Thread: Wanna Buy Guitar...........

Default Wanna Buy Guitar...........

Need help....I wanna learn to play the electric guitar but none of my friends are interested.
    So, I need help from the bros here who can assist me to choose, test/demo guitars etc....at
    the shops.

Do pm me with yr contact details if you dont mind helping a guitar-idiot out....

by the way, i have shortlisted what i want but just need someone who's familiar to do QA on it
    Last edited by major_tom; 13th April 2007 at 11:37 PM.
    "ashes to ashes; funk to funky..we know major_tom's a junkie
    strung out on heaven's high....."

Default Re: Wanna Buy Guitar...........

What do you listen? What's your budget. I can't help you with the testing part but I can point you in the right direction.
    A camera cannot teach you how to see.

It would help if you did some reading up on the different types of electric guitars. There is a huge variation in tone as there are guitars/pickups. Ultimately it boils down to what kind of music you want to play. Ibanez guitars offer good value but if you're starting out, don't need to spend too much, but look for something that gives a good tone. Whichever you choose, pay attention to the neck and the pickups. For an amp, the versatile Roland Micro Cube amp is my recommendation.

the roland mc is discon and SL does not bring them in any more. i hv shortlisted the vox DA5 instead. May look for a 2nd hand amp. I would really like valve amps but maintenance is higher in the long run.
    As for music taste and influence, yes. I have my preferences and am looking for a hollow/semi-hollow body with alnico p90 single-coil pickups. You see, I'm a die-hard twanger and more old school rnr than heavy metal rock.
    Budget wise, $500-700 for guitar (new/2nd hand ok) and another $100+-200 for a practice amp.

Just need experienced sharp-eyed players out there to help looking out for defects, warp/twisted neck etc....
    Last edited by major_tom; 14th April 2007 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    It would help if you did some reading up on the different types of electric guitars. There is a huge variation in tone as there are guitars/pickups. Ultimately it boils down to what kind of music you want to play. Ibanez guitars offer good value but if you're starting out, don't need to spend too much, but look for something that gives a good tone. Whichever you choose, pay attention to the neck and the pickups. For an amp, the versatile Roland Micro Cube amp is my recommendation.
    Ibanez... my very first guitar my dad bought for me, still have it at home, many of my nephews tried their hardest to get this from me... no way I am going to let it go even if I don't play it now. Sentimental, 18th birthday gift from late dad.

Have to say Ibanez good but there are better, others have rightly advise you.. different guitars for different type of music, blues guitar like what BB King uses and those rock guitarist uses are totally different.

I am itching to touch my old guitar after reading this thread... my wife will say, "aiyah old tunes only ah? "

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by major_tom View Post
    I have my preferences and am looking for a hollow/semi-hollow body with alnico p90 single-coil pickups. You see, I'm a die-hard twanger and more old school rnr than heavy metal rock.
    Budget wise, $500-700 for guitar (new/2nd hand ok) and another $100+-200 for a practice amp.
    dude.. semi-hollows w/ p90 is hardly twangy.. if u are into 60s,70s stuff, for $500-700, u can get a tele or strat. i know swee lee was selling a 60th anni fender strat for abt $600+ and it comes with a small solidstate practise amp. u can call them to check...

just my 2 cents.. been playing guitar for abt 15 years..

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    dude.. semi-hollows w/ p90 is hardly twangy.. if u are into 60s,70s stuff, for $500-700, u can get a tele or strat. i know swee lee was selling a 60th anni fender strat for abt $600+ and it comes with a small solidstate practise amp. u can call them to check...

just my 2 cents.. been playing guitar for abt 15 years..
    dude, actually I was torn between the Fender package and yes, the strats & teles are twangy. no doubt abt this.
    However, to reproduce vintage sounds of the 60's esp country and rockabilly and even psychobilly, hollow/semi-hollow bodies with the appropriate pickup can faithfully give you a wang for your twang.
    Duane Eddy, Brian Setzer and even Chris Isaak all Gretsch users, are twangers. Of cos, the title King Of Twang goes to Duane Eddy himself.

So hollows/semis cant do twang? check this out and listen to the samples:

http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabilly_Guitar.htm#EPI
    and
    http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...Libraries.html

Last edited by major_tom; 14th April 2007 at 02:49 PM.