Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

  1. #21

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    You say it like it's the truth. "There is overt discrimination against people over 40."

    Discrimination is one thing, pragmatism is another. Young people accept lower pay, and possibly perform the same job as well. Of course companies do not want to hire people over 40 who might have been problematic (since they are jobless over the age of 40). You gotta see it from their shoes, thankyew.
    Read what you just wrote, your statement stinks of small minded discrimination.

    You are right, companies do fire people over 40 so that they can be replaced by young people whom they can pay a pittance. But they don't realise the intangible cost - the lost of experience and knowledge..

    There have been a few news articles not only in the local media but international too regarding this problem.

    It is not true that every person over 40 is problematic. If this were the case, you should tell your parents that they are problematic people and that their companies should fire them now.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Who are jobless.

    My parents are employed, thankyew very much. But thanks for pointing that I missed something out!

  3. #23

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Regulate who the companies can or cannot hire and they'll just take their business elsewhere.

    Simple logic.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Regulate who the companies can or cannot hire and they'll just take their business elsewhere.

    Simple logic.
    And we wonder why Singaporeans who are losing their jobs to FTs.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    And we wonder why Singaporeans who are losing their jobs to FTs.
    Your point is?

    I do not see any link. Like I said, Singaporean logic these days really too cheem!

  6. #26

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Who are jobless.

    My parents are employed, thankyew very much. But thanks for pointing that I missed something out!
    According to your logic, they are problematic because they are over 40.

    People become unemployed due to a variety of reasons - so many variables in play - company mergers, companies going into liquidation, etc. Just because they are over 40 when they were retrenched does not mean that they were problematic.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    And we wonder why Singaporeans who are losing their jobs to FTs.
    I'm wondering...

  8. #28

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Your point is?

    I do not see any link. Like I said, Singaporean logic these days really too cheem!
    Because there is no control over who the companies can hire, they are going to hire FTs who will work for less (who incidently send back their pay to their countries of origin). So simple also cannot see.

    What benefit is the company to the citizens of the country if the majority of the people who work for or in them are foreigners?

    Aiyo, what is becoming of the Sg youth these days? Too much spoonfeeding is it? Until cannot think anymore?
    Last edited by Tetrode; 11th April 2007 at 08:33 PM.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    This is starting to sound like an Animal Farm moment...

  10. #30

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    According to your logic, they are problematic because they are over 40.

    People become unemployed due to a variety of reasons - so many variables in play - company mergers, companies going into liquidation, etc. Just because they are over 40 when they were retrenched does not mean that they were problematic.
    Yeah, I missed something out and I said so. Selective eyesight is definitely another new trait of people today. =D

    And.. Your standard company is going to know that? With a magic crystal ball, I presume. I don't think companies have time to listen to sob stories to decide whether they want that 40 year old to be employed.

    So much easier to just hire the fresh new face and find out whether he/she is suitable for the job at a lower price. Simple!

    How many 40 year olds do you know are willing to work at a 20 year old rate? It is cruel, it is harsh.

    But it is also reality.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    Because there is no control over who the companies can hire, they are going to hire FTs who will work for less. So simple also cannot see.

    What benefit is the company to the citizens of the country if the majority of the people who work for or in them are foreigners?

    Aiyo, what is becoming of the Sg youth these days? Too much spoonfeeding is it? Until cannot think anymore?
    And what does that have to do with MANDARIN SPEAKING?

    I'm the resident OT king, not you my dear boy! If you want to do some dragon dance phoenix fly performance, at least put some smiley faces so we know that you are goofing off!

    I will ignore all ad hominem attacks, so far I have only passed comment on your logic. Looks like I am mature (see, self-praise instead of slamming you, I am as wise as I am kind).. =D

    What DETRIMENTAL VALUE is there to the citizens of the country if the majority of the people who work for or in them are foreigners?

    Benefits? Many. Increased effectiveness, increased competitiveness of company, ability of company to provide services/products at a lower cost due to reduced operating costs. Tsk tsk. You want more?

  12. #32

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    This is starting to sound like an Animal Farm moment...
    8 legs bad!

    6 legs bad!

    12 legs bad!

    ALL LEGS BAD. ONLY HANDS GOOD.
    (My version)

  13. #33

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Here is the article produced from the Straits Times Forum (Dec 19, 2006) on page H6:

    My last - part-time - job was as a call-centre agent. When I left and started looking for a full-time job through the newspaper and the Internet, I was both disappointed and frustrated. Besides requiring them to speak English, companies also require them to speak Mandarin. Even an American MNC required Mandarin-speaking staff.

    There were times when I called up a company which did not state anything about language requirements. After telling a staff member about my qualifications, my hopes would be dashed when he/she asked if I could speak in Chinese.

    However, I am also aware that there are certain jobs requiring other languages, such as Malay, Tamil or even Tagalog. My concern is, will the minorities in Singapore be able to survive in this job market?

    If would be much more pleasant to live and work here if we went back to requiring English as the main language for all jobs.

    Nurwati Ya'akop (Ms)
    Sad to see the articles. It is only a requirement. If you study Law, can you do Engineering work? If the clients of my company is mostly Mandarin speaking then I need to employ Mandarin speaking staff. I cannot do business with them if I engage a non-mandarin speaking staff.
    Many Singaporean who cannot speak Bahasa cannot work in our neigbouring countries.
    So is it racial to engage a qualified person due to business need?

  14. #34

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Yeah, I missed something out and I said so. Selective eyesight is definitely another new trait of people today. =D

    And.. Your standard company is going to know that? With a magic crystal ball, I presume. I don't think companies have time to listen to sob stories to decide whether they want that 40 year old to be employed.

    So much easier to just hire the fresh new face and find out whether he/she is suitable for the job at a lower price. Simple!

    How many 40 year olds do you know are willing to work at a 20 year old rate? It is cruel, it is harsh.

    But it is also reality.
    Even if they want to work for lower pay - they are not even considered - that was the complaint of a 40 something MBA qualified on TV not so long ago.

    I can't wait till you hit 40 and suffer their fate. It would be sweet justice.

    And no I haven't hit that yet.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Sad to see the articles. It is only a requirement. If you study Law, can you do Engineering work? If the clients of my company is mostly Mandarin speaking then I need to employ Mandarin speaking staff. I cannot do business with them if I engage a non-mandarin speaking staff.
    Many Singaporean who cannot speak Bahasa cannot work in our neigbouring countries.
    So is it racial to engage a qualified person due to business need?
    Definitely not.

    Just like it is not sexist if your customers tend to feel more comfortable dealing with female staff. I do understand some of the concerns though, as to how to control such regulations and all that. But I think companies should be given the benefit of the doubt, as I have earlier pointed out, free market policy where everyone makes their own choices and deals with their choices and lives with the consequences.. Should be the way to go.

    How would you carry out regulation of whether a job requires Mandarin or not, anyhow? There are so many possibilities and parameters that it would be impossible, if you ask me.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    Even if they want to work for lower pay - they are not even considered - that was the complaint of a 40 something MBA qualified on TV not so long ago.

    I can't wait till you hit 40 and suffer their fate. It would be sweet justice.

    And no I haven't hit that yet.
    Oh, no, I have enough confidence and down-to-earthness to ensure that I will never end up in that state.

    People lie, like it or not. Your 40 something MBA could possibly have claimed on TV. I'm not saying it's 100% no such case, but I'm pretty sure not all of them are like that.

    After all, if you think about it, what benefit does the company have in REJECTING an experienced worker with a good record willing to take lower pay and EMPLOYING a fresh greenhorn? None? I thought so.

    So what logic is there in doing so? Eh? Employer got abused as a kid when he is young so he doesn't like people over 40? 0.o If you think about it, your MIND will tell you that it is impossible.

    Another Singaporean pastime/habit is to make funny threats. Boy ar, when you reach my age, or reach ah kong's age, you will know ar. Boy ar, if you not obedient, next time your students will treat you the same way if you become teacher. Pffbt to that. I am the master of my own fate, my own future. Empty words serve no purpose to me.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Yah loh... mummy tell you study hard don't listen...

  18. #38

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Yah loh... mummy tell you study hard don't listen...
    My mommy told me to buy Pentax!

  19. #39

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Oh, no, I have enough confidence and down-to-earthness to ensure that I will never end up in that state.

    People lie, like it or not. Your 40 something MBA could possibly have claimed on TV. I'm not saying it's 100% no such case, but I'm pretty sure not all of them are like that.

    After all, if you think about it, what benefit does the company have in REJECTING an experienced worker with a good record willing to take lower pay and EMPLOYING a fresh greenhorn? None? I thought so.

    So what logic is there in doing so? Eh? Employer got abused as a kid when he is young so he doesn't like people over 40? 0.o If you think about it, your MIND will tell you that it is impossible.

    Another Singaporean pastime/habit is to make funny threats. Boy ar, when you reach my age, or reach ah kong's age, you will know ar. Boy ar, if you not obedient, next time your students will treat you the same way if you become teacher. Pffbt to that. I am the master of my own fate, my own future. Empty words serve no purpose to me.
    Typical Sgrean arrogance.
    The story that he wasn't even getting past the employment agencies. You obviously haven't tried looking for work before otherwise you would realise that companies now hire employment agencies to do the screening for them.

    One person lying is possible but a whole bunch - not likely. You can keep burying your head in the sand but people out there are suffering and you lack of compassion is telling of your character. Like I said - it would be sweet poetic justice to see you w/o a job at 40.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Mandarin speaking requirement for job applicants

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    My mommy told me to buy Pentax!
    So did Hoya's mummy.

    Too bad it didn't go through.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •