Thread: Fashion shoot... How to?

Default Fashion shoot... How to?

Shutterbugs,

My company is looking to do up our fashion brand's image shots for commercial purposes.

Question, how to go about arranging and who should we look to? Advertising agencies or stylists or photographers?

Default Re: Fashion shoot... How to?

If is for your house brand sure you have an In House stylist, right? or u might consider get a fashion stylist vet thru ur wardrobe & plan the styling for shoot- then u might have a clear mind WHEN & WHERE to shoot. Or you engage a photographer that work tight will Stylist (AD)/ Makeup Artist & Hair Stylist- some people might be multi-tasking thru. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bergamot View Post
    Shutterbugs,

My company is looking to do up our fashion brand's image shots for commercial purposes.

Question, how to go about arranging and who should we look to? Advertising agencies or stylists or photographers?

Can I also find out if this kind of shot cost much? (Mannequin with plain background) What would the usual market rate be?

Thanks.

So you are doing a lookbook (as shown in the picture you posted) rather than a campaign series or both?

For lookbook

* Get a tall (>1.72m) girl (can be from model agency, freelance or friends) ($100-$1.5K)
    * Makeup/hair (can ask a friend or engage a fashion makeup/hair) ($100-$600)
    * Fashion stylist (can be fresh or celebrity stylist) ($250- $2.5k)
    * Photographer (can be fresh or seasoned fashion photographer) ($100-$2.5K)
    * Studio/prop/sets ($60-$500)

Can I also find out if this kind of shot cost much? (Mannequin with plain background) What would the usual market rate be?

Thanks.

This is just a simple edge out shoot using a mannequin. Some photographers will charge by the no of shots/outfit while others will charge by the hour/day.

Avg. cost:
    per shot/outfit: from $30/- to $150/- depanding on how many shots total and the level of the photographer.

Per day: From $70/- to $150/- per hour
    From $400/- to $800/- per half day
    From $700/- to $1500/- per day

This is just a guild and quotation will deffer from photographer to photographer depanding on the level of the photographer and the kind of rights release you require.

PS: The above guild do not include the higher end photographers who charge much higher.

Hope it helps.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Guys, thanks for all your contribution, I have a better understanding now...

Are there any recommendations (person or agencies) or fave sites where you get ideas or inspiration for such fashion shoots?

Buckteeth LCL: Yes, we are looking at both campaign image shots and mannequin shots for webby.

go to a bookshop magazine section or fashion section, or a magazine stand, and browse... if you like anything you see, buy the book or magazine...

if you don't need an advertising campaign, you might not need to approach an ad agency... just approach a photo studio that handles production of shoots... look through their portfolio, and ask them for suggestions and chose the studio which gives you a look you like... but if it is like the image above, then not really need much creative input...

please don't shop around to look for the best ideas from each studio and then give those ideas to the cheapest photog to shoot... not only might the studio that gave those ideas sue, it is also not very ethical...

if you are going to use a person instead of a plastic mannequin, be aware that there are different classes of "model"s... "model" models and "talent" models... the first one is the classic kind, the type who go on runways and stuff and those will be more ex... the second kind, who usually cannot become "model" models because they are not tall enough, are not distinctive looking enough, etc, is cheaper but not necessarily not as good looking or professional... make sure the one/s chosen suits the image of your clothes... don't believe their comp cards, you have to cast them in person as well... and better still if can have fitting session...
    Last edited by theRBK; 18th April 2007 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    please don't shop around to look for the best ideas from each studio and then give those ideas to the cheapest photog to shoot... not only might the studio that gave those ideas sue, it is also not very ethical...
    Hmmm I dunno if my question is relevant... I understand where you are coming from on this. But can one lay a claim on idea?

Example, I see a particularly nice photo. I take note of how the original photographer had shot the picture. I make a shot that is similar in style. Sure, I am guilty of not being more creative. But I don't think there is grounds for "sue". Afterall, it is just an idea no?

Whether consciously or unconsciously, I think we absorb influences from the works of others that we view and sublimally apply it to our own.

At any rate, any ideas supplied prior to taking money are usually very vague I think. And probably wouldn't be of much use in transmitting a particular "vision".

Guys, thanks for all your contribution, I have a better understanding now...

Are there any recommendations (person or agencies) or fave sites where you get ideas or inspiration for such fashion shoots?

Buckteeth LCL: Yes, we are looking at both campaign image shots and mannequin shots for webby.
    If it's just edge out, mannequin shots, most photographers will be able to do it, don't need an ad agency to do it for you.

If it's a campaign you're going for, than you'll at least need to have a good in house marketing and A&P dept, a design house or an ad agency.
    Running an ad campaign will involve market targetting, media planning, cost control, pre and post production planning and execution, etc. A design house or ad agency will be better to advice you on the cost and effectiveness of your campaign as well as to creat a campiagn for you. Yes, you can try to pick up creative ideas from books but full time creative people will have the advantage of doing it everyday. You may also end up paying a higher fee ( media houses gives comm. to media bookers which some design house/agency may channel back to the client ). Point to remember is that Creativity of an image for art or just to make it look nice is diff from creativity for commercial purpose.

Cheers.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Hmmm I dunno if my question is relevant... I understand where you are coming from on this. But can one lay a claim on idea?

Example, I see a particularly nice photo. I take note of how the original photographer had shot the picture. I make a shot that is similar in style. Sure, I am guilty of not being more creative. But I don't think there is grounds for "sue". Afterall, it is just an idea no?

Whether consciously or unconsciously, I think we absorb influences from the works of others that we view and sublimally apply it to our own.

At any rate, any ideas supplied prior to taking money are usually very vague I think. And probably wouldn't be of much use in transmitting a particular "vision".
    I agreed. Many a times stylist or client will come in with some mag cut outs to use as sample or as a guild to let the photographer know the concept/look they want. Nothing wrong with that. But I do also agreed with theRBK not to " shop around to look for the best ideas from each studio and then give those ideas to the cheapest photog to shoot... " Just for the very reason that the "cheapest photographer" may not be able to pull it off. And this is going to cost you time and money.

that was a worse case scenario... some studios might get a whole mood board together, with detailed styles and direction for the shoot... if it is distinctive enough, it might constitute intellectual property... always good to play safe

and even if not a legal problem, it will look bad for client and the undertaking photographer...

Hmmmm. Okay. This intellectual property thing has always been a little of a grey area. Thanks for enlightening