Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [HELP!] Overseas trip- What kind of storage device?

Default Re: [HELP!] Overseas trip- What kind of storage device?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    I tot P5000 is already out.

ANyway, all these options are getting more and more expensive leh.
    those are seriously overpriced... i rather top up a little and get a cheapo 12" laptop.

Now, that is grossly overweight.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

SD card so dirt cheap these days.. buy n bring more cards~~ hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by eunique View Post
    Hi all, I'll be going on a 2-3 weeks overseas tour with my family in May. I own a Lumix FZ5 and I do expect that I'll be shooting a lot of pictures during the trip. I don't wish to compromise on the image quality, hence I'll be shooting at the highest range (5megapixels) which my camera offers.

Would like to ask whether there is any compact storage device with large storage space yet does not need to use any computer as proxy (i.e. which camera can be directly connected to in order to transfer all the pictures) which I can purchase?

I have thought that alternatively, I could buy/borrow more 1GB/2GB SD cards (are there any SD cards of larger storage?), or try to find a computer during the tour to upload them onto my website. But I don't really like the latter idea, cos there's no gurantee that the computer there has any spyware that may be able to tap into my password/infomation.

Hope to hear all your suggestions and inputs!
    Thank you!

If you are not travelling frequently, just rent a PD70X or other portable storage device (from Consumer section) instead of purchasing the extra cards or a portable storage device .

Now, that is grossly overweight.
    agree, but i get to look at a way bigger screen, can edit photo OTG... many more.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecomfort View Post
    Ipod??
    Hah, I've had two iPods fail on me without dropping (well I dropped the first one countless times, but the HDD failed wayyyy after those incidences, and the second one failed without physical trauma). Apple replaced both for free with new ones, so that's fine, and I keep all of my music on several computers, so that's fine too. I wouldn't trust several thousand photos for which I have no backup for with it though

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    If you are not travelling frequently, just rent a PD70X or other portable storage device (from Consumer section) instead of purchasing the extra cards or a portable storage device .
    wow, they RENT those things?? cool! Thanks mann, I'll go check it out

I tot P5000 is already out.

ANyway, all these options are getting more and more expensive leh.
    wah.. really quite pricy le.. haha.. mi think will either rent/borrow the more ex portable devices, or buy more 2GB SD cards

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by eunique View Post
    wah.. really quite pricy le.. haha.. mi think will either rent/borrow the more ex portable devices, or buy more 2GB SD cards

Thank you all!
    buy 2gb more, when return can sell as 2nd hand... lose <$10

When using hard disk based portable storage devices (e.g. digimate/vosonic/zen), do note that the hard disk needs a an air cushion for the disk head to float above the disk surface in order to work. So for high altitude trips above 3000m (e.g. trekking in Nepal) it is better to use solid state storage devices like SD/CF/etc.

The following is quoted from IBM tech support regarding their microdrive:

"The Microdrive does need "AIR" to float the heads and typically above 10,000 ft the mass of the air is too low and the drive requires a pressurized environment similar to an aircraft or spacecraft. At high altitude the air bearings begin to loose support from the air molecules needed to provide the "air bearing" for the Negative Air Bearing Surface (NABS) design of the head. If this "air bearing" is removed or lowered (as is the case with low density air at high altitudes) the head damages the media and you could have loss of data. The drive is vented to maintain equal pressure inside and outside to provide the air and to maintain the same pressure. This eliminates the need for sealed and rigid covers that can tolerate pressure differences.

The OEM Functional specification defines the warranty range for operating altitude as 3,000 M or 9,000 ft (3ft/M). If the customer is mountain climbing with a GPS or digital camera above 9,000 ft the drive might have problems. (Mt Fuji ~ +13,000ft, Mt Raineer ~ +14,000 ft). Please note, this is the operating environment. Non operation at high altitudes, including vacuum, have no ill effects on the microdrive. Within passenger aircraft, the cabin is pressurized to 9-10,000 feet hence the drive would experience no difficulty operating in an aircraft cruising at 35-45,000 ft ! "

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    When using hard disk based portable storage devices (e.g. digimate/vosonic/zen), do note that the hard disk needs a an air cushion for the disk head to float above the disk surface in order to work. So for high altitude trips above 3000m (e.g. trekking in Nepal) it is better to use solid state storage devices like SD/CF/etc.

The following is quoted from IBM tech support regarding their microdrive:

"The Microdrive does need "AIR" to float the heads and typically above 10,000 ft the mass of the air is too low and the drive requires a pressurized environment similar to an aircraft or spacecraft. At high altitude the air bearings begin to loose support from the air molecules needed to provide the "air bearing" for the Negative Air Bearing Surface (NABS) design of the head. If this "air bearing" is removed or lowered (as is the case with low density air at high altitudes) the head damages the media and you could have loss of data. The drive is vented to maintain equal pressure inside and outside to provide the air and to maintain the same pressure. This eliminates the need for sealed and rigid covers that can tolerate pressure differences.

The OEM Functional specification defines the warranty range for operating altitude as 3,000 M or 9,000 ft (3ft/M). If the customer is mountain climbing with a GPS or digital camera above 9,000 ft the drive might have problems. (Mt Fuji ~ +13,000ft, Mt Raineer ~ +14,000 ft). Please note, this is the operating environment. Non operation at high altitudes, including vacuum, have no ill effects on the microdrive. Within passenger aircraft, the cabin is pressurized to 9-10,000 feet hence the drive would experience no difficulty operating in an aircraft cruising at 35-45,000 ft ! "
    Thanks for sharing....now must reconsider my purchase of the Epson liao....maybe buy more CF will be more practical

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Thanks for sharing....now must reconsider my purchase of the Epson liao....maybe buy more CF will be more practical
    epson printer u gettin?

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    epson printer u gettin?
    haa.. nope xunjas, Big Kahuna was thinking of this product from Epson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    epson printer u gettin?
    beh tahan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12