Thread: Book Recommendation

Default Book Recommendation

Hi

haven't done a book recommendation for a while...so here goes

Workers
    An Archaeology of the Industrial Age
    by Sebastio Salgado

Sebastio Salgado spent 5 years documenting manual labourers all over the world, toiling at large scale industrial epics that are soon to be replaced by machines or are disappearing trades. 350 black and white images brings the global epic that transcends mere image making into an affirmation of the enduring spirit of working men and women.

I've heard that he is an award winning photojournalist (mentioned in the same breadth as W. Eugene Smith), but i still get a huge shock on seeing the photos. They really give depth to the issues he's trying to raise, and the black and white printing is quite stunning. The photos often seem to imply a biblical themes - the first time u see his picture of a Brazillian gold mine with thousands of manual labourers scaling up the walls of the mine, it's like seeing the thousands of labourers building Pharoah's pyramid tomb.

He has the distinction of being the only photojournalist (i think) to have his work hung and sold at art galleries in addition to being used to tell stories and illustrate global issues. So much so some have accused him of exploiting misery.

His answer? "I'm taking photos of pple who do not, materially have as much as pple in other developed countries. That alone is not misery. There are more miserable pple who have more material wealth". (paraphrased)

The book is expensive, but u can read it the el cheapo way - Borders has a few copies left - you can read it in the store maybe over a few days.....like wat i did before i eventually broke down and buy it hehe
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Hi

sorry. correction: i got my copy from Kino, as those in Borders are quite tattered and not in good condition.

maybe due to el cheapos like me who likes to read for free....hehe

i think Kino is slightly cheaper for this book. But not too sure if they still carry it. If u do buy, be sure to check that the separate booklet for the captions to the photos is present. There's a separate booklet which captions and tells the story behind each of the types of manual labour depicted in the book.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Sebastio Salgado is featured in the latest issue of B&W (April 2003). I prefer one of his other books (cannot remember the the exact name... i think it was Children: Refugees and Migrants
    ) to Workers. Felt that the photographs were much more powerful.

Default Re: Book Recommendation

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Workers
    An Archaeology of the Industrial Age
    by Sebastio Salgado
    of exploiting misery.
    Bought the book while in UK. It's definitely worth the money to keep it. A powerful book with some of the world greatest sadness captured.

There are more miserable pple who have more material wealth". (paraphrased)
    Agreed on this one. Sad. No money, misery. Got too much money, also misery. Sigh, give me your money.