

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Originally posted by renaissance_myth
    frankly speaking, dun understand why is this such a big deal, period.


    regards
    Blame it on the knee-jerking homophobia in Singapore, which BTW is an acquire trait.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Originally posted by Gunjack
    Although it may be a joke, I for one, being a guy, would never agree to kiss another guy, even as a joke...
    After living in the States and UK for tens over years, I'm still not comfortable with homosexual /(including bisexual) people around me. Guess it's just part of our culture.

  16. #36
    Pegasus
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by e_liau I'm still not comfortable with homosexual /(including bisexual) people around me.[/B]

    Me too. I'm not comfortable too. The gym that I frequent has quite a number of gays. and the way they openly show their affection freak me out.

    I have nothing against gays, but just leave me alone in my gym to do my workout.

    And flame me all you want, I can't be bothered.


  17. #37

    Default

    Let's ponder this:
    How come it is mentioned that the teachers and other students knew nothing about it until the photo was developed?

    There is no way for them to give a quick peck such that the photographer could capture it without the teacher seeing the act committed in front of them. In fact, look at the "shocked" expressions of the front row students. This obviously shows it was a posed shot.

    Personally, I think even the teachers were OK with it, until the photo spread and the subsequent backlash from high up...

  18. #38

    Default

    *Flame suit on*

    1. I believe homosexuality (whether male or female) is wrong, because it's against nature, and because Someone said so explicitly.

    *Flame suit off*

    2. I think all of us have been involved in youthful hijinks (ask Eadwine) at some time or other, where we did things that seemed fun at the time, but were in fact foolish. My opinion is that what those schoolgirls did falls into this category. I doubt they were lesbians. In my instance, it was as an officer cadet in OCS, where I wrote in the comments book at the cookhouse "What the f*** did we just eat?" (the food was indeed horrible). I thought it was funny, but the guy in charge of the cookhouse did not. He reported me to the CSM, who decided to charge me.

    3. I think that mercy should triumph over judgement, especially in cases of youthful indiscretion. To continue the story above, my friend prayed fervently for me, and my OC apologized personally to the CSM for my behaviour (after giving me an earful about how you should never f*** around with the army). In the end, all I had to do was to write a letter of apology and promise never to do it again. If you ask me, I think it was prayer that made the difference.

    4. In the case of the schoolgirls, I think what is scandalous is the behaviour of the "people-in-charge", handing out punishment and making all sorts of disclaimers just to cover their backsides. As a young medical officer in the A&E, I made a jugement call not to admit a certain patient into the hospital because she was very stable. Along came a letter of complaint from the relatives (who probably wanted to dump her into the hospital), and instead of defending my decision, the head of the A&E condemned me and was ready to crucify me. This, despite the fact that the No. 2 of the A&E agreed with my decision.

    5. I think all of us can learn a lesson from the conclusion of the matter:

    'They must learn that whatever they do, no matter how trivial, these actions may not be interpreted in the same way by others,' he said.

    'They must consider that the effects and consequences may be damaging.'

  19. #39
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    Originally posted by StreetShooter
    *Flame suit on*

    1. I believe homosexuality (whether male or female) is wrong, because it's against nature, and because Someone said so explicitly.

    *Flame suit off*

    2. I think all of us have been involved in youthful hijinks (ask Eadwine) at some time or other, where we did things that seemed fun at the time, but were in fact foolish. My opinion is that what those schoolgirls did falls into this category. I doubt they were lesbians. In my instance, it was as an officer cadet in OCS, where I wrote in the comments book at the cookhouse "What the f*** did we just eat?" (the food was indeed horrible). I thought it was funny, but the guy in charge of the cookhouse did not. He reported me to the CSM, who decided to charge me.

    3. I think that mercy should triumph over judgement, especially in cases of youthful indiscretion. To continue the story above, my friend prayed fervently for me, and my OC apologized personally to the CSM for my behaviour (after giving me an earful about how you should never f*** around with the army). In the end, all I had to do was to write a letter of apology and promise never to do it again. If you ask me, I think it was prayer that made the difference.

    4. In the case of the schoolgirls, I think what is scandalous is the behaviour of the "people-in-charge", handing out punishment and making all sorts of disclaimers just to cover their backsides. As a young medical officer in the A&E, I made a jugement call not to admit a certain patient into the hospital because she was very stable. Along came a letter of complaint from the relatives (who probably wanted to dump her into the hospital), and instead of defending my decision, the head of the A&E condemned me and was ready to crucify me. This, despite the fact that the No. 2 of the A&E agreed with my decision.

    5. I think all of us can learn a lesson from the conclusion of the matter:

    'They must learn that whatever they do, no matter how trivial, these actions may not be interpreted in the same way by others,' he said.

    'They must consider that the effects and consequences may be damaging.'
    Hear hear!

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Zerstorer
    Let's ponder this:
    How come it is mentioned that the teachers and other students knew nothing about it until the photo was developed?

    There is no way for them to give a quick peck such that the photographer could capture it without the teacher seeing the act committed in front of them. In fact, look at the "shocked" expressions of the front row students. This obviously shows it was a posed shot.

    Personally, I think even the teachers were OK with it, until the photo spread and the subsequent backlash from high up...
    I took a look at the photo, isn't the teacher IN the picture? There's really no possibility that the act could have happened without the teacher's notice. Unless she's hypnotised or something.

    Regards
    CK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •