Thread: can a wide angle lens double up as a fisheye lens too?

Red face can a wide angle lens double up as a fisheye lens too?

I was surfing through ebay looking a wide angle lens.
    and this is what i found?

i am surprised that a wide angle lens can double up as a fisheye photo too, that is if you play with the zoom?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WIDE-ANGLE-FISHE...QQcmdZViewItem
    but is it true?

and for a lens that's not for everyday usage, is it safe to buy a third party lens, like the one above? the price seems enticing though.

and i have heard so many positive reviews abt the sigma 10-20mm, and the tokina 12-24mm?

are cosina lens good? especially 19-35mm AF 3.5 ULTRA WIDE ANGLE ZOOM ? i have tried looking for their reviews on line , but it hasnt been exactly fruitful!

please help! thanks!!

any owners care to share their experience??
    Last edited by eloera; 18th April 2007 at 06:05 PM.

Default Re: can a wide angle lens double up as a fisheye lens too?

am not really 100% sure what's this lens really does, sounds dubious.

but generally...

all fisheyes are wide angles, esp after u de-fish the image.
    but wide angles may not be fisheyes.
    the fisheye construct and lens elements are different, resulting in the fisheye effect (extreme barrel distortion and unlimited depth of field).

and also that's not a true fisheye lens, is a fisheye lens adapter. using a concave piece of glass to warp the image. u are losing image quality and control here.

if you are going for a FE for play, this is alrite i guess. but a better investment would be to pick up a FE lens.

for the WA lens, if you are using a DSLR, you got to be looking at the 12mm and above, with the crop factor in play.

Quote Originally Posted by tribal.snake View Post
    am not really 100% sure what's this lens really does, sounds dubious.

but generally...

all fisheyes are wide angles, esp after u de-fish the image.
    but wide angles may not be fisheyes.
    the fisheye construct and lens elements are different, resulting in the fisheye effect (extreme barrel distortion and unlimited depth of field).

and also that's not a true fisheye lens, is a fisheye lens adapter. using a concave piece of glass to warp the image. u are losing image quality and control here.

if you are going for a FE for play, this is alrite i guess. but a better investment would be to pick up a FE lens.

for the WA lens, if you are using a DSLR, you got to be looking at the 12mm and above, with the crop factor in play.

hmmm what's wrong with 10mm? and really what's with the difference between 10mm- 20mm and 12mm - 24mm?

Quote Originally Posted by eloera View Post
    hmmm what's wrong with 10mm? and really what's with the difference between 10mm- 20mm and 12mm - 24mm?
    There's alot of difference between focal lengths, and the effect is greater at the wide ends... the shorter the focal length, the wider the angle of view your camera can take... because of that, u tend to move forward/backward to frame the same shot, and perspectives will change... furthermore, the wider the lens, the higher the tendency to have distortion, leading to different effects...

actually if u're using a cropped dslr, 10mm should be fine (canon has a 10-22mm)... but for FF, it's very hard to find/use a 10mm...

anyway.. i think u're better off getting 2 separate lenses than what u have found above.. image quality will suffer coz it's just an adapter... not a true fisheye...
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

Quote Originally Posted by Adelfin View Post
    There's alot of difference between focal lengths, and the effect is greater at the wide ends... the shorter the focal length, the wider the angle of view your camera can take... because of that, u tend to move forward/backward to frame the same shot, and perspectives will change... furthermore, the wider the lens, the higher the tendency to have distortion, leading to different effects...

actually if u're using a cropped dslr, 10mm should be fine (canon has a 10-22mm)... but for FF, it's very hard to find/use a 10mm...

anyway.. i think u're better off getting 2 separate lenses than what u have found above.. image quality will suffer coz it's just an adapter... not a true fisheye...

hmm i am sorry. but what what do you mean by the effects will be greater at the wide ends? what effect are you talking about? the fish eye effect? or the exaggerated effect in perspective rendered by the wide angle lens? and the wide ends refer to the maximum focal length? in which this case is 22mm?

there's nothing wrong with 10mm. u get lots of WA around the 10-20, 12-24mm ranges and also the primes at 16mm and 9mm. these are all just different focal lengths.

to give an idea, take it as 55mm (though some would say 35mm) as how we view the world normally. so something at 24mm would be taking a few steps back and seeing more stuff. e.g. shooting the horizon at 24mm on a film camera is really nice.

not sure about Adelfin means abt effects at greater ends, but hazarding a guess that at extreme ends, u get distrotions? not sure. wide ends is the minimum focal length, 10mm.

most FE are primes, with the new one from sigma i think. they give really interesting pics. if you are looking for a WA, go for it and not a FE. dun go with the adapters, probably regret it later on. IMO, a WA is more useful.

but i think first u have to descide for urself, a FE or WA.

Quote Originally Posted by tribal.snake View Post
    there's nothing wrong with 10mm. u get lots of WA around the 10-20, 12-24mm ranges and also the primes at 16mm and 9mm. these are all just different focal lengths.

to give an idea, take it as 55mm (though some would say 35mm) as how we view the world normally. so something at 24mm would be taking a few steps back and seeing more stuff. e.g. shooting the horizon at 24mm on a film camera is really nice.

not sure about Adelfin means abt effects at greater ends, but hazarding a guess that at extreme ends, u get distrotions? not sure. wide ends is the minimum focal length, 10mm.

most FE are primes, with the new one from sigma i think. they give really interesting pics. if you are looking for a WA, go for it and not a FE. dun go with the adapters, probably regret it later on. IMO, a WA is more useful.

but i think first u have to descide for urself, a FE or WA.
    i am going for a wide angle? but it's just so pricey?
    and then i was wondering if those wide angle that are of 18mm or even 24mm? wont they be the offering the same perspective as that of kit lens, say 18-55mm?
    then am i correct to assume that i might as well not buy those wide angle lens? and if i do buy, i shld buy a lens with a focal length that is not in my current set up?

my current set up for now : nikon d50, 18-55mm, vivitar 70-210mm

sorry i never explain myself clearly..

at very wide angles, there's a tendency to get distortion.. that's one thing..

another thing is the effect of perspectives...

at 10mm, a change of just 1mm will be great, and can affect angles of view and perspectives as u move to frame your shots..

at 200mm, a change of 1mm is not going to affect your image much because the focal length is so long.. the relative change is much less in the telephoto range..

with that said... if u can get a ultra wide angle, u'd have alot of different perspectives to explore.. which u may or may not like...

if u already have 18mm den an ultra wide is a good choice... or actually 18mm is wide enough for most purposes... while other wide angles offer the same focal lengths, the build and image quality of the lens would differ from the kit lens, some wide angles also have larger apertures, useful for focusing and low light photography...
    Last edited by Adelfin; 19th April 2007 at 09:06 PM.
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie: