Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunny f/16 and f/22 Rule

Deregistered

Default Sunny f/16 and f/22 Rule

Anyone can care to explain the above.. After reading i still dont understand...

Sorry iam slow on all this tech stuff... Pls help.. Dont ask mi go to library to borrow books on tat... Thanks

Default Re: Sunny f/16 and f/22 Rule

Quote Originally Posted by excelglsi View Post

Sorry iam slow on all this tech stuff... Pls help.. Dont ask mi go to library to borrow books on tat... Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken, Sunny-16 rule is like this.. if it's a bright sunny day, set aperture to f/16, if you use ISO100, shoot at 1/100, ISO200, shoot at 1/200 etc...

If you need to use other aperture, then for every stop you open up or close down, increase or decrease the shutter speed by a stop also. eg, for ISO100. f/11 -> 1/200, f/8 -> 1/400, f/5.6 -> 1/800.

Quote Originally Posted by excelglsi View Post

are u using manual camera/lens?
    In a sunny day, you can set f16 and 1/100 shutter speed using ISO100. This is just an estimate and it will not be as accurate as your matrix metering in your dSLR.

Smile Re: Sunny f/16 and f/22 Rule

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post

If you need to use other aperture, then for every stop you open up or close down, increase or decrease the shutter speed by a stop also. eg, for ISO100. f/11 -> 1/200, f/8 -> 1/400, f/5.6 -> 1/800.
    technically, you are right.

however, the sunny 16 rule is to make guessing exposures much simpler by only allowing the aperture to be the only variable.

for the TS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule

hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by antitrust View Post
    however, the sunny 16 rule is to make guessing exposures much simpler by only allowing the aperture to be the only variable.
    Actually I change both aperture and shutter speed. Will change the shutter speed to 1/focal length where necessary.

I just borrowed photography book from library this evening...it does explained sunny f/16. But what's f/22 Rule?

hmm
    i have heard of the sunny 16 rule...
    not any f22 rule though
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

i thought any setting also works one?

I know the other one though...

F8 and be there...

Deregistered

Thanks starting to understand...

As for the 'sunny f/22' rule is effective when photographing white subject under very bright condition.

A variation of the 'sunny f/16' rule is the 'sunny f/22' rule. It works in exactly the same way except your base lens aperture setting is f/22. Reducing the level of light reaching by half will darken the highlight areas of the image and add detail.

THANKS

The Sunny f16 is also call the "Basic Daylight Exposure".

on the Sunny day (subject under sunlight with distinct shadows), you will get a lens aperture of f16, with the shutter speed same or close to your medium ISO, eg, 1/125s with ISO 100, 1/500 with ISO 400...etc.

on the Sunday day but if you are at beach or snow scene, more light will get reflected by the sand, water or snow, so you will get f22 instead.

this rule is very accurate, of course if the photographer can't differentiate between a sunny day and cloudy day, than will not get the correct results.

print out this chart, keep one in your camera bag, it will be handy if your meter fail you.
    Last edited by catchlights; 15th April 2007 at 08:21 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I know the other one though...

F8 and be there...
    this is not a rule, is a saying, quote.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

on the Sunny day (subject under sunlight with distinct shadows), you will get a lens aperture of f16, with the shutter speed same or close to your medium ISO, eg, 1/125s with ISO 100, 1/500 with ISO 400...etc.

on the Sunday day but if you are at beach or snow scene, more light will get reflected by the sand, water or snow, so you will get f22 instead.

this rule is very accurate, of course if the photographer can't differentiate between a sunny day and cloudy day, than will not get the correct results.

print out this chart, keep one in your camera bag, it will be handy if your meter fail you.

Thank alot... Very useful info..

As to apply this f/16 rule....what is program setting on camera...Manual or Aperture?
    #Captured Moments# @ Flickr
    D80|18-135mm|70-300mmVR|SB-800

Quote Originally Posted by eagletay View Post
    As to apply this f/16 rule....what is program setting on camera...Manual or Aperture?
    Manual mode as you need to set your aperture & shutter speed.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletay View Post
    manual mode.

Very informative indeed. Is bright sunlight at 10.30am considered sunny day? I've tried out the sunny f/16 and it turns out too dark

The sunny 16 rule works really well as I have a number of cameras that are fully manual with no built-in light meter. So far I have been getting pretty decent exposure results using it. Of course the latitude of film does mean that even if my exposure is not spot on, I still get quite good details in the shot. One of the websites have created a table that you will do well to print and use as it covers many different lighting situations and the appropriate exposure.

Very bright sunlight.. f16 sky.. not so bright f11 sky.. clowdy f8 The shutter speed is 1/iso rule still applies

manual mode.
    Does this rule applies to DSLR?

sorry afor asking stupid qns..
    #Captured Moments# @ Flickr
    D80|18-135mm|70-300mmVR|SB-800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast