Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentWave View Post
    BINGO! You hit the nail on the head.
    OT ... i was hoping someone would highlight the second last paragraph though ... anyway

  2. #22

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I say they are not deserving such treatment. Their statement are not the most eloquent, and they are not diplomatic, which I am almost always guilty of, but they hit it right on the nail. Why should they be warned. I thought their behavior are within tolerance.
    Well, if you go to a restaurant, pay big bucks for your meal, and the food totally sucks -

    Do you tell the waiter nicely that the food is not good and that you probably want to speak to the chef to give him constructive comments

    OR

    Do you fling the big plate of crappy food at the waiter, and then start shouting at the chef that his food sucks when he comes out?

    The key idea here I'm trying to convey is "social etiquette". Both are being honest. The first manner is so much better and causes a lot less trouble and permanent harm/damage, psychologically at least in CS to everyone! Just because CS is an online platform, doesn't mean that all unwritten social rules just go out of the window when one is here.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you have raised an issue worth a discussion. but i do not see how going to the other extreme, insulting and degrading the other party is going to help solve the problem here.
    Now I am a bit confused, as I don't see I had isulted anyone here.

    What I advocate is that we should not be so sensitive and political correct in our comments. Say what we believe.

    What caused me to raise this question is the mod's comment, which I had quoted.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Thanks you.

    Then let me bring everyone bvack to my original post, are the comments from TMC and chrisljh degrading, insulting and deserved the heavy handed treatment?

    I say they are not deserving such treatment. Their statement are not the most eloquent, and they are not diplomatic, which I am almost always guilty of, but they hit it right on the nail. Why should they be warned. I thought their behavior are within tolerance.
    no their comments are not tolerable. because they did not make an effort to make an informed judgement about TS's standard before administering the appropriate advice.

    and we hope you'll practise some restraint in your usage of words that are potentially not accepted by everyone. some accept your words, but there are also those who don't. you are doing yourself a major disservice by stubbornly insisting on your own words when the other party is obviously offended by you (and will therefore see any subsequent words from you as offending) and you helping yourself gaining more enemies.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Now I am a bit confused, as I don't see I had isulted anyone here.

    What I advocate is that we should not be so sensitive and political correct in our comments. Say what we believe.

    What caused me to raise this question is the mod's comment, which I had quoted.
    you don't see that you've insulted anyone because you are too used to your own habits, and those around you whom you already know see that as normal. for others who come from a totally different cultural background compared to yours, how fair are you to insist that they subscribe to your standard in words?

  6. #26

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Sugar Coating a comment is amount to lying.

    Or has CS lowered itself to such low levels?
    It's not about sugar coating or not. It's about being civilized.

    If you have little children, do you tell them that they are useless little sh*t if they suck at doing something new for them? IMHO one can still give honest & constructive criticisms in a civilized manner.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    What I advocate is that we should not be so sensitive and political correct in our comments. Say what we believe.
    that i disagree. this is lifeskill, to act sensitively and sensibly in an environment filled with all kinds of people.

    freedom is always built on the foundation of respect, not selfishness.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    no their comments are not tolerable. because they did not make an effort to make an informed judgement about TS's standard before administering the appropriate advice.

    and we hope you'll practise some restraint in your usage of words that are potentially not accepted by everyone. some accept your words, but there are also those who don't. you are doing yourself a major disservice by stubbornly insisting on your own words when the other party is obviously offended by you (and will therefore see any subsequent words from you as offending) and you helping yourself gaining more enemies.
    That is where we digress. I do not believe their words to be intolerable. We have to be clear, any picture posted on the public forum, is open to all sorts of interpretation. It's fair game. If they are bad, be ready for a dose of cold reality.

    As for me, you should know better what I will do or not. If we have to say things that satrisfy everyone, and not offend the few that might possibly be offended, we might as well all shut up, right?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  9. #29
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    It's very simple. The mod's job is to keep the peace. Sugar coated comments help to keep the peace.

    Brutally honest, raw, abrasive, insulting, non-constructive comments usually create bruised egos and frayed tempers resulting in personal vendettas and pointless arguments.

    Hence, it is indeed a mod's business to be a champion of sugar coated comments.
    For peace or for google ads and other ads revenue?

  10. #30

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Not that I'm in the habit of throwing others' words in their face, but perhaps what you said here can be used to explain the logic:

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....7&postcount=54
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet

    Ironic, the parents of this kid will probably scold the kid too for being stupid. So much negative reinforcement, the kid will likely fail in school. With the current system we may very well have discarded a potential nobelaureate in literture ... but then, here in Singapore, who cares about the arts ...
    They are but kids at this, greenhorns. They are learning. Be nice! Negative reinforcement is bad!

  11. #31

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentWave View Post
    It's not about sugar coating or not. It's about being civilized.

    If you have little children, do you tell them that they are useless little sh*t if they suck at doing something new for them? IMHO one can still give honest & constructive criticisms in a civilized manner.

    Please don't throw rocks in a glass house. I have encounter more of this knid of behavior in Singapore, when treating the young than anywhere I have been.

    By the way, am I talking to little kids? I don't think so.

    By sugar coating a comment, telling lies, is uncivilize.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  12. #32
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    For once, I'm actually with DeadPoet, I don't think what they had commented and how they have commented would be anyway in the wrong to deserve a warning.

  13. #33
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you don't see that you've insulted anyone because you are too used to your own habits, and those around you whom you already know see that as normal. for others who come from a totally different cultural background compared to yours, how fair are you to insist that they subscribe to your standard in words?
    The same goes for me, u and everybody else.

  14. #34
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentWave View Post
    It's not about sugar coating or not. It's about being civilized.

    If you have little children, do you tell them that they are useless little sh*t if they suck at doing something new for them? IMHO one can still give honest & constructive criticisms in a civilized manner.
    Well, we're not dealing with kids now, we're dealing with people that have the ability to think for themselves, to accept the fact and also to understand why people say such things.

    Now if the commentors have an hidden agenda and commented it based on a personalised POV, then that I do not disagree the mod should have stepped in.

    The commentors do not know the TS, they would not have an hidden agenda and was just being truthful. Nothing wrong with that. Trash is not a dirty word is it?

    Different age group have different way of handling them. Your analogy won't work in this case.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by wazzup View Post
    The same goes for me, u and everybody else.
    of course. and so now i'm telling you that you should watch out for it yourself.

  16. #36
    Moderator LOTUSfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    3,338

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    In simple Language..

    Be Kind...

    Everyone starts somewhere somehow..
    Motivate each other..
    We are here to enjoy photography.

  17. #37
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    of course. and so now i'm telling you that you should watch out for it yourself.
    And I'll remind you back the same too.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Not that I'm in the habit of throwing others' words in their face, but perhaps what you said here can be used to explain the logic:

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....7&postcount=54


    They are but kids at this, greenhorns. They are learning. Be nice! Negative reinforcement is bad!
    But what we are discussing, the comments from TMC and chris are far cry from what I was discussing in the other thread. Two totally different thing. Cannot be compared.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  19. #39

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    But what we are discussing, the comments from TMC and chris are far cry from what I was discussing in the other thread. Two totally different thing. Cannot be compared.
    One is figurative, one is literal.

    In a sense, the same logic applies here. If you keep insulting newbies you only seek to dissuade them. As a person who is experienced, shouldn't you have the graciousness to be more gentle ( I hesitate to use the word diplomatic)?

    Great masters are either remembered for their kindness or arrogance. The same applies to critics all alike. Are you still not telling the truth when you rephrase your words, while conveying the same meaning yet showing the person respect as you would a family member or friend? Mutual respect is one of the most important aspects of human life.

    Or do you really think that only SUCKS and TRASH can convey your meaning? Then I would say that that is a very limited vocabulary indeed!

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Language, remarks, insults, zealots .... Interlorence

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    One is figurative, one is literal.

    In a sense, the same logic applies here. If you keep insulting newbies you only seek to dissuade them. As a person who is experienced, shouldn't you have the graciousness to be more gentle ( I hesitate to use the word diplomatic)?

    Great masters are either remembered for their kindness or arrogance. The same applies to critics all alike. Are you still not telling the truth when you rephrase your words, while conveying the same meaning yet showing the person respect as you would a family member or friend? Mutual respect is one of the most important aspects of human life.

    Or do you really think that only SUCKS and TRASH can convey your meaning? Then I would say that that is a very limited vocabulary indeed!
    for once in a long while you start to make some sense again in kopitiam

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •