Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: driving up to KL

Default Re: driving up to KL

I do the KL-Singapore via the Second Link very often, being a frequent visitor to Singapore.

About your trip to Malaysia this weekend :

After crossing the Second Link, follow the direction of Kuala Lumpur (do not go the direction of Johor Baru). You will pass through 2 toll booths before you hit the North-South Highway which will take you all the way to Kuala Lumpur. Estimated journey time : 3-3.5 hours.

If you don't go beyond 110km/h you need not fear. Otherwise watch out for speed traps. If you need to stop for a pee or a rest or whatever, there are several rest and eat places along the way. You won't miss the loo and the fork and spoon signages.

I assume that you will be travelling to KL on Friday but if it's on a Sunday evening, you will meet with quite heavy traffic as you approach Seremban, a town about 45 mins away from KL.

You will reach the Sungai Besi toll in about 3-3.5 hours. Make sure that you take the correct lane (there are about 15 lanes there) at the toll booth. Unless you have one of the 2 prepaid cards i.e Touch n Go or Smart Tag cards, please avoid the lanes reserved for them. These lanes have their blue and yellow coloured logo boards displayed at the top. Instead, you must take one of the TUNAI (i.e. cash) lanes. If you get into the wrong lane, it can be quite messy trying to wriggle out and into the correct lane.

After that toll booth you head into KL and much will depend on where you intend to go. I can't resist speculating that you will head for Genting, like most of my friends south of the border do haha.

Have a great weekend.

Rgds,
    Francis.
    Last edited by ft_cyberjaya; 17th April 2007 at 01:39 PM.

And lately, there are quite a few road works along the NS Highway, around Seremban area. Got to be careful and watch out for the signs. That means a lot of braking and accelerating to do along that stretch. And it definitely would slow you down by at least 1/2hr or so in your entire journey.

And dun forget to check your tyre pressure too before the long drive.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Also check your water levels (radiator as well as the wiper wash tank), as ell as the oil levels, engine and auto-transmission, belts, etc. If this is your first trip, take your car into a garage and ask them to do all these things for you. Watch and learn so you can do them yourself for the return journey. Happy & safe driving!

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture View Post
    And lately, there are quite a few road works along the NS Highway, around Seremban area. Got to be careful and watch out for the signs. That means a lot of braking and accelerating to do along that stretch. And it definitely would slow you down by at least 1/2hr or so in your entire journey.

And dun forget to check your tyre pressure too before the long drive.
    to be precise, the road works starts from Ayer Keroh, Melaka up till Seremban. Only single lane on some parts. Same for the return trip.

Watch out for overhead bridges and illuminated places (at night) for speed traps.

Quote Originally Posted by syl View Post
    Sorry to OT a little but where can you buy a Touch n Go card? I find that they are useful if you want to avoid long queues when paying tolls.
    If you enter M'sia via the 2nd Link, the very first toll collection point sells the T&G cards. Problem is the card is sold at the other side (entering Sg).

If I remember, the price was like RM35 for a RM20 value; the difference is the deposit for the card. They close around 7pm I think.

hi guys, thank you very much. i have made my maiden trip into kl on road via NS HIGHWAY.

much thanks to all the tips, the trip up was very easy. i drove around 140-150kmh and traffic was light. yeah always keep clear of the 1s lane unless overtaking or driving really fast.

the way back was much trickier as i found it hard to trust the kl city road sign. some were wrong, but the advice to head in the driection of seremban then johore is right... you will eventually end up on the NS highway.

this weekend i will be driving up to malacca, i feel more confident now.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by sc360 View Post
    Watch out for overhead bridges and illuminated places (at night) for speed traps.
    OT: they have speed traps at night??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12