Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: any experience with helicopter photography

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Punggol Drive
    Posts
    111

    Default any experience with helicopter photography

    hi, anyone has any experience taking photos from a helicopter?
    vibrations?
    zoom lens?

  2. #2

    Default Re: any experience with helicopter photography

    The proper way to take pictures from any moving vehicle would be to use gyroscopes and dampeners (for vibration). Of course in a car or a train gyroscopes aren't needed since they don't usually pitch, roll, or yaw, but in a helicopter these movements happen frequently.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: any experience with helicopter photography

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    The proper way to take pictures from any moving vehicle would be to use gyroscopes and dampeners (for vibration). Of course in a car or a train gyroscopes aren't needed since they don't usually pitch, roll, or yaw, but in a helicopter these movements happen frequently.
    This is from your own experience?

    HS

  4. #4
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: any experience with helicopter photography

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    The proper way to take pictures from any moving vehicle would be to use gyroscopes and dampeners (for vibration). Of course in a car or a train gyroscopes aren't needed since they don't usually pitch, roll, or yaw, but in a helicopter these movements happen frequently.
    Bro, just checking but have you actually taken aerial photos before? Sure a gyro can ensure low shutter speeds and a stable platform but one can shoot handheld from a chopper as I have done many times in the past using 35mm and MF cameras. All depends on time of day and weather. Equipment wise, it depends on the type of shot and the altitude the chopper is allowed to hover. Here in Singapore there are strict limits to the flight path and altitude the pilot can fly, plus chopper time is expensive, so one has to work very fast. Typically I used 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and rarely a 105mm lenses on 35mm format. One person to shoot and another to load film and shoot with a backup camera. Zooms would rarely be used because: 1) the chopper is always moving and there isn't time to compose, so sequential shooting is a must, and we already know the rough angle of view of the prime lens we're using 2) light levels can be extremely bright since the chopper is usually flying in a large descending spiral over the subject, so lens flare is an issue, hence fast primes over zooms and no filters where possible. Flying in a chopper is very noisy, so everyone wears a headset to cut out the noise and to communicate with one another. There is noticeable vibration so shooting is usually at the highest shutter possible. The other issue is that it is easy to get airsick as even when hovering, there can be sudden gusts that will pitch the chopper up or down or sideways. No a nice experience for those with queasy tummys.

  5. #5

    Default Re: any experience with helicopter photography

    Thanks for sharing. Interesting read about your experience and I guess this is applicable when we are taking from a moving/vibrating platform.


  6. #6

    Default Re: any experience with helicopter photography

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    The proper way to take pictures from any moving vehicle would be to use gyroscopes and dampeners (for vibration). Of course in a car or a train gyroscopes aren't needed since they don't usually pitch, roll, or yaw, but in a helicopter these movements happen frequently.
    VR lens?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: any experience with helicopter photography

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    This is from your own experience?

    HS
    not sure about him, but I have played with small pinhole cams mounted on R/C helis once. and that's basically what they did. The entire camera (very small only lah) was mounted on a 2 servo controlled axis. There is another 2 sensors that determine the pitch and yaw and compensate the movements accordingly. Very similiar to what VR systems have but more primitive and not as elegant. Restricted to small pinhole cams.

    I'm sure being in the bright day in the heli would result in high shutter speeds therefore making pics less prone to shakes. you wun be taking a heli in a dull/ dark and windy day right?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  8. #8

    Default Re: any experience with helicopter photography

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Bro, just checking but have you actually taken aerial photos before? Sure a gyro can ensure low shutter speeds and a stable platform but one can shoot handheld from a chopper as I have done many times in the past using 35mm and MF cameras. All depends on time of day and weather. Equipment wise, it depends on the type of shot and the altitude the chopper is allowed to hover. Here in Singapore there are strict limits to the flight path and altitude the pilot can fly, plus chopper time is expensive, so one has to work very fast. Typically I used 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and rarely a 105mm lenses on 35mm format. One person to shoot and another to load film and shoot with a backup camera. Zooms would rarely be used because: 1) the chopper is always moving and there isn't time to compose, so sequential shooting is a must, and we already know the rough angle of view of the prime lens we're using 2) light levels can be extremely bright since the chopper is usually flying in a large descending spiral over the subject, so lens flare is an issue, hence fast primes over zooms and no filters where possible. Flying in a chopper is very noisy, so everyone wears a headset to cut out the noise and to communicate with one another. There is noticeable vibration so shooting is usually at the highest shutter possible. The other issue is that it is easy to get airsick as even when hovering, there can be sudden gusts that will pitch the chopper up or down or sideways. No a nice experience for those with queasy tummys.
    I'm 17 mate, doesn't take a genius to figure out that I don't rent gyros or helicopters just for photography Yes, I have shot from a helicopter and obviously gyroscopes aren't needed. I said the proper way because equipment like that would give you more options.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: any experience with helicopter photography

    Quote Originally Posted by emollientcolt View Post
    hi, anyone has any experience taking photos from a helicopter?
    vibrations?
    zoom lens?
    Ask fellow CS member TeeCee. The pro. Who has done it.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Punggol Drive
    Posts
    111

    Smile Re: any experience with helicopter photography

    hi guys, thanks for all the sharing of experience.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •