Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Cabinet - recommendations

Default Re: Dry Cabinet - recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by frostyfrostysnowman View Post
    actually, not really.. i don't change the gel in it that often.
    You keep your cam in 'lock n lock' for good. If you open often the gel will need to recycle more often.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyfrostysnowman View Post
    the availability of the microwave makes it really convenient. it's a couple of minutes in there and voila! gel ready to be used again!
    The cost to run the microwave oven to voila the gel, will be more than running the digi-cabi. It should be about 70 cents to run a 5W element continuous for a month, but the digi-cabi is not running 5W all the time, so the real running cost will be much lower.

I'm having a DHC300 and a AD100 and the electrical bill don't hurt me, the kids on school holiday now use more electricity.

Very useful thread.. don't mind if I add on some question too

Can I use dry silicon gel to replace a real 'dry box'? I have got a number of these gel bags from... live-firing live rounds

Quote Originally Posted by RayDream View Post
    Can I use dry silicon gel to replace a real 'dry box'? I have got a number of these gel bags from... live-firing live rounds
    Don't understand your question, a dry box is a box that is air tight box and need silica gel to keep the air in it dry (low humility). On the other hand, a dry cabinet like digi-cabi run on electricity so that one don't have to take care of maintaining the silica gel.

Some of the gel bag pack to with equipment during transportation can't be recycle, so no advisable to use them.

I recently bought another Akarui Digi 90 L from Cathay Photo and it cost me $265 IIRC and it came with some freebies. But its analogue but so what! Once you set the RH correctly then it should not need any fiddling around for a long time! Just to give you an idea of prices.

Quote Originally Posted by guohuige View Post
    i just had my first DSLR camera, Olympus E510. I guess a dry box and silica gel should do the trick for me for a start. But how much silica gel to use and what are the price range for a dry box.

I am worried that for dry cabinet, needs to use electricity to keep it running = $$$.

Is dry box good enough? what are the maintenance required for DSLR?

Thank you.
    One regular sized dry box would conservatively fit 1 body & 2 lenses at most. If your budget doesn't allow you to get a dry cabinet, go for a dry box! It's economically more sound though it's a tad bit more trouble having to bake them once the little silica beads 'blush'.

Also, when something is automated, you might tend to take it for granted. If the drybox fails and you fail to notice it, your camera would be in for a nice long sauna session. I got my drybox for $29 bucks from Mustafa, and 500g of silica gel for $5. Of which, I've used less than 1/3 till date.

Quote Originally Posted by rvxing View Post
    You keep your cam in 'lock n lock' for good. If you open often the gel will need to recycle more often.

The cost to run the microwave oven to voila the gel, will be more than running the digi-cabi. It should be about 70 cents to run a 5W element continuous for a month, but the digi-cabi is not running 5W all the time, so the real running cost will be much lower.

I'm having a DHC300 and a AD100 and the electrical bill don't hurt me, the kids on school holiday now use more electricity.
    hahahah.. well, I've used my silica for about a month and there's still no need for me to bake them just yet.. it takes quite a few 'microwave sessions' to account for the difference in price, of which in my opinion is mainly for the convenience of a dry cab. Moreover, i'm a poor student, so the economically sound option appeals more.

I don't know if those gel bags are even going to be enough man. hahaha. they sound rather small
    There are 3 types of people in this world. One that can count, and one that can't. :sweat:

Quote Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
    i am using digi-cabi professional dhc-80. so far so good. i had a smaller digi-cabi earlier but i think the heating element was spoilt.

was told that the cost of electricity to maintain is very small.

was using dry box plus silicon gel when i first started the hobby many years ago. good and cheap too.

as you purchase more camera bodies and lenses, a dry cabinet would definitely be the way to go.
    Hi

May I know where to buy the Digicab series? What is the difference between the DHC and the AD?
    Nikon D700, VR Micro-105mm f/2.8G, 17-35mm f/2.8D, AF 50mm f/1.4D, 24-70mm f/2.8D

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
    Hi

May I know where to buy the Digicab series? What is the difference between the DHC and the AD?
    Look thru their website : Digihub

DHC uses digital control and digital display.
    AD uses analog control and digital display.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
    Hi

Digi hub is at Upper Thomas but you can get at TK Foto too, same same.... ask for free delivery or cash and carry at Thomas where they have all the model there as its their warehouse. DHC is better as you can set the RH% and it will always maintain at that value irregardless of any changes to the load inside. For the AD series the RH% will change depending on the load inside, that is to say if you take out or add Equipment into the Cabinet the RH% will change and you have to manually tune the setting again.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Becareful of dessicant used for keeping ammo. A friend of mine use it to keep his camera, later to find that the rubber parts are sticky and the lens fogged. Dunno the cause, but suspect the new addition of the ammo dessicant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12