Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Which brand for LCD TV?

  1. #1

    Question Which brand for LCD TV?

    Hi Guys,

    Am planning on getting a 37" or 40" LCD TV for my home.
    Kinda confused because everytime I visit the shop, I get different inputs! Like over the weekend, the salesman told me to go for Plasma!

    Have more or less narrowed down to 3 brands :
    1. Sony Bravia
    2. Samsung
    3. Hitachi (Recommended by salesman and a friend)

    So would appreciate any inputs/advise which you guys have.
    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    I have a Sony Plasma. Don't buy plasma if you can get LCD because the electricity consumption is about 2 times. Also, I find plasma much more glaring and tiring to the eyes. I can stare at an LCD screen for ages.

    My personal favourite amongst the 3 is Samsung. They have nice design and I like the quality of the image display.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    I have a Sony Plasma. Don't buy plasma if you can get LCD because the electricity consumption is about 2 times. Also, I find plasma much more glaring and tiring to the eyes. I can stare at an LCD screen for ages.

    My personal favourite amongst the 3 is Samsung. They have nice design and I like the quality of the image display.
    hi nottipiglet,

    thanks for your input.
    ya..i was standing in front of the plasmas and it was just so warm! it's a heat generator man.

    actually my 1st choice was Samsung until I saw the new Sony series..but it's a little too expensive! Exterior wise Sony is my favourite as the panel colour can be selected to match the tv console and stuff like that.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by lurgee View Post
    Hi Guys,

    Am planning on getting a 37" or 40" LCD TV for my home.
    Kinda confused because everytime I visit the shop, I get different inputs! Like over the weekend, the salesman told me to go for Plasma!

    Have more or less narrowed down to 3 brands :
    1. Sony Bravia
    2. Samsung
    3. Hitachi (Recommended by salesman and a friend)

    So would appreciate any inputs/advise which you guys have.
    Thanks in advance!
    When my old CRT pooped, decided to get an LCD for the following reasons:
    1) Electricity consumption
    2) Less glare, easier on the eyes. Everyone's in my family's wearing specs and I don't want my youngest niece to wear specs
    3) Longer lifespan (look what happened to Plasma screens at MRT stations? )

    Originally couldn't decide on the Samsung and the Bravia S. But after a look at Best Denki (they've got this 5yr warranty thingy), decided on the Bravia S, 32" for its more neutral colours. I told the salesman to play the movie MIB and compared the Blacks (BTW, no offence but Will Smith's skin colour tone and his black-white suit is good comparison stuff for neutrality).

    I don't need monster 40 inch peckers since my house just a 4rm flat.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    When my old CRT pooped, decided to get an LCD for the following reasons:
    1) Electricity consumption
    2) Less glare, easier on the eyes. Everyone's in my family's wearing specs and I don't want my youngest niece to wear specs
    3) Longer lifespan (look what happened to Plasma screens at MRT stations? )

    Originally couldn't decide on the Samsung and the Bravia S. But after a look at Best Denki (they've got this 5yr warranty thingy), decided on the Bravia S, 32" for its more neutral colours. I told the salesman to play the movie MIB and compared the Blacks (BTW, no offence but Will Smith's skin colour tone and his black-white suit is good comparison stuff for neutrality).

    I don't need monster 40 inch peckers since my house just a 4rm flat.
    Thanks for your input bro.
    Yup, LCD's a better choice for most although same may say no.
    Any problems with your Bravia so far?
    Are you playing playstation with your Bravia?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    singapura
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    the ts should consider if its "FULL HD" or "HD READY" he or she wants.. then from there narrow down to which brand and model.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    It really boils down to what you want actually. My needs are specific to narrow down my choice to just LCD. A friend's wife wanted monster screens, so she opted for Plasma.

    I haven't been playing games with my Bravia S so far (I believe the S-series are discontinued now), but so far, no problem.

    For DVD playback, comparing head-to-head with my friend's 40" Pecker Plasma, it loses out somewhat in playback quality. But since I'm sitting at the standard safety distance of abt 5 to 8m, plus I'm wearing specs, there doesn't seem to be extremely noticeable differences between LCD and Plasma.

    Whilst most may say, "The Bigger the Better." I'll pick a rationale choice, "Sit at standard safety distance, form a box with ur fingers and look thru it."

    If u're expected to sit abt 5 to 6m away from ur google box, try not to get anything above 36". Spoil ur eyes, waste electricity and waste moola on extra inches.

    My 2 cents.
    Last edited by jsbn; 23rd April 2007 at 08:53 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by AQVA View Post
    the ts should consider if its "FULL HD" or "HD READY" he or she wants.. then from there narrow down to which brand and model.
    I believe I should be going towards FULL HD right?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    It really boils down to what you want actually. My needs are specific to narrow down my choice to just LCD. A friend's wife wanted monster screens, so she opted for Plasma.

    I haven't been playing games with my Bravia S so far (I believe the S-series are discontinued now), but so far, no problem.

    For DVD playback, comparing head-to-head with my friend's 40" Pecker Plasma, it loses out somewhat in playback quality. But since I'm sitting at the standard safety distance of abt 5 to 8m, plus I'm wearing specs, there doesn't seem to be extremely noticeable differences between LCD and Plasma.

    Whilst most may say, "The Bigger the Better." I'll pick a rationale choice, "Sit at standard safety distance, form a box with ur fingers and look thru it."

    If u're expected to sit abt 5 to 6m away from ur google box, try not to get anything above 36". Spoil ur eyes, waste electricity and waste moola on extra inches.

    My 2 cents.
    Thanks man. Will keep in mind what you just said.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    i got a 32 inch becos i have the notion that 37 or 40 will be too big... but soon after i got it, i realise TV can never be too big for a room. I should have gotten a 40 incher, i use to have a projector that project on a 68 inch screen. However i never regret my choice of samsung LCD Bordeaux series. IMHO they just look so good in the room the rest just looked so ugly. hahaha

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    singapura
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by lurgee View Post
    I believe I should be going towards FULL HD right?
    "FULL HD" runs at a resolution of 1920x1080 and mostly comes at minimum size 40" while "HD READY" runs at 1366x768 and are avail at most sizes. u gotta look closely at the specs while doing ur purchases. oh and full hd comes at a price.. but performance is sweet.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by gomobile View Post
    i got a 32 inch becos i have the notion that 37 or 40 will be too big... but soon after i got it, i realise TV can never be too big for a room. I should have gotten a 40 incher, i use to have a projector that project on a 68 inch screen. However i never regret my choice of samsung LCD Bordeaux series. IMHO they just look so good in the room the rest just looked so ugly. hahaha
    Yeah..the Samsung one looks good too. I am aiming for a 40incher though. Where did you get your set from? Any good deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by AQVA View Post
    "FULL HD" runs at a resolution of 1920x1080 and mostly comes at minimum size 40" while "HD READY" runs at 1366x768 and are avail at most sizes. u gotta look closely at the specs while doing ur purchases. oh and full hd comes at a price.. but performance is sweet.
    Yes, I noticed that Full HD does come with a price but it looks so much better and that's the way that TV's are heading towards too right?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    singapura
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by lurgee View Post
    Yes, I noticed that Full HD does come with a price but it looks so much better and that's the way that TV's are heading towards too right?

    rite now blueray players/disc r already out and not forgetting the PS3, in future TV broadcast signals would be in HD. so i would say yes.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by AQVA View Post
    "FULL HD" runs at a resolution of 1920x1080 and mostly comes at minimum size 40" while "HD READY" runs at 1366x768 and are avail at most sizes. u gotta look closely at the specs while doing ur purchases. oh and full hd comes at a price.. but performance is sweet.
    Harvey Norman is selling a Grundig 37" full HD LCD TV for $1999. But contrast ratio only stated as 800, background do seem more noisy than latest Samsung screen for normal TV show. But DVD or 1080p shows, it seem quite good.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Do not ever get plasma. Unless you want to live to regret it.

    Get the size which is around $2000. Else, you will very fast regret your purchase. Say half a year later.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  16. #16

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    You should consider the Sharp PX5 series.. I'm buying one if my bonus is good

    Its going for $2999 at Best Denki (w/ GST), plus get $300 Taka or NTUC voucher and a HD box free. Tried watching TV channels today at Best and the pic quality was good, not as bad as I thought! Guy said slightly better even if I'm watching through digital box compared to antenna (RF). Looks nice also (piano black finish)

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Try getting from Harvey Norman. Can Bargain Somemore.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Simei, Punggol Central
    Posts
    833

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Check out the lastest Samsung R8 series LCD tv. Colour very very rich

  19. #19

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Harvey Norman is selling a Grundig 37" full HD LCD TV for $1999. But contrast ratio only stated as 800, background do seem more noisy than latest Samsung screen for normal TV show. But DVD or 1080p shows, it seem quite good.
    Thanks for the info. I'll drop by HV soon to check it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Do not ever get plasma. Unless you want to live to regret it.

    Get the size which is around $2000. Else, you will very fast regret your purchase. Say half a year later.
    Ya..i dun intend to get plasma. Thanks for the input.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    You should consider the Sharp PX5 series.. I'm buying one if my bonus is good

    Its going for $2999 at Best Denki (w/ GST), plus get $300 Taka or NTUC voucher and a HD box free. Tried watching TV channels today at Best and the pic quality was good, not as bad as I thought! Guy said slightly better even if I'm watching through digital box compared to antenna (RF). Looks nice also (piano black finish)
    Sounds good leh. Some people did say good things about Sharp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Try getting from Harvey Norman. Can Bargain Somemore.
    Hehe..ya I know. In fact, Best Denki also can. Was there over the weekend and did some bargaining with the salesman.

    Quote Originally Posted by blurrblurr View Post
    Check out the lastest Samsung R8 series LCD tv. Colour very very rich
    Yeah..looks good! Have to check out the price. Thanks!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Which brand for LCD TV?

    I am using a Sharp 39" Now. However, I think that the menu is not that smart. Donno how to explain to you. Haha. Got a smaller LG, the interface lagi worse.

    Thus, sometimes play around with the menu first. And also things like how it changes inputs. Is it thru cyclic or menu selection. How long is the blackout time between mode change, etc...
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •