Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital or Film Views

Originally posted by tsdh
    I add two more for you:
    - Instant preview
    - Faster turn around time than film
    Ok let's see, what's the advantege of instant preview or faster turn around time? Could you tell me how many genious (or at least good) shots you would miss without these features?

Originally posted by nothing
    Could you please count them (these advantages)? I know only one! well, two actualy but anyway:
    Advantage:
    1. Dynamic ISO
    2. Live histogram (not sure if it's a big advange but..)
    3) resusble media
    4) lower cost in long run
    5) etc

Ok let's see, what's the advantege of instant preview or faster turn around time? Could you tell me how many genious (or at least good) shots you would miss without these features?
    use your brain to think. dun let people keep on spoon feeding you with answers.

Originally posted by Goldmember
    use your brain to think. dun let people keep on spoon feeding you with answers.
    No seriously, I'm always wondering why there is a tendency to think about photography in terms of features of their cameras/lenses/flash units. I guess all these Film vs. Digital wars came from 'measurebators'.

3) resusble media
    4) lower cost in long run
    5) etc
    ok but what do you do with your 'resusable media'? Make one shot, and delete it in one year? So, why would you take it at the first place then?

lower cost, maybe, depends on how many shots you do (it doesn't make any sence if you shoot one roll a year). But on another hand with digital you have worse reselling value for every little thing bodies/CFs/microdrives. Can you imagine your D60 in 3 years? It will be stone age dinosaur (which costs cents)!

Hmmm.. i believe that with tools like photoshop, you can get the desired saturation you want..

Also, the cost of printing photographs is cheaper for digital already for the most of us. For film, you gotta buy the film, and also pay the development fee which adds up to around 7-8 bucks per roll. For digital, you just have to pay 30 cents per print. (at E-color)

Whatever it is, these should be the secondary considerations i feel. The most important thing for everybody is to keep shooting and improving, whether using P&S, prosumer or professional equipment...

About reselling, well, it depends on your preferences really. If you feel that you have the urge to get the best there is out there, then digital stuff is not for you and your wallet. Many of us will be happy with their D30 or whatever cos it meets the needs of their owners and will probably use it until their shutter fails or sumthing like that .
    Last edited by Mr Fish; 16th March 2003 at 02:20 PM.

Originally posted by Mr Fish
    Hmmm.. i believe that with tools like photoshop, you can get the desired saturation you want..
    I have a few slides and the best reproduction I get is close to 60%-70%, RGB, claim that they can get up to 75%, but 25% saturation loss! that's too much!
    Also I haven't seen any modern video card/display (I've seen high-end 21'' Radiuses ) which could reproduce the same colors (saturation) as you can see on slides.

Originally posted by Mr Fish
    Whatever it is, these should be the secondary considerations i feel. The most important thing for everybody is to keep shooting and improving, whether using P&S, prosumer or professional equipment...
    YEAH!!! 200% agree!!!

ok but what do you do with your 'resusable media'? Make one shot, and delete it in one year? So, why would you take it at the first place then?

lower cost, maybe, depends on how many shots you do (it doesn't make any sence if you shoot one roll a year). But on another hand with digital you have worse reselling value for every little thing bodies/CFs/microdrives. Can you imagine your D60 in 3 years? It will be stone age dinosaur (which costs cents)!
    that 's what you would do. i never delete mine, but transfer and archive them. like wise what do you do when you cannot finish your roll? would you develop them or keep them until fungus grow?. yes it doesnt make sense to you shoot one roll a year. but it make sense for a photographer who invest in the more expensive digital equipment to make the most out of it. resale? if u never have intention to sell you camera, resale price is never gonna bother you. are you tryng to sell off your film camera? i am still keeping my G1 man. not going to sell it until it is damaged. that's the problem when people when they only want to buy and sell camera like a hobby and not thinking about picture taking.
    Last edited by Goldmember; 16th March 2003 at 05:01 PM.

that 's what you would do. i never delete mine, but transfer and archive them.
    anyway you gonna pay for another storage (CDR, DVDR), right ? so wat's the big difference in 'reusable concept' between once processed slides and you CF/microdrive + CDR archive ?

but it make sense for a photographer who invest in the more expensive digital equipment to make the most out of it. resale? if u never have intention to sell you camera, resale price is never gonna bother you.
    Right, but look at the ads. what's the biggest market reselling volume? As I see > 50% of all cameras ads - digital cameras (for various reasons,damage, upgrade, dead pixels and so on).

are you tryng to sell off your film camera?
    NOOOO, I don't plans to sell my trustworthy EOS5, however I'm thinking (not seriously) about upgrade to something like 1v

anyway you gonna pay for another storage (CDR, DVDR), right ? so wat's the big difference in 'reusable concept' between once processed slides and you CF/microdrive + CDR archive ?

Right, but look at the ads. what's the biggest market reselling volume? As I see > 50% of all cameras ads - digital cameras (for various reasons,damage, upgrade, dead pixels and so on).

NOOOO, I don't plans to sell my trustworthy EOS5, however I'm thinking (not seriously) about upgrade to something like 1v
    difference is big. i have already used up my 100 liters dry cabinet to keep my processed sildes (no space liow), now thinking of getting another smaller 1 for my camera and lenses. perhaps u have only a few slides, then it really is cheaper to store them. u dun wanna sell of your camera but you are concern about the resale price. why? so you think upgrading to 1V is free? have to pay $$$$ too. u mean if you camera is damaged, u still keep them?
    Last edited by Goldmember; 16th March 2003 at 10:10 PM.

I smell flame.

Cool Down.

Default Re: Digital or Film Views

Originally posted by authmn
    I thought this shld be already out somewhere... but couldnt find it thru the search engine...
    anyway my views on this as an amateur ....

... ...
    Why did i come up with all this views?? coz i actually thinking .... and finally tot of buying a SLR for taking professional photos.... and also at the same time have a digicam (not DSLR) to take normal photos on the run....
    First of all welcome to clubsnap...
    I think from the many post to this thread... you will realise some of your views about film/digital camera are not entirely correct.

IMHO, do stick around to learn as well as shoot more pictures with your existing camera (best way to learn is you have your own photos to evaluate)

BTW, you might find that more and more pro photographer (earn money from photography work) cannot deny they have to move on to digital camera for the faster turn around time to meet customers needs (etc sports... and weddings!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12