Thread: Pick My Gear for Newbie Wedding Shoots

Default Pick My Gear for Newbie Wedding Shoots

Hi everyone!

Im a newbie to wedding photoshoots. Ive done several Malay weddings including in gigantic halls. So far what im not happy with is that i sometimes encounter blur from both camera shake AND blurry focus. I find the 400D not having a good balance on my hands as at low shutter speeds the 400D seems to float on my hands. Here's what I have but i hope the more experienced here can pick which items shud i chuck into my camera bag:

Canon 30D
    Canon 400D
    480EX Speedlite
    Sigma 500 DG Super

10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    35mm f/2.0
    85mm f/1.8 USM
    75-200mm f/4 L USM

so which lens shud be the main lens on both of my bodies? and wud getting an EFS 17-5mm f/3.5-4.5 or a 50mm f/1.4 help in keeping the bag light?

Many thanks in advance!

Default Re: Pick My Gear for Newbie Wedding Shoots

30D + 580EX + EF-S 17-55 f2.8 is sufficient adding a 70-200 for tight portraiture will be perfect if you have time to change lens

hmmm, u mean i shud buy a 580EX and go ahead with getting the 17-55 EFS??

West Legion

More practice would do the job... your gear are more than sufficient...

Volcano Land

It all depends on your style. Maybe a wide-zoom on one body. And a prime on the other would be a good combination.

Check both your camera bodies by mounting it on a tripod to shoot. If the results are sharp, your blur photos have nothing to do with your equpiment but instead your poor handholding technique. As mentioned by others, work on it.

If this is the case, I suggest you get it right before accepting paid assignments. It really is unfair to the client. Even more so in a wedding where there is no such thing as a "oops. can we do a reshoot?"

If got $$ go get IS lenses? they should be of great help
    eg 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM

Then again, blast your ISOs to the max lors

maybe u can post some pics here so we can see what kind of settings you were shooting with? pref straight from cam with no post processing as post processing removes some if not all of hte exif data...

Canon 400D:18-55:75-300:50F1.8:tokina 28-70F2.8:
    msn -