Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Is PSS membership worth the while?

  1. #1

    Default Is PSS membership worth the while?

    I was looking at the PSS for a while now, but cannot decide what can they really offer an amateur like me.

    Being a uni student, I don't think I fall into their <18 cat for cheaper membership. Even so, their courses are on average $200+ for members.

    Just wanted to hear frm ple who are members or were members, how did the PSS benefit you? Or for those who had considered but decided not to, what made you decide PSS wasn't worth your while?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    I'm a member. If you intend to take courses from PSS, then the membership is worth while.
    The course fees for multiple session courses are $100 cheaper if you're a member.

    Networking, meeting and getting to know other photographers, knowledge, experiences gained, Distinctions (e.g. LPSS, APSS, FPSS) would make it worth while if these are what you're looking for.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    hi, an honest question, hope it doesn't sound bad: what are the reasons for going after those distinctions? in the industry, portfolio matters more right? any other reason besides setting yourself a target to work towards and getting some self-satisfaction?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    hi, an honest question, hope it doesn't sound bad: what are the reasons for going after those distinctions? in the industry, portfolio matters more right? any other reason besides setting yourself a target to work towards and getting some self-satisfaction?
    Then got right to charge extra!
    The titles may help the photographer clinch certain jobs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    Yes. Look at Nikon's quarterly freebie mag. Uh.. Focus?. Haha. You can see someone's name complete with all the weird titles which mean nothing to me.

    Afterthought: It's just a comment on "Why the need for so many titles?". Nothing personal against the person in question.
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 16th April 2007 at 11:49 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    hi, an honest question, hope it doesn't sound bad: what are the reasons for going after those distinctions? in the industry, portfolio matters more right? any other reason besides setting yourself a target to work towards and getting some self-satisfaction?
    It's called ego.. these people with such titles will not become professional photographers. Professional photographers have different titles.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sykestang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    studiospace
    Posts
    5,550

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    It's called ego.. these people with such titles will not become professional photographers. Professional photographers have different titles.
    Titles like?

    Sorry, no offense.
    Visit me at my studio: http://www.studiospace.com.sg

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    I personally don't see anything wrong with getting these distinctions. The pictures taken by some of these photographers are indeed stunning. No harm that the industry has some amount of distinction and "certification", I think it helps the industry develop and mature.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    We actually cannot comment too much on this issue, as they can easily sue us if we cross the line.

    Need more discussion about this, perhaps you can use the PM.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    It's called ego.. these people with such titles will not become professional photographers. Professional photographers have different titles.
    So, just curious here, what kind of titles will professional photographers have?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar Su View Post
    So, just curious here, what kind of titles will professional photographers have?
    "Director of photography" ?

    always saw this title in movie credits

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    "Director of photography" ?

    always saw this title in movie credits


    thanks for the laugh

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar Su View Post
    So, just curious here, what kind of titles will professional photographers have?
    Apart from those mentioned in my previous post (#2), there are The three levels of Distinction from The Royal Photographic Society:

    Licentiateship: The Licentiateship (LRPS) is normally the entry level Distinction and is awarded for a good level of basic skill and competence.

    Associateship: The Associateship (ARPS) is awarded for a high standard of technical competence and individual creative ability.

    Fellowship: The Fellowship (FRPS) is awarded for exceptional standards of excellence and distinguished ability.

    The award of a Distinction entitles members to use the letters LRPS, ARPS or FRPS after their name.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is PSS membership worth the while?

    Quote Originally Posted by quinton View Post
    I was looking at the PSS for a while now, but cannot decide what can they really offer an amateur like me.

    Being a uni student, I don't think I fall into their <18 cat for cheaper membership. Even so, their courses are on average $200+ for members.

    Just wanted to hear frm ple who are members or were members, how did the PSS benefit you? Or for those who had considered but decided not to, what made you decide PSS wasn't worth your while?

    Thanks.
    Yo, bro I guess i was in your shoes abt a yr ago. I'm a member of pss n took their studio course. IMO, i think it din really help much. cos the instructors tend to be more reserved ... maybe we are bewbie n they dun wanna bombard us with a lotta info, but I din learn much frm those sessions, those they taught i think could be found in readings
    why not join ur uni's society, they will have basic course & darkroom, I use my uni's facility more often now

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •