Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: Serious Thought Required - A question.

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    what if he suffers half way, and cannot tahan
    at least he tried.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Why not tell the group of your pain and explain to them why it is required? then go about taking the option of pursuing your dreams?

    It would be irresponsible to drop or forsake your commitment to the others to do what you want to do, but with proper arrangement it is possible. As for leaving the country, with Email and video calls, communications are so conveninent now, provided we use them. There's a point in life we must move and making the right arrangement to make it all possible is very crucial.

    So rather I think its a matter of how about going to settle the arrangement then to make the decision. If you only think for your whole life, then you would have wasted it. We don't live a 1000yrs, risk it or suck on it.

    Life is full of decision, just about everything we do.
    You don't live their life for them, neither do they live your life or you.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    are you preparing this for your thesis or something?

    here's just my impulse comments

    - whether the desirability and worthiness of the outcome outweighs/overcomes the probability of eventual regret, both from a self-centred POV and a community-centred POV.

    - bottomline is how bad u want it

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by 曹操
    寧可天下人負我、不可我負天下人
    Who dare to say this in a public forum
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Who dare to say this in a public forum
    you just said it.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    you just said it.
    I quote only
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    I recall a mini story of children playing on a railway track.. 1 boy knew the dangers of playing on the track, so he chose to play by himself on an abandoned track. The others preferred the other active track. As they were playing they didn't realise that a train is approaching them fast. You are near the junction control to switch the train to the older unused track with only 1 boy on it.

    Will you "Switch it over and kill the 1 boy or let the many kids die?"
    IN this event, will let the many kids die. Cos they know of the risk, and still play at the functioning track.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by toffeespin View Post
    are you preparing this for your thesis or something?

    here's just my impulse comments

    - whether the desirability and worthiness of the outcome outweighs/overcomes the probability of eventual regret, both from a self-centred POV and a community-centred POV.

    - bottomline is how bad u want it
    No lah, not thesis. I wish I'm doing it for a thesis but I guess I'm still not 'there yet' to Major in Philosophy owing to my lack of vocabulary to express.

    Its more of a "Everyone Air Your Opinion" thing. No arguments on moral high ground or who thinks what shld be what morally or religiously so that each of us can debate within ourselves and consult our own thoughts.

    "Let us argue within for the most constant argument lies constantly within" thing.

    Also, I'm in the middle of a series of personal writings that hits upon this particular topic as well. Since I'm stuck now at that particular sentence with no way to go on unless I answer this X-Road question myself and provide a satisfactory answer to it and thinking abt it for weeks on the end, and the crowd here's so much matured for a serious discussion, thought I might just pose this question here.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Who dare to say this in a public forum

    "寧可天下人負我、不可我負天下人" - 曹操
    U juz quoted.

    Ok, serious. This line of thought by 曹操 isn't morally wrong as well. I'm still looking out for other personal views including thoughts that fall along this line of argument.

    People! Don't be worried about being labelled! Air it! Lets all be open, after all, this is what Photography is training us to be - to seek to see.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    IN this event, will let the many kids die. Cos they know of the risk, and still play at the functioning track.
    Interesting.

    So I presume that knowing the severe risk of even risking Hell and bearing it upon one's shoulders, one ought to humbly bear whatever consequences that comes with it?

    Let me ponder on this....

  11. #31

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Under the hypothetical senario jsbn outlined, it is easy to say, I will suffer, I will sacrifice for the others.

    When put into context, the answer is no longer so simple.

    At the end of the day, we are primarily resposnible for ourselves. I am extending the defination of ourselves to include our immediate family. Here, I will disagree with most Singaporean, immediate family, I define as our spouse and children only.

    So, back to jsbn's delima. If I sacrifice and bear the burden, am I also condeming my wife and children to bear this burden and suffer with me?

    Would throwing this bone change anyone's mind?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    Living in hell - u forever feel the PAIN.

    living hell - i believe no matter how emotionally painful, the group will forget the pain one day. if 1 year cannot forget, 10 years, 100 years, 500 years. but for u, u will be FOREVER living in hell.

    the death of a son is painful to the father, but one day time will heal.
    Nice Paul. I like this.

    But on the assumption of the physical loss of a being, wounds will heal but scars remain deep till the end of the other life which would in return cause another scar in another. There doesn't seem to be a 'healing process' per se.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    I think you should narrow down your situation.

    Personally, death is nothing. But the mental torture that keeps one from shutting one's eyes is pain beyond death.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post

    ... Also, I'm in the middle of a series of personal writings that hits upon this particular topic as well. Since I'm stuck now at that particular sentence with no way to go on unless I answer this X-Road question myself and provide a satisfactory answer to it and thinking abt it for weeks on the end, and the crowd here's so much matured for a serious discussion, thought I might just pose this question here.
    pls don't make me laff out my lunch

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by toffeespin View Post
    pls don't make me laff out my lunch
    Ok lah, not say absolute zero. Still have.

  16. #36

    Default

    my experiences has revealed that there r always painful decisions to make in life. what i've learnt is to choose the better of the 2 evils.

    eg. ur dad has a stroke at 80. dr says very risky to operate but its ur consent. will u pull the plug or go ahead with the operation? after operation, if not successful, the end result is to be expected & u tell urself u at least tried. if successful, ur dad suffer a whole great lot from brain damage (can't talk, can't eat, can't walk, etc), on top of it, the family suffers together.

    which is ur better of the 2 evils?

    another typical scenerio is knowing an unborn baby having down syndrome or some strange diseases, guarantee won't live past 10yrs old after birth, what do u do? let the baby suffer for the next 10yrs with the family or pull the plug b4 its born?

  17. #37

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper View Post
    my experiences has revealed that there r always painful decisions to make in life. what i've learnt is to choose the better of the 2 evils.

    eg. ur dad has a stroke at 80. dr says very risky to operate but its ur consent. will u pull the plug or go ahead with the operation? after operation, if not successful, the end result is to be expected & u tell urself u at least tried. if successful, ur dad suffer a whole great lot from brain damage (can't talk, can't eat, can't walk, etc), on top of it, the family suffers together.

    which is ur better of the 2 evils?

    another typical scenerio is knowing an unborn baby having down syndrome or some strange diseases, guarantee won't live past 10yrs old after birth, what do u do? let the baby suffer for the next 10yrs with the family or pull the plug b4 its born?

    IF my dad had a stroke, he is not able to talk, eat walk or even communicate with us, and is dependent on the machine to keep alive, then I WILL pull the plug. If he can do any of the above, I will not pull the plug. But i will not choose the operation at all, given that situation.

    as for the child, I choose not to have him/her to be born into this life.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    For Child, pull the plug.

    For dad, do everything to save. Cos one day, I would want others to do whatever to save me. If I cannot communicate, already very sad. Even more so if ppl wanna pull my plug and I cannot stop them. Double Whammy man.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    For Child, pull the plug.

    For dad, do everything to save. Cos one day, I would want others to do whatever to save me. If I cannot communicate, already very sad. Even more so if ppl wanna pull my plug and I cannot stop them. Double Whammy man.
    I personally may prefer to die if I am in that kind of conditions (total paralysis, vegetative state without much recovery hope) that is after I have done what I wish at that stage (e.g. meet love one/family etc before the plug being pulled).

    What is the fun for staying alive and suffer like that what's more cause other to suffer more also.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  20. #40
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: Serious Thought Required - A question.

    Ok, a view of a situation. Think what you will.

    I am with a loved one. We are trapped by a man with a gun.

    He say's, "I have one bullet. Either step forward to save the other."

    I would stand right where I am.

    Why ? .... many reasons.

    Starting with selfish. If I am dead, I wont know that the loved one is alive anyway.

    Ending with selfish. I won't be around to see the tears for me.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •