Thread: Blacklist available?

Default Blacklist available?

Just wondering if anyone here has gotten ripped off by customers - especially events company (those who organise events for other companies). I've seen & heard of a number of such complains from DJs to photographers about not getting paid or getting only partial payment. Some did 'pay' but their cheques bounced so high the case was brought to court.

Or is there a blacklist of such companies available so that we know which are the companies to avoid.

Default Re: Blacklist available?

im sure there are some blacksheeps in the industry. to be safe always request for a black and white vendor contract prior to the event especially if its your 1st assignment with the company. do a search in the forums u will see one or two mentioned b4.
    Last edited by kiama; 12th April 2007 at 05:47 PM.

Here's my favourite line: "Show Me The Money!".

Deregistered

I've a blacklist of bad assistants and junior photographers, half of whom are still active on local forums. A not-very-short list...
    (incl --> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=216108)
    Last edited by Azure; 10th May 2007 at 06:40 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

Start your own black list here lor, then see who adds on to it

vince123123
    Guests

Any examples of why these pple were blacklisted? So we can learn what NOT to do

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I've a blacklist of bad assistants and junior photographers, half of whom are still active on local forums. A not-very-short list...

Now you are asking for trouble Its gonna be a full blown war if he posts such a list
    Come visit my Flickr :)

vince123123
    Guests

Isn't there already so many threads on bad service, bad this bad that? A list consolidating these "bad" entites isn't something new or unheard of.

It is this fear that prevents people from posting identities. Also, it could mean they are not too sure of their position. If you are very sure and can stand by your criticism, then it would serve public interest to identify the perpetrators.

Of course, there may be overriding reasons why they do not want to, but such are far and few between.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyks View Post
    Now you are asking for trouble Its gonna be a full blown war if he posts such a list

Deregistered

I do have such a list, available on nice request. But it remains closely by my side, as it would definitely go against the guidelines of this forum to openly post it, as doing so would, as Maddyks correctly posted, incite a war. Of my blacklist, I am very sure of where I stand, and I do record down the reasons/wrongdoings of those on my list.

After that, the thread title is "Blacklist available?". I have a couple more blacklists too, you know... one for F&B outlets that I'll never patronise, one for bad webhosting, one for rotten photo labs... it goes on. But most of them are not photography related.

On a serious note, I think it will be a good thing, albeit a private one, amongst us working/professional photographers, to share in such bad eggs. But do so in private. It won't do to publish it and turn it into a flame-war. By token of this, let those who are keen to know, to contact me directly. I'm very open to sharing my blacklist, over a cuppa, face-to-face. Good too, for fellow photographers, to know who to avoid.

So, Vince123123, would you prefer to clarify if what you mean to allude to by this segment of your post?
    It is this fear that prevents people from posting identities. Also, it could mean they are not too sure of their position. If you are very sure and can stand by your criticism, then it would serve public interest to identify the perpetrators.

Of course, there may be overriding reasons why they do not want to, but such are far and few between.

vince123123
    Guests

My post wasn't made in reference to your blacklist, just to blacklists and complaints who dont name hte perp in general. More often than not, we see people complaining about this and that - however in most of these factual scenario this is of little use unless the person is named.

Im not inciting you to publicize your blacklist - my previous post was just enquiring what reasons you normalyl blacklist assistants - you can also see my post didn't ask you to share your blacklist.

I'm just saying in general, if you have a complaint, you should state the identity of the person. this serves a few purposes:

1. The person may not even know he offended you - and with your post, he gets to give his side of the story.

2. If he does know, posting his identity would aid in ensuring others will not fall for his same trick / tactics / **** again.

As for inciting a war - if as you say, it incites a war, and goes against the forum guidelines, then I suppose we must ban all threads similar to:

(a) XYZ service centre gives bad service! I swear never to go there again.

(b) ABC Photography shop cheated me! They overcharged! I'm never going to buy from them again.

As I have seen, such a ban has not yet been in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I do have such a list, available on nice request. But it remains closely by my side, as it would definitely go against the guidelines of this forum to openly post it, as doing so would, as Maddyks correctly posted, incite a war. Of my blacklist, I am very sure of where I stand, and I do record down the reasons/wrongdoings of those on my list.

After that, the thread title is "Blacklist available?". I have a couple more blacklists too, you know... one for F&B outlets that I'll never patronise, one for bad webhosting, one for rotten photo labs... it goes on. But most of them are not photography related.

On a serious note, I think it will be a good thing, albeit a private one, amongst us working/professional photographers, to share in such bad eggs. But do so in private. It won't do to publish it and turn it into a flame-war. By token of this, let those who are keen to know, to contact me directly. I'm very open to sharing my blacklist, over a cuppa, face-to-face. Good too, for fellow photographers, to know who to avoid.

So, Vince123123, would you prefer to clarify if what you mean to allude to by this segment of your post?

hi all, is it required one to be registered with Registrar of Companies to start freelancing?

No its not required but being resigteredwould give your clients a peace of mind to know you will not suddenly dissappear.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

thanks for the information. For freelancers, is there a requirement of certain photography certifications by the government too?

Quote Originally Posted by djugashvili View Post
    thanks for the information. For freelancers, is there a requirement of certain photography certifications by the government too?
    no...if you mean qualification...

ic...thanks for the info, how about those who wish to be hired by a photo studio company as a professional photographer?