Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: How to capture Photo with bright background

  1. #1

    Default How to capture Photo with bright background

    Hi all, I'm new here. I was wondering how to capture photo like this? I'm using a Nikon D40X with AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II . TIA

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    Sorry, what i mean is that the object is totally black while the background is bright, e.g. sunset. Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    If you want the "dark" subject to be visible, use fill-flash. Otherwise, meter on the sunset.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    If you want the "dark" subject to be visible, use fill-flash. Otherwise, meter on the sunset.
    Sorry, i'm quite a dummy here. What's a fill flash? TIA

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    Quote Originally Posted by cairnjose View Post
    Sorry, i'm quite a dummy here. What's a fill flash? TIA
    Force the flash to shoot. It's in your manual.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Force the flash to shoot. It's in your manual.
    thanks! I'm getting a bit too enthusiastic before i can finish the manual.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    Hope the following helps...

    1) Silhouette shots
    Meter the background, take note of the reading (shutter speed, aperature). Dial to manual mode, focus and shoot the subject without the use of flash.

    2) Get the subject well exposed as well as the background
    Same as above, but use flash. You can attempt to you reflector. Btw, easier said than to be done.

    3) Get the subject well exposed but background totally blown out
    Take metering and focus on the subject and just shoot. Flash/reflector can still be used.
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    Quote Originally Posted by Youhong View Post
    Hope the following helps...

    1) Silhouette shots
    Meter the background, take note of the reading (shutter speed, aperature). Dial to manual mode, focus and shoot the subject without the use of flash.

    2) Get the subject well exposed as well as the background
    Same as above, but use flash. You can attempt to you reflector. Btw, easier said than to be done.

    3) Get the subject well exposed but background totally blown out
    Take metering and focus on the subject and just shoot. Flash/reflector can still be used.
    Silhouette! That's the right word to use, been thinking about the right word to explain what i want. Thanks! Will experiment.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    Quote Originally Posted by cairnjose View Post
    Silhouette! That's the right word to use, been thinking about the right word to explain what i want.
    The right word is backlighting.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  10. #10
    Senior Member hhho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    The following example is how I captured photos with bright background

    http://www.myfourthirds.com/document.php?id=33535

    and

    http://www.myfourthirds.com/document.php?id=22358

    The background was afternoon sunlight and the front object (butterfly) cames under the shade (flowers or leaves). shot using spot metering on the front object and "S" mode

    Hope it helps.

  11. #11
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    Hi Patrick,


    Very nice capture. I think you are leaps and bounds above the rest of us (our classmates), you went straight to university, when I am still stuck in primary school.

    One day must tag along, how you find all these great butterflies ah? I can't seem to see any around.

    Anyway, I am very happy to see your images.
    Take care buddy.

    ../azul123

  12. #12
    Senior Member hhho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    Hi! Zul

    How do you do? nice to receive your comments.

    Where else can I go? All these shots taken from AHBT.

    ya, one day we gather the rest and go for shooting

    I still keeping our group contact number

    Cheers,

  13. #13

    Default Re: How to capture Photo with bright background

    Thanks for all the advice.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •