Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WinXP only can enter safe mode, can it be hardware issue?

Default Re: WinXP only can enter safe mode, can it be hardware issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    I think you are wrong. The memory controller is on one of the chipset on the motherboard. The chipset hold the northbridge and southbridge. Northbridge communicates with the computer processor and controls interaction with memory, the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) bus, Level 2 cache, and all Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) activities. Southbridge handles the input/output (I/O) functions of the chipset.

You might want to read up on the AMD K8 processors as well as HyperTransport first. What you're describing is just old school x86 architecture.

Athlon64 processors and their dual-core equivalents have the memory controller integrated into them. This allows for faster access to memory and removes a lot of problems associated with off die memory controllers.

For this same reason, you'll lose dual-channel support if you buy an AM2 Sempron and mount it onto the same board as an AM2 Athlon64.

Intel is currently still using the NB + SB configuration but will be migrating to on-die memory controllers after they switch to 45nm process and start production on the Nehalem.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    i can't find these set of numbers in bios. as for the voltage, whenever i wanted to choose a figure from 2.6 and onwards, the warning sign appears. in the end, i left it at auto.
    It's okay for the warning sign to appear. The number will turn yellow at 2.6v - 2.7v, red if above that.

Those numbers are the memory timings. They will be on the same page as the Command Rate settings. You might have to disable taking memory timings from SPD to see them. The page will be under Advance Chipset.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    You might want to read up on the AMD K8 processors as well as HyperTransport first. What you're describing is just old school x86 architecture.

Athlon64 processors and their dual-core equivalents have the memory controller integrated into them. This allows for faster access to memory and removes a lot of problems associated with off die memory controllers.

For this same reason, you'll lose dual-channel support if you buy an AM2 Sempron and mount it onto the same board as an AM2 Athlon64.

Intel is currently still using the NB + SB configuration but will be migrating to on-die memory controllers after they switch to 45nm process and start production on the Nehalem.
    You are right. I think I have lost touch with the latest CPU development.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    didn't see an option for DEP
    So disable it from the OS bootup switch and see if it helps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123