Thread: How to get to Carribean from Singapore?

Default How to get to Carribean from Singapore?

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for a summer job in the Caribbean, and would like to know what's a good (and cheap!) way of getting there from Singapore.

I know I'll have to fly there, so what are the possible routes there? Fly to which country/state/city to connect to the British Virgin islands?

Hope some of the well-travelled members can help me out here!

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: How to get to Carribean from Singapore?

wow, nice! trip of a lifetime.. can do your diving there also

Woah, a summer job!? Do share how you managed to get a job in the carribeans

Yeahh... do share... What job is it?
    I'm also looking for job leh...

yup, thats the plan! work+dive for 2 months before joining the workforce in singapore!

its a sailing mate/divemaster position with a teen experiential learning program in the caribbean. also applying for positions in the great barrier reef and maldives at the same time. hehe if not next time start work can't find the time to go to such places anymore.

got these lobangs from the tons of dive-related job listings in the padimembers website..which is only for padi dive professionals unfortunately...

the most direct and common route would be through the US, e.g. sg-> narita->newyork->virgin islands. u can try exploring transiting through uk also. great place, while there, do explore the other islands, dominican, jamica... great places. tons of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tribal.snake View Post
    the most direct and common route would be through the US, e.g. sg-> narita->newyork->virgin islands. u can try exploring transiting through uk also. great place, while there, do explore the other islands, dominican, jamica... great places. tons of fun.
    great, thanks!

any idea what are the other transit areas other than new york? my friends suggested miami and florida as well.

at least now i know where to start hunting for tickets!

The most direct route is Singapore to Europe to Carribean. Depends on where. I had travelled in the Carribean alot. The main hub is San Juan, P.R. Another hub is Miami.

There are lots of flights out to the Caribean from Amsterdam, Frankfurt, and Paris. I would try Amsterdam first. It's a cheaper hub in Europe, and lots of flights going to the Carribean.

Which island are you going to will determine your exact iti.

If it's northern Carribean, Miami or San Juan are good hubs. Southern Carribean, San Juan and even Trinadad will be good. All depends on where you are going.

Try to avoid London or New York, unless the cheap fare routes you thru. cheap fares rarely routes you thru those 2 airports.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I last travelled to the Carribean for business in 1989.

I remember leaving Singapore on a British Airways flight to London on a Friday evening, waited a few hours to catch a connecting flight to Miami in Florida around evening time. Checked into a hotel that night and caught a flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico but my flight to my final destination, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands was delayed and by the time I finally got to the place, it was 2.00 pm local time Sunday. Taking into account the time difference, exactly 12 hours behind, this was a total of 52 hours on the road.

I later realized that it was more convenient to transit in New York instead of Miami as there were many more connecting flights. Do check this out. In those days, flying the other way round across the Pacific would take even longer.

In the present days, it is much easier to find the route that suits you best via the Internet, both in term of budget or speed.

If you are into diving, do check out Buck Island that is a short boat ride from Christiansted in St. Croix. Its water and beach are superb and I remember reading a National Geography Magazine ranking its beach as no. 3 in the world.

If you are there, also pay a visit to St. Thomas, the commercial capital of USVI. This is a major centre for cruise ships. You will love this area.

British Virgin Islands offer equally nice water. Check out Tortola and Virgin Gorda, I was out in a sail yacht crusing around both the US and British VIs and caught sight of a large flock of pelicans diving for food. Also check out the stingrays. They are lovely creatures and you can literally swim along with them. They are quite harmless as long as you don't provoke them although Steve Irwin died from a sting to his heart.

Careful of em pirates yo.

Why everyone so lucky one..?

I oso want to find a job who goes everywhere..
    (except everywhere in Singapore).

Talking Re: How to get to Carribean from Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by pingo View Post
    Careful of em pirates yo.
    Yeah you can check with CPT Jack Sparrow, The Flying Dutchman or Chow Yuen Fatt's "Welcome to Singapore" lol.

Enjoy

haha thanks for your advice guys...i'll watch out for 'em pirates and use my trusty stingray to fend them off!

i'll look at those hubs and try to find a route that suits my budget. thanks for the invaluable advice..exactly what i was looking for. zuji doesnt provide any route advice from sg to british virgin islands...heh.

i guess there are lots of such jobs available..just need to know where to look! saw an opening for u/w photographer at the great barrier reef, pay is AUD32-37k a year, and you can demo and try the equipment in the shop and buy them at special rates. cool bananas!

If you are going to BVI, you need to fly into Beef Island, Tortola, BVI. Best hub to catch a flight there is San Juan, P.R.

I will definately go thru Europe.

Btw, when you get to BVI, 3 places are must visit - The Baths on Virgin Gorda for the spectacular boulders, only other place you can find similar boulders is Scheychelles; Foxy's on Josh Van Dyke, the best beach bar in the world and do try the hurricane; and Anegada, the entire island was on a coral reef system, the highest point is about 5 meter above sea level.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio