View Poll Results: What do you think of bringing your own carrier/Plastic Bag to supermart?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its a great way to save the earth!

25 39.68%
  • I just need to ask for MORE plastic bags on a non-wednesday!

6 9.52%
  • who cares?!

11 17.46%
  • Wednesday not enough! should be 24x7!

21 33.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey! Where's yr plastic bag?

Default Re: Hey! Where's yr plastic bag?

imagine they dun give plastic bag, then u put your raw meat, fish and fresh fruits into the same reusable bag...
    Last edited by quekky; 23rd April 2007 at 12:03 AM.

i think this go green campaign is more abt $$ oni. y harp on cheap, filmsy plastic bags when there's other ways 2 reduce environmental damage. save earth by reducing d need for plastic bags alone? wad a lame joke.

wad abt reducing d electrical energy & water consumption? do we need jet black tar roads? no pothole can already wad. read somewhere tt electric car technology was ard for decades but not developed.

hi-tech stuff relay heavily on electrical power 2 operate. photography is a gd example. y make using disposable plactic bags such a sin?

Quote Originally Posted by quekky View Post
    imagine they dun give plastic bag, then u put your raw meat, fish and fresh fruits into the same reusable bag...

Raw fish, fresh fruits, detergents all lump into one reusable bag.

But

then again, you can always buy separate reusable bags.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    read somewhere tt electric car technology was ard for decades but not developed.

There are some tests in singapore...on hybrid cars.
    So far still going ongoing.

If all SBS buses can become electric buses, it do alot better for the environment.

Probably too costly to convert one.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    i think this go green campaign is more abt $$ oni. y harp on cheap, filmsy plastic bags when there's other ways 2 reduce environmental damage. save earth by reducing d need for plastic bags alone? wad a lame joke.

wad abt reducing d electrical energy & water consumption? do we need jet black tar roads? no pothole can already wad. read somewhere tt electric car technology was ard for decades but not developed.

hi-tech stuff relay heavily on electrical power 2 operate. photography is a gd example. y make using disposable plactic bags such a sin?
    Go watch the show "who killed the electric car"

Electric car technology has been around for some time. A entire fleet was even built but never went into the market. The project was killed by the oil barons which includes some notable names in USA and some other oil rich countries. A electric car would be the death blow for these oil companies.

The plastic bag thing is just s stupid way of showing the world Singapore is enviromentally friendly too..

Singapore incinerates rubbish and puts into landfill
    Plastic bags release toxic gases when burnt

In other countries plastic bags are an environmental nuisance. Slow to break down and birds, mice, rats and other animals break into bags dumped at landfill sites and bags fly away, get caught in trees or fly to the sea. Have got a picture of a landfill dump on my site is interested http://www.gfiexpeditions.com/En/EnSRes.htm

Supermarkets create a lot of waste - so perhaps everyone should return their packaging to the supermarket and perhaps supermarkets should be providing paper bags???

P.S. In Sweden you have to pay for plastic bags. In the UK, bags are still free....but changes are underway.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Go watch the show "who killed the electric car"

Electric car technology has been around for some time. A entire fleet was even built but never went into the market. The project was killed by the oil barons which includes some notable names in USA and some other oil rich countries. A electric car would be the death blow for these oil companies.

The plastic bag thing is just s stupid way of showing the world Singapore is enviromentally friendly too..
    smart ppl really do make stupid mistakes & many others suffer 4 it. no foresight.

Ikea is first one to charge for plastic bag 5cents for a small bag 50cents for a big one! they started yday n the plastic bag consumtion drop 90%

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    There are some tests in singapore...on hybrid cars.
    So far still going ongoing.

If all SBS buses can become electric buses, it do alot better for the environment.

Probably too costly to convert one.

easylink cards were costly too... not 2 mention inaccurate fare deduction bug exsited early on tt lead 2 overcharging. ouch... u kno who benefit lah.

oso wad abt d light rail system in some "new" towns? costly oso. w/ d same amount of $$ can hav more buses (even 100% electric 1s) on d roads & costs less. who pays 4 all those stupid mistakes?

vince123123
    Guests

Ikea is still fine as the majority of their products are non-living, non-food, non-wet items. However, if it involves a large quantity of items which requires multiple reusable bags, the same problems arises.

Further, it will not be practical to do the same for supermarket items, which consists of a plethora of food, wet, non-edible chemicals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Ikea is first one to charge for plastic bag 5cents for a small bag 50cents for a big one! they started yday n the plastic bag consumtion drop 90%

i've been telling shops "no need plastic bag" since sec school.. and got laughed at by my colleagues for holding my bread/brush/shampoo with hand and said I looked like I just stole it... The security guards at the exit do look at me weirdly sometimes too...
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Man is naturally destructive. Everything is built up around "making money" - who cares about the environment. So we the stupid consumer look at marketing ads that tell us what we should buy and how we should dress, etc.

Take for example cigarettes (please forgive me if I upset any smokers here). First marketed as something cool and sophisticated - all the babes would love you. Now it has negative connotations with lung cancer, strokes and heart attacks for smokers (and for non-smokers who have been in smokey surroundings).

Now cigarette boxes have "Smoking could lead to death" Skull and Cross - psychologically gives the smoker kudos with an "I'm hard core" attitude.....The government does not do a total ban on it - becos it brings in lots of tax money.

If we really cared - total ban on smoking and help provided for those who need to/want to kick the habit. Smoking goes underground like hard drugs and guns.

"Who killed the electric car" is an interesting look at US politics and how greedy corporates are. Now it is starting to backfire greedy General Motors (GM) as the Japanese panicked and produced their hybrid cars and now have a car that runs far more efficiently than a GM car....In Brazil (I think) - cars run on fermented sugar cane....and once I've investigated India has just bought the rights to produce a "totally" green running car - no petrol required!

Petrol companies and affiliates have continued to push their power to get what they want.....Afghanistan (oil pipelines) and Iraq (oil).

Spore has sunshine and should be looking at investing in solar energy. An independent clean, green solution for the now and future generations. The cost of creating a plant (Spain has a solar energy plant and is looking to create more plants) has gone down significantly due to technology advances and I hope the new relationship with the solar R&D German company goes well enough to bring about the change sooner in Spore.

Climate change is a good thing - it is bringing a rapid change in technology that should have been in place years ago......

Humans are generally so.

They must feel the pain before they'll do something about it.

humans (me incl) r d dumbest smart living thing on earth.

my life's a joke, let's all laugh...

Yes! where is my pollution free car!
    Goverment should start first! All Buses should be greenhouse gas free by running on electiricty and the electicirty should be retrieved VIA solar panels mouted on the top of all singapore HDB roofs! since we have so much roof space doing nothing anyway!
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Does it actually helps even a bit?
    i think charging for bags helps to make ppl stop to think about their habits. Did anyone think why hawkers charge for containers for takeaways? In a money driven economy it actually makes no sense to give something for free to the consumer cos you are spreading the bill to everyone else (imagine uncle charge you 5cents more cos the next guy wants to tabao his bar chor mee, now u think its ridiculous right?) and since you dun feel like you are paying for it. You are more likely to waste it without much thought.

that's my opinion lah.

vince123123
    Guests

The costs of plastic bags have already been built into the costs of groceries in the supermarket. For them to charge extra is now imposing a burden on the consumer as extra costs. And as anectodal evidence suggests, some are intendeing to charge for bags without donating to charity - leading to profiteering.

As for spreading teh bill out, there are costs both in displosable tabao, as well as having to employ workers to wash the non-disposable ware - the only question is which outweights which.

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    i think charging for bags helps to make ppl stop to think about their habits. Did anyone think why hawkers charge for containers for takeaways? In a money driven economy it actually makes no sense to give something for free to the consumer cos you are spreading the bill to everyone else (imagine uncle charge you 5cents more cos the next guy wants to tabao his bar chor mee, now u think its ridiculous right?) and since you dun feel like you are paying for it. You are more likely to waste it without much thought.

that's my opinion lah.

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post

that's my opinion lah.
    Hawkers charge to profit extra.... Containers that they buy for value of a few cents for each, they sell it for 50 cents. You have to takeaway so no choice must pay. Everytime I insist they dont give me containers and put in those plastic bags, some hawkers will give black face.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    The costs of plastic bags have already been built into the costs of groceries in the supermarket. For them to charge extra is now imposing a burden on the consumer as extra costs. And as anectodal evidence suggests, some are intendeing to charge for bags without donating to charity - leading to profiteering.

As for spreading teh bill out, there are costs both in displosable tabao, as well as having to employ workers to wash the non-disposable ware - the only question is which outweights which.
    I feel that you are overgeneralising as every supermarket has its way of dealing with the matter.
    From the ones that I know. those that charge extra use more durable bags which are more costly but for the consumer point of view, it is able to last longer and hence represent future savings.

is profiteering so wrong? personally when i shop for things i am quite vexed when ppl try to throw in 'free' gifts that I do not need and would much rather have the 'free' gift be in terms of discount. There is no free lunch.

everything in life is about balance. the financial costs of using disposables versus employment is definitely an issue.
    but then looking at the financial point only is quite narrow minded.
    on the social factor, instead of using disposables, you have created employment opportunities for humans rather than machines churning out plastics. to me that's a plus point.
    on the environment factor, less plastic goes into the wastebin so that's a plus point as well. environmental costs are often hidden. but someone actually does pay for semb environment to take care of our trash and burns them then ship them to semakau.
    BUT i must say that sometimes its very very hard to nitpick which is better. for example, we are wasting precious potable water in cleaning dishes but water purification can be an expensive matter (both financially and environmentally)

For me, I feel that in the long term interest of our environment and our personal benefit the choice is clear. charging for bags is the way to go.
    I can understand the vexation of ppl who feel that they are 'unfairly' charged for things that seems essential. (maybe its like charging for air that you breath) but think about it .. you are charged for the water that you drink. plastic bags and potable water both need processing. The whole idea of charging for water is so that you are less likely to waste it.
    I am not a crazed anti plastic bag guy. I use bags regularly and reuse them when i can. charging for bags is not saying you can't use bags but use less of them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast