View Poll Results: What do you think of bringing your own carrier/Plastic Bag to supermart?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its a great way to save the earth!

25 39.68%
  • I just need to ask for MORE plastic bags on a non-wednesday!

6 9.52%
  • who cares?!

11 17.46%
  • Wednesday not enough! should be 24x7!

21 33.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hey! Where's yr plastic bag?

Default Re: Hey! Where's yr plastic bag?

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Hawkers charge to profit extra.... Containers that they buy for value of a few cents for each, they sell it for 50 cents. You have to takeaway so no choice must pay. Everytime I insist they dont give me containers and put in those plastic bags, some hawkers will give black face.
    wah dint know there's still plastic bag choice after containers.

lots of other sales places also charge extra becos of our lack of choices and profit from them.
    HP charging points. 24hr convenience stores. Vending machines.

and you raised a very good point. even with lack of choices, there are still choices. its just that we need to think harder about it.

aunties can bring trolleys to super mkts to buy stuff.
    we can also bring food containers to tabao.
    but if its an emergency. then no choice have to let uncle earn.
    but sometimes it might be cos uncle nver buy in bulk so his container prices can be very high. and he definitely wont want to make a loss.
    if that's still an issue jus dun patronise him.

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post

lots of other sales places also charge extra becos of our lack of choices and profit from them.
    HP charging points. 24hr convenience stores. Vending machines.

and you raised a very good point. even with lack of choices, there are still choices. its just that we need to think harder about it.

aunties can bring trolleys to super mkts to buy stuff.
    we can also bring food containers to tabao.
    but if its an emergency. then no choice have to let uncle earn.
    but sometimes it might be cos uncle nver buy in bulk so his container prices can be very high. and he definitely wont want to make a loss.
    if that's still an issue jus dun patronise him.
    haha well for me.... once I kanna one time, I will never go back to that stall. I kanna once. Take away for colleagues on a shoot. Each packet of wanton noodle was 2.50 when the stall had a extra large sign stating WANTON NOODLE only 2 dollars
    when I asked why? Uncle say "TAKE AWAY MAH!!! I GIVE U MORE INGREDIENT U KNOW??!!"
    Errrm only problem there was nothing extra in the take away packet.

vince123123
    Guests

1. Well, you can have a difference in view - but there's a difference between a free lunch, and profiteering. In this case, the costs of the plastic bag have already been paid. We are talking about double charging.

2. Yes you create employment opportunities for washing bowls. But it is a fallacy to say it is better that than to let machines make plastics. The disposable products industry in turn generates its own employees and contributes to the economy.

3. I don't mind paying for the bags if there's a corresponding decrease on the prices of products. Since the bags are already built in the cost, can I get a discount for not using plastic bags? This is assuming retailers price their products truthfully and not with hidden factors.

I feel that you are overgeneralising as every supermarket has its way of dealing with the matter.
    From the ones that I know. those that charge extra use more durable bags which are more costly but for the consumer point of view, it is able to last longer and hence represent future savings.

is profiteering so wrong? personally when i shop for things i am quite vexed when ppl try to throw in 'free' gifts that I do not need and would much rather have the 'free' gift be in terms of discount. There is no free lunch.

everything in life is about balance. the financial costs of using disposables versus employment is definitely an issue.
    but then looking at the financial point only is quite narrow minded.
    on the social factor, instead of using disposables, you have created employment opportunities for humans rather than machines churning out plastics. to me that's a plus point.
    on the environment factor, less plastic goes into the wastebin so that's a plus point as well. environmental costs are often hidden. but someone actually does pay for semb environment to take care of our trash and burns them then ship them to semakau.
    BUT i must say that sometimes its very very hard to nitpick which is better. for example, we are wasting precious potable water in cleaning dishes but water purification can be an expensive matter (both financially and environmentally)

For me, I feel that in the long term interest of our environment and our personal benefit the choice is clear. charging for bags is the way to go.
    I can understand the vexation of ppl who feel that they are 'unfairly' charged for things that seems essential. (maybe its like charging for air that you breath) but think about it .. you are charged for the water that you drink. plastic bags and potable water both need processing. The whole idea of charging for water is so that you are less likely to waste it.
    I am not a crazed anti plastic bag guy. I use bags regularly and reuse them when i can. charging for bags is not saying you can't use bags but use less of them.

There is, just that most hawkers who are profiteering from plastic containers dont want you to know. Put it this way even if they dont buy in bulk, one plastic container does not cost 50 cents at the supermarket. Now even better, thanks to super pro green fellows who are calling for supermarkets to charge for bags and echoing whatever the west say. Supermarkets will profit from charging us for plastic bags.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    1. Well, you can have a difference in view - but there's a difference between a free lunch, and profiteering. In this case, the costs of the plastic bag have already been paid. We are talking about double charging.

2. Yes you create employment opportunities for washing bowls. But it is a fallacy to say it is better that than to let machines make plastics. The disposable products industry in turn generates its own employees and contributes to the economy.

3. I don't mind paying for the bags if there's a corresponding decrease on the prices of products. Since the bags are already built in the cost, can I get a discount for not using plastic bags? This is assuming retailers price their products truthfully and not with hidden factors.
    mayb some dun understand u? diff channel? but i think u did a gd job getting d point across.

mayb should jus propose a "save bag, save $$" programme. d BYOB sounds too close 2 profiteering, not jus in perception (IMO).

vince123123
    Guests

Thanks, at least my efforts were not in vain

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    mayb some dun understand u? diff channel? but i think u did a gd job getting d point across.

It is sad that many people criticise smokers for destroying the environment because they are an easy target but they do not look at the things that they do to destroy the environment themselves.

In a similar way they criticise commerical organisations because they make money but without these organisations nobody would have jobs.

I like to live by the code "When you point the finger at others, there are normally ten fingers pointing back at you". If you want people to listen to you, it is not not just writing letters and posting messages on forums that count but living your life as an example.

You must live your life in an honourable way or else you just become the people you are talkng about.

ttz y we should jus use those plastic bags as per norm!

den ppl in those industry dun lose jobs? gd idea...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234