Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair planet?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ...Well it depends on whether you wish to believe what you read... In general, almost every article I see suggests that cold is a much worse problem than heat. To all aspects of life.

    The perceived imminent heat problems are generally limited to tropical diseases (malaria, etc) where the link is stronger to wealth and public health instead of location, etc.
    Are we talking about climate changes and weather systems and how it is threatening our habitat?
    If yes, I have not come across article that say we are experiencing a colder weather globally. I only have the chance to read about global warming and its catastrophic consequences on living beings.

    If you are talking about the preferred living conditions and health conditions in cold and hot regions, then I think I am off topic

    By the way, I have heard people sharing habitat with the polar bears, but have not read about people living in Sahara desert.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 14th April 2007 at 06:29 PM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Are we talking about climate changes and weather systems and how it is threatening our habitat?
    If yes, I have not come across article that say we are experiencing a colder weather globally. I only have the chance to read about global warming and its catastrophic consequences on living beings.

    If you are talking about the preferred living conditions and health conditions in cold and hot regions, then I think I am off topic

    By the way, I have heard people sharing habitat with the polar bears, but have not read about people living in Sahara desert.
    Our own habitat?

    Well, you should read more then. There are also articles which espouse the BENEFITS of global warming as well, i.e. more of the world will be inhabitable, since humans thus far have been better able to adapt to hot than cold, at the costs of certain resources.

    Get a balanced view of the whole issue, do not just get overwhelmed by the amount of media pointed in ONE direction, whether it is online, in the papers, print media, etc. This is for all aspects of life, really.

    As for people living in Sahara desert, it is the same thing. I suggest that you google "Sahara nomads".. =)

    Here's one very article describing your desert dwellers!

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    nx time i open 1 gym tap power from treadmill, exercise bicyle, etc (& still charge premium rates)!

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Heatwave, unseasonal rain, snow storm, drought, etc. are mother nature's way of hitting back at the human race for causing global warming thru' indiscriminate deforestation, overfishing, destruction of natural habitat of animals, etc. We are paying a heavy price.
    Last edited by redstorm; 16th April 2007 at 05:48 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    makes me wonder wad did dinosaurs do last time....

  6. #26

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Good learn the hard way!
    Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Heatwave, unseasonal rain, snow storm, drought, etc. are mother nature's way to hitting back at the human race for causing global warming thru' indiscriminate deforestation, overfishing, destruction of natural habitat of animals, etc. We are paying a heavy price.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Human are insufferable materialists. Nothing titillates us more than the newest gadgets, luxurious cars and living confortably. Hardly, anyone cares about the environment. It's just all to disgraceful

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    depending on what your belief says.

    I believe humans screwed up the weather, my friend tells me it's the sign that the end of the world is coming and that humans got nothing to do with it.

    Nat geo says that we were already way overdue for an ice age, pole reversal and other stuffs.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Well, one of the latest Newsweek issues focused on the global warming problem.
    See what the penguins got to say about Global Warming


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dPeTBWZzaA

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    i'm still waiting for snowfall in singapore

  11. #31

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Our own habitat?

    Well, you should read more then. There are also articles which espouse the BENEFITS of global warming as well, i.e. more of the world will be inhabitable, since humans thus far have been better able to adapt to hot than cold, at the costs of certain resources.

    Get a balanced view of the whole issue, do not just get overwhelmed by the amount of media pointed in ONE direction, whether it is online, in the papers, print media, etc. This is for all aspects of life, really.

    As for people living in Sahara desert, it is the same thing. I suggest that you google "Sahara nomads".. =)

    Here's one very article describing your desert dwellers!

    Uncle, thanks for the link.

    But I donno where is your stand point when you mentioned:

    "In general, almost every article I see suggests that cold is a much worse problem than heat. To all aspects of life.
    The perceived imminent heat problems are generally limited to tropical diseases (malaria, etc)"
    I tot almost all natural disaters are due to the warming climate.

    "Well, whatever it is, temperature increase is not good for us,.....
    But on a global scale, it is actually good, since cold is a much worse killer than heat."

    "There are also articles which espouse the BENEFITS of global warming as well, i.e. more of the world will be inhabitable,..."

    very confusing leh.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 16th April 2007 at 08:42 PM.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    makes me wonder wad did dinosaurs do last time....
    Remenber Jurrasic Park?

    God created earth.
    God created Dinosaurs.
    God destroyed Dinosaurs.
    God created man.
    Man created dinosaurs.
    Man destroys Earth and God.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Man destroys Earth and God.
    Hmm...it's God that ends the world

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    for those who like a faster pace of life; "if u cant stop d change, hasten it!"

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    i'm still waiting for snowfall in singapore
    me too!

  16. #36

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Uncle, thanks for the link.

    But I donno where is your stand point when you mentioned:

    "In general, almost every article I see suggests that cold is a much worse problem than heat. To all aspects of life.
    The perceived imminent heat problems are generally limited to tropical diseases (malaria, etc)"
    I tot almost all natural disaters are due to the warming climate.

    "Well, whatever it is, temperature increase is not good for us,.....
    But on a global scale, it is actually good, since cold is a much worse killer than heat."

    "There are also articles which espouse the BENEFITS of global warming as well, i.e. more of the world will be inhabitable,..."

    very confusing leh.
    All natural disasters due to the warming climate?

    Loads of people die in the temperate countries due to cold every year. How many people do you see dying due to heat in the tropics? Based on your own experience in Malaysia and the region, etc? Even our cameras take heat better than the cold! But boh liao joke point aside.. If you have read my statement in proper context,

    temperature increase is not good for "us", "us" refers to SINGAPORE. Which is why I went on to say, that on a global scale it is actually good! SINGAPORE would not actually benefit much from a temperature increase, since it already experiences relatively stabilised weather (from the mid 20's to slightly above 30 usually) all year round. As compared to more temperate countries like in Europe, etc. Or China, or a lot of the world in short.

    A global increase is actually good, because it renders more of the world more inhabitable. Of course this is definitely ignoring the fact that some low lying land will be lost due to potential rises in sea level. But what remains will be definitely more inhabitable! To humans, anyways, heck care about eco-system.

    Another plus point cited that I could remember, primarily because it was so amusing that humans would actually care about wine in times of survival being questioned.. Was that places which had a hard time producing wine would now find it easier due to the temperature rise. And wine will also mature faster, etc. =D

    Hope I explained in more detail this time!

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    dover
    Posts
    1,070

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Cold is better than heat.
    No one can stand more than 30*C above our body termpurature but ppl can survive at temperature a lot <0*C.
    and heater is easier to produce than aircon haha

  18. #38

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Quote Originally Posted by htthach View Post
    Cold is better than heat.
    No one can stand more than 30*C above our body termpurature but ppl can survive at temperature a lot <0*C.
    and heater is easier to produce than aircon haha
    ...That is not conclusive just because you can't stand 60 degrees of heat, the climates range from negatives to the mid thirties usually, so humans have gotten used and formulated methods to respond to that range of living.

    ...In general a global rise of 4 degrees would be useful for the temperate countries, and not affect the tropics by all that much.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    All natural disasters due to the warming climate?

    Loads of people die in the temperate countries due to cold every year. How many people do you see dying due to heat in the tropics? Based on your own experience in Malaysia and the region, etc?

    A global increase is actually good, because it renders more of the world more inhabitable.
    Uncle Nightmare, Almost all is not equal to all leh.. Still have exception leh.

    I am not saying more people is dying of heat. That is why I try to clarify with you, are we talking about the calamities brought about by climate changes or we are just discussing about the preferred temperature.

    If global temp increases and we loss more farm land (usually suited at low sea level) due to that, how is it going to be good?

  20. #40

    Default Re: Did the work of us human beings screw up the whole weather system on our fair pla

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Uncle Nightmare, Almost all is not equal to all leh.. Still have exception leh.

    I am not saying more people is dying of heat. That is why I try to clarify with you, are we talking about the calamities brought about by climate changes or we are just discussing about the preferred temperature.

    If global temp increases and we loss more farm land (usually suited at low sea level) due to that, how is it going to be good?
    Yes, but for the greater good, this is humanity. We care more about most of the people, unless we are the exception. That is life.

    What sort of calamities are brought about by climate changes? A significant statement, I felt, made by one of the writers pensive about the GREENHOUSE DOOMSDAY THEORY, was that humans have always been predicting the weather and climate and outcomes wrongly. As well as the effects. So right now, all your calamities are theoretical, same as how all my benefits are theoretical. Let us not lose sight of that.

    I have stated some of the benefits, I think the rising sea levels are a moot point, easily countered by the fact that a lot of the polar regions will be opened up as inhabitable, and even possibly, arable land. There.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •