Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: THinking of getting a new DC again.

  1. #1

    Default THinking of getting a new DC again.

    HI people,

    I am currently using a G1. Been thinking of getting a new DC cos G1 does not focus very well in low contrast situations. Was thinking of getting The Coolpix995 since it has 5 AF areas. Can anyone who has used/using it please tell me whether it takes pictures well in low contrast situations?

    Was thinking of getting a G2, but If the CP995 suffice then i am gonna get that one.

    Need advice, thanks a lot.

  2. #2

    Default

    No, it's probably as slow as your G1. Heck, don't spend anymore money. Whatever you're buying over the G2 is an incremental upgrade. Wait for something really awesome before you buy (and starting to save up now also helps).

  3. #3

    Default

    Originally posted by YSLee
    No, it's probably as slow as your G1. Heck, don't spend anymore money. Whatever you're buying over the G2 is an incremental upgrade. Wait for something really awesome before you buy (and starting to save up now also helps).
    Ok, a picture says a thousand words, two pics speak thousands i guess. I show you the reason why i wanna change cam. The cam always focuses on the background even though i got my subject in the middle. and i cannot do the AF lock/recompose routine cos no time leh therefore i need a cam that can overcome the problem I am currently facing. of cors other than this problem the cam is fine but this particular focusing problem is bugging me really badly.



  4. #4

    Default

    I see! Well, don't count on the 995 to be that accurate, but I think it might be a bit better than the G1.

    Though have you tried to make sure that you're aiming at a high contrast area?

  5. #5
    fcpga
    Guests

    Default you definately need a better cam with Zoe Tay posing for you. :)

    you definately need a better cam with Zoe Tay posing for you.

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by YSLee
    I see! Well, don't count on the 995 to be that accurate, but I think it might be a bit better than the G1.

    Though have you tried to make sure that you're aiming at a high contrast area?
    I just wanna aim and shoot zoe clearly leh.

    would the G2 be able to solve my problems? anyone knows?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hougang, SG
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Can use spot-metering right?

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by Jayan
    Can use spot-metering right?
    I've read that spot metering does not equal to spot focusing for the G1, so I dun think so.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hougang, SG
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by AstralPrue


    I've read that spot metering does not equal to spot focusing for the G1, so I dun think so.
    [/QUOTE

    Sorry.....it should be spot focusing. Paiseh!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    This look strang. He clearly have flash on. Shouldn't the flash be bright enuff for the DC to know the object? WIth flash, think there should be contrast liao, rite?

    I pity you.. Not many chance to get so close to an idol...

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by binbeto
    This look strang. He clearly have flash on. Shouldn't the flash be bright enuff for the DC to know the object? WIth flash, think there should be contrast liao, rite?

    I pity you.. Not many chance to get so close to an idol...
    Jayan : G1 dun have spot focusing :/ kns i know. haha

    binbeto: dunno leh, it has occurred the two times i saw Zoe in a dark=ish environment. when she was at bugis the camera function perfectly, cos i guess it works really well in daylight.

    not to worry, i have many chances to meet her. hehe.

  12. #12
    fcpga
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by binbeto
    This look strang. He clearly have flash on. Shouldn't the flash be bright enuff for the DC to know the object? WIth flash, think there should be contrast liao, rite?

    I pity you.. Not many chance to get so close to an idol...
    that was really close to Zoe tay, unless he is using a C2100UZ.

  13. #13

    Default

    Originally posted by fcpga


    that was really close to Zoe tay, unless he is using a C2100UZ.
    Right next to her

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by binbeto
    This look strang. He clearly have flash on. Shouldn't the flash be bright enuff for the DC to know the object? WIth flash, think there should be contrast liao, rite?

    I pity you.. Not many chance to get so close to an idol...
    Sadly, no. The camera focusses by means of contrast detection BEFORE the flash goes off and the picture is taken.

    Regards
    CK

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: THinking of getting a new DC again.

    Originally posted by AstralPrue
    HI people,

    I am currently using a G1. Been thinking of getting a new DC cos G1 does not focus very well in low contrast situations. Was thinking of getting The Coolpix995 since it has 5 AF areas. Can anyone who has used/using it please tell me whether it takes pictures well in low contrast situations?

    Was thinking of getting a G2, but If the CP995 suffice then i am gonna get that one.

    Need advice, thanks a lot.
    Don't waste your money. The G2, 995 or even the 5000 probably almost as "crappy" AF. Most consumer digicams use the same contrast detection method for AF, so it doesn't matter how many focussing points you have. If the selected point does not have enough contrast, it will not focus.

    In low light situations, either use manual focussing by means of distance estimation (I am not sure whether the G1 has a distance scale in MF mode for MF purposes), or try to fill frame with the subject so that the camera cannot lock onto something else in the background.



    Regards
    CK

  16. #16

    Default Re: Re: THinking of getting a new DC again.

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Don't waste your money. The G2, 995 or even the 5000 probably almost as "crappy" AF. Most consumer digicams use the same contrast detection method for AF, so it doesn't matter how many focussing points you have. If the selected point does not have enough contrast, it will not focus.

    In low light situations, either use manual focussing by means of distance estimation (I am not sure whether the G1 has a distance scale in MF mode for MF purposes), or try to fill frame with the subject so that the camera cannot lock onto something else in the background.



    Regards
    CK
    hmmm let's say the subject is in the middle of the pic, like that still cannot focus if i choose the middle focus area ah? then what's the selectable focus area for? ugh!

    distance estimation totally cannot make it one. i tried it before. it does not have a scale, and cannot quite tell whether the subject is in focus cos the lcd dun have magnifying capabilities. filling the frame with the subject seem the most plausible.

    Any other way about it? got simi camera that can overcome my problem a not? thanks!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    think someone posted about the "vertical contrast" used by the G2 (should be similar to G1). so if you focus on the face, the focus won't work well. the advice is to focus on the clothes if I'm not wrong.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    hmm...why not try F707?

    i can say that it have one of the best AF among DC....but compare with SLR....no fight man...

    anyway, i took this shot today, auto mode, normal flash, with the Hologram AF disabled (forgot to turn it on after i disable it the day before)...else the pic can be even sharper.



    aperture: F2.0
    shuuer : 1/50s

    i dun encounter such problem like yours with my 707

  19. #19

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    think someone posted about the "vertical contrast" used by the G2 (should be similar to G1). so if you focus on the face, the focus won't work well. the advice is to focus on the clothes if I'm not wrong.
    if i focus on her clothes, her head wld be chopped off :x

  20. #20

    Default

    kamwai, saw your pic, nice. it's sharp enuff liao what, dun worry. if you switch the hologram thingy on , what will happen? it will land on those two guys and focus on them?

    i think if i take a full body shot it wun happen also. i have never tried.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •