Thread: For Elder Scroll IV and Company of Heroes, is Geforce 6800GT good enough?

Default For Elder Scroll IV and Company of Heroes, is Geforce 6800GT good enough?

I am thinking of updating my ancient Geforce 4 Ti graphics card on my PC.. Have not been following PC hardwares for a long time liao so dunno what is good on the market now. However one frenz recommend me to get a Geforce 6800GT which is a 256mb video card. Is it good enough to play Elder Scroll IV Oblivion and Company of Heroes smoothly with graphics tuned up? Dun need to play at highest setting but at least must have medium and above graphics and FPS..

And roughly how much a Geforce 6800GT will cost at Sim Lim Square? My budget is below $200.
    Last edited by aaron80; 14th April 2007 at 12:36 PM.

Default Re: For Elder Scroll IV and Company of Heroes, is Geforce 6800GT good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80 View Post
    I am thinking of updating my ancient Geforce 4 Ti graphics card on my PC.. Have not been following PC hardwares for a long time liao so dunno what is good on the market now. However one frenz recommend me to get a Geforce 6800GT which is a 256mb video card. Is it good enough to play Elder Scroll IV Oblivion and Company of Heroes smoothly with graphics tuned up? Dun need to play at highest setting but at least must have medium and above graphics and FPS..

And roughly how much a Geforce 6800GT will cost at Sim Lim Square? My budget is below $200.
    enough la.... just dun set the textures and model details too high.... if not... its rather smooth....

for COH. if you play 4V4 Axis vs Allies and u play hardest... good luck. comp can prepare to lag.. because mine did for no reason...

Default Re: For Elder Scroll IV and Company of Heroes, is Geforce 6800GT good enough?

I don't think the 6800GT is significantly better than the 6600GT, which I'm using. On Elder Scrolls, its playable, but almost every setting needs to be turned down to minimum and play at 800x600 only. Any higher will lag. For 6800GT maybe can play at 1024x768 la

The 6800GT will only last you about another 3months to 1/2 year max. If you can try for a 7900GS, that'll give you the best price/performance ratio for budget cards. It'll be more worth it for COD, BF series, etc.

Best
    Wes

The 6800GT is obsolete already, your best bang for buck would a 7900GS.

Thanks for the advices bros.. I have read up abit and decide to get a 7600Gt instead.. Think will last me abit longer and the price is also quite ok.. Might as well pay abit more for something better.. But now I have a problem, there seems to be 2 versions, PCI-Express and AGP.. The AGP version is more ex. I asked one guy from a shop which is better and he said the cheaper PCI-Express is the same performance as the AGP one. So its actually more worth it.. Is this true? I want to make sure what is it I am getting buying. Which is a better purchase? I asked my frenz who helped me assemble my PC and he said my motherboard has no problem accepting either one of them..

Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    The 6800GT will only last you about another 3months to 1/2 year max. If you can try for a 7900GS, that'll give you the best price/performance ratio for budget cards. It'll be more worth it for COD, BF series, etc.

Best
    Wes
    Quote Originally Posted by thoa_rs View Post
    The 6800GT is obsolete already, your best bang for buck would a 7900GS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    I don't think the 6800GT is significantly better than the 6600GT, which I'm using. On Elder Scrolls, its playable, but almost every setting needs to be turned down to minimum and play at 800x600 only. Any higher will lag. For 6800GT maybe can play at 1024x768 la

Huh? Most newer motherboards accept PCI-express, while older motherboards accept AGP only. Industry is slowly phasing off AGP in favour of PCI express, so they are harder to find, hence cost more than PCI-e video card. The slots for both are physically different. Your friend may be confused with PCI-express (PCI-e) and the regular PCI slots (sound cards, wireless cards etc).

Perhaps you can post your motherboard model here so someone can verify for you that it can indeed take PCI-e or AGP. Just in case, else later buy the card then cannot use.

Thanks for the help bro.. Will check out my motherboard these few days..

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    Huh? Most newer motherboards accept PCI-express, while older motherboards accept AGP only. Industry is slowly phasing off AGP in favour of PCI express, so they are harder to find, hence cost more than PCI-e video card. The slots for both are physically different. Your friend may be confused with PCI-express (PCI-e) and the regular PCI slots (sound cards, wireless cards etc).

Perhaps you can post your motherboard model here so someone can verify for you that it can indeed take PCI-e or AGP. Just in case, else later buy the card then cannot use.

Thanks for the help bro.. Will check out my motherboard these few days..
    If you were using GeForce 4Ti, most likely you have AGP only. PCI-E are for the newer motherboard, seldom heard of any motherboard with both AGP and PCI-E.

The current fastest AGP card arround is ATI X1950PRO, cost arround $350.
    Last edited by zcf; 16th April 2007 at 11:28 AM.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

maybe if it's not urgent, you can hold your purchase first.

the new GF8xxx series is coming out in april/may which is direct10c compatible. no point buying a card now and have it obsolete 1 month later!

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    maybe if it's not urgent, you can hold your purchase first.

the new GF8xxx series is coming out in april/may which is direct10c compatible. no point buying a card now and have it obsolete 1 month later!
    GF8800 series is on the market now, GF8600 series should be out soon and the price won't be dropping until sometime later.
    DirectX 10 games are still very rare, and most likely you will need current available highend graphic & CPU for these games and NVIDIA may not likely to come out with a AGP slot version
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

yup, GF8800 is already out, but out of my budget too! haha

was waiting for the mid-range ones. i'm building a new PC, so waiting for new GFX cards, and Q3 price cuts for CPUs.

i think PCIe graphics cards are the way forward, looking at the huge price difference between AGP and PCIe cards.

but please don't take my word for it. i don't know very much about hardware!
    ((=

Thanks for the advices bros.. I have read up abit and decide to get a 7600Gt instead.. Think will last me abit longer and the price is also quite ok.. Might as well pay abit more for something better.. But now I have a problem, there seems to be 2 versions, PCI-Express and AGP.. The AGP version is more ex. I asked one guy from a shop which is better and he said the cheaper PCI-Express is the same performance as the AGP one. So its actually more worth it.. Is this true? I want to make sure what is it I am getting buying. Which is a better purchase? I asked my frenz who helped me assemble my PC and he said my motherboard has no problem accepting either one of them..
    what is the rest of your PC config?
    Intel or AMD?
    RAM?

if your rest of the PC config is not up to scratch, also no point getting a 7600GT.

most probably you are using AGP gfx card.

My method of getting a good graphic card is to get a mid range one rather than a high end unless you are loaded. Like Nvidia series, now is 8800, get a 7800 (High end) to 7900 (low end) is worth your $. Getting a 7600 series, seem like a bit of wasting money and time as you might need to upgrade after some time.

For my case, 1 1/2 yrs back, I got myself a XT850 and it's still able to run alot of games. Btw, sound card does play a part in gaming as today RTS requires a lot of sound processing also. Therefore, a onboard sound chipset or a low end sound card might see a few frame drop. I experience that before.

My PC is Intel P4 2.8Ghz, 1Gb Ram and 100Gb harddisk.. Getting a 7600GT is sufficient for my needs coz I dun normally use my PC for gaming. Gaming is normally on other platforms like PS2, DS etc.. But just want to upgrade so I can at least play a few good games from time to time.. Mostly I will play RTS on PC.

Quote Originally Posted by auron View Post
    what is the rest of your PC config?
    Intel or AMD?
    RAM?

if your rest of the PC config is not up to scratch, also no point getting a 7600GT.

most probably you are using AGP gfx card.

I rather dun spend too much on a graphic card coz I dun use my PC primarily for playing games.. As long as the graphic card is not so obsolete(like my Geforce 4) and can play most RTS games with average settings, I am happy liao.. Actually one of the main reasons I am upgrading is also becoz I want to play Elder Scroll 4.. I even thought of getting an Xbox360 to play this game.. I know PS3 also has this game, but PS3 not worth to get at the moment coz the library of good games is really pathetic..

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    My method of getting a good graphic card is to get a mid range one rather than a high end unless you are loaded. Like Nvidia series, now is 8800, get a 7800 (High end) to 7900 (low end) is worth your $. Getting a 7600 series, seem like a bit of wasting money and time as you might need to upgrade after some time.

For my case, 1 1/2 yrs back, I got myself a XT850 and it's still able to run alot of games. Btw, sound card does play a part in gaming as today RTS requires a lot of sound processing also. Therefore, a onboard sound chipset or a low end sound card might see a few frame drop. I experience that before.
    Last edited by aaron80; 17th April 2007 at 12:57 PM.

I rather dun spend too much on a graphic card coz I dun use my PC primarily on playing games.. As long as the graphic card is not so obsolete(like my Geforce 4) and can play most RTS games with average settings, I am happy liao.. Actually one of the main reasons I am upgrading is also becoz I want to play Elder Scroll 4.. I even thought of getting an Xbox360 to play this game.. I know PS3 also has this game, but PS3 not worth to get at the moment coz the library of good games is really pathetic..
    Ya la, u got DS mah. I also thinking of getting a PS3 leh. Yesterday saw JB selling Wii at 1200+ RMB. Super small unit, not bad. Actually PC games is the best, more choice of control to use with. Individual POV anyway.

Actually I am considering between PS3 and Xbox360. Although Wii offers a new way to play but not really attracted to it. I still prefers the wider varieties of games which Xbox360 offers and PS3(hopefully will offer too).. Xbox360 presently attracts me more and its Xbox Live service is very attractive too.. Haha but my trusty little DS is still the one which entertains me the most each day..

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Ya la, u got DS mah. I also thinking of getting a PS3 leh. Yesterday saw JB selling Wii at 1200+ RMB. Super small unit, not bad. Actually PC games is the best, more choice of control to use with. Individual POV anyway.

Actually I am considering between PS3 and Xbox360. Although Wii offers a new way to play but not really attracted to it. I still prefers the wider varieties of games which Xbox360 offers and PS3(hopefully will offer too).. Xbox360 presently attracts me more and its Xbox Live service is very attractive too.. Haha but my trusty little DS is still the one which entertains me the most each day..
    Actually the Wii offers games with high-playability.

The XBox and PS3 games are mostly eye-candy... IMHO of course.