Thread: Recommend a flash for Nikon 5700

Default Recommend a flash for Nikon 5700

Hi. I am a Nikon 5700 user and am now without a flash.

I feel that the SB 50DX was a little "underpowered" while the SB 80DX wld be a "powerful but rather dumb" flash to be using on my 5700 as most of the functions cannot be utilised. It is rather expensive for me if the full functions cannot be used and I do not anticipate that I will switch over to Full DSLR in a year or two...

Some have recommended SB 22, 26 28 etc. But these flashes are not easy to find and hence hard to compare prices. Moreover, understand that it is better to use the DX series of flashes? Don't know if it is true.

I am more incline to wait until Nikon comes out with something for its prosumer camera, that allows the full function of the flash to be use.

Does anyone have any knowledge if Nikon will be coming out with such a flash that will allow all its functions to be utilsed with its prosumer DC like the 5700? Alternatively, will Nikon tweak their firmware of the 5700 to allow the full functions of the SB 80DX to be utilised?

It may appeared Nikon SB50-DX to be under powered for some user's and camera. But it sufficient enough to go with CP5700. I used this combination before and I was quite satified with the result .

SB24s would be a cheap and good choice. Try not to get the SB50, really underpowered.

Thks. I have used the SB 50 be4 and it really is underpowered! That is why I am looking at 80DX