Thread: Tips for taking squash finals. Need help

Default Tips for taking squash finals. Need help

Anyone got tips for taking squash matches?
    Going into the court is definitely not a possibility and thats the glass panel there. Any tips?

Default Re: Tips for taking squash finals. Need help

If a viewing gallery is available on the 2nd level, a top down shot can be taken.
    Otherwise you just have to shoot close to the courts' glass panel.

I can tell you, there are not much angles to explore. Have tried it in school before, most the action shots u take will look almost identical. The serves, smashes etc...and the players' back will always be facing you.

Found that setting your camera to Manual/ Shutter Priority will be helpful as the light conditions remain constant. Just set a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action, can't remember what i set for mine.

Well, just my experiences so far. Don't know if it will help & if i'm wrong, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by RtOaNn View Post
    If a viewing gallery is available on the 2nd level, a top down shot can be taken.
    Otherwise you just have to shoot close to the courts' glass panel.

I can tell you, there are not much angles to explore. Have tried it in school before, most the action shots u take will look almost identical. The serves, smashes etc...and the players' back will always be facing you.

Found that setting your camera to Manual/ Shutter Priority will be helpful as the light conditions remain constant. Just set a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action, can't remember what i set for mine.

Well, just my experiences so far. Don't know if it will help & if i'm wrong, let me know.
    Just like what I thought. Anyone know if the Kallang squash courts have open roofs?
    I intend to auto focus too. Due to the lousy lens I have.

Took for my school before. Stick my camera almost touching the glass panel. A tip: make sure the glass panel not dirty or fingerprint if not, it will reflect on the photo. And some photos will have a reflection due to the glass panel but I took some which I think its qutie "unqiue"? haha...

Yup most of the time u will shoot their back only but if u are alert enough there will be time when they will faced u, then take those shots (hav to be fast also). lightning is also a problem, hav to take into consideration also. From what I did for my shoot is that I shoot some shots when they are facing the crowd or run towards the glass panel (for frontal shoots) and I basically stick my camera almost to the glass panel haha .

All in all, for the sports coverage I took, squash is one of the more challenging one. All the best for yr shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by des1984 View Post
    Took for my school before. Stick my camera almost touching the glass panel. A tip: make sure the glass panel not dirty or fingerprint if not, it will reflect on the photo. And some photos will have a reflection due to the glass panel but I took some which I think its qutie "unqiue"? haha...

Yup most of the time u will shoot their back only but if u are alert enough there will be time when they will faced u, then take those shots (hav to be fast also). lightning is also a problem, hav to take into consideration also. From what I did for my shoot is that I shoot some shots when they are facing the crowd or run towards the glass panel (for frontal shoots) and I basically stick my camera almost to the glass panel haha .

All in all, for the sports coverage I took, squash is one of the more challenging one. All the best for yr shoot.
    Agreed. Should I manual focus? I scared lighting through glass panel not good enough.
    I think I should bring along a wiping cloth. Hope inside of the glass is clear lol.

I managed to use AF with selective focus point. Just set your focus pt to the area which the player will most prob be at, so no need to focus & recompose. No time for that.

Squash really challenging...haha

i can't remember well cos haven't been at kallang for some time, but don't some courts have the glass hole in front at the tin where u can stand below and take?

re assigning ur focus lock to one of the back buttons instead of the shutter buttons might also help too
    Canon 400D:18-55:75-300:50F1.8:tokina 28-70F2.8:
    msn - viroxmk5@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by SnapJaX View Post
    re assigning ur focus lock to one of the back buttons instead of the shutter buttons might also help too
    that's what i do for sports during my interhall games..
    much better config...

You could try to remote mount your camera to the corner on top of the glass wall with an ultra-wide or maybe a FE if you're into that kind of effect. Shoot remotely.