Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    388

    Default Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Hi there,

    I got a referral from a friend to shoot some shots of her friend's Spa.
    The purpose of the shoot is for website and maybe magazine advert.
    As my experience in this kind of shoot is limited, I would like some advice on the charging model for this kind of assignment.

    Much thanks.

  2. #2
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Sometimes the fee they willing to pay are very low,so be prepared.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    must see how many shots requires.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Thanks for replying.

    I believe they need about 4-6 shots. Actually, I think it all depends on the price.
    Actually, this establishment have got a quote from a commercial photographer, but the charges are too high. So I was asked as an "alternative".
    I do not want to charge too low, as not to spoil market, but I cant charge too high due to my experience. Haiz.. Although I am not a pro, but I do take pride in my work. Furthermore, the shoot can only be done after their operating hours i.e about 930pm.
    Last edited by siriuslim; 10th April 2007 at 12:40 AM.

  5. #5
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    600-800 per shot is reasonable.
    sigh.

  6. #6
    Senior Member oracle0711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Settling down in Punggol
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    If your concern is about the lack of experience and therefore the inability to command a high rate, I would still recommend a minimum of 4k or 5k for this assignment (which is relatively low given that the images will be used for advertorial purpose which means earning potential for the clients).

    In the end, you are going to shoot more than 4-6 shots simply because your client may not have an idea of what constitues the 'right' shot for each different perspective. Technically, they would be looking at your output (on the camera or on the notebook if you bring along one) right after each press of the shutter. Every one single view would constitute a probability of your client changing his/her mind and adjusting to a different angle. At the end of the day, 4 to 6 shots may end up with say 20 to 30 counts of shutter lifespan being depressed.

    You may end up shooting say 3 hrs ('minimumly' speaking) to 6 hrs (high probability), which can be quite taxing - arranging the place, adjusting the model posts (if any), lighting, etc etc. Don't forget the loads of equipment you have to carry. Also, since it is a night shoot (after 9pm), you are likely to need extra sets of lightings to help with the shoot (unless you are really relying on white-balance corrected and long exposure shoot - works fine if no models are involved but picture normally end up softer)

    And the efforts goes on after the shoot to produce the picture with some digital retouching ...

    Oh yes, since it is after 6pm, it means overtime and therefore justifying the need to charge for more... Btw, if the client says something about putting your name on the pictures when it is being printed will aid in building your portfolio, well let's say money matters more (though other may differs).

    Cheers!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mostly SF, Sometimes SGP
    Posts
    424

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Make sure you establish a rights managed fee structure so they have something to buy in the future. That's my take.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    does this spa happens to have a name starting with "H" ?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Are they expecting a professional standard from you since they have ask for a quote from a commerical photographer already? If "Yes", that better ask them to pay that photographer or get more quotes.

    Are they willing to lower their expection since you mentioned that you don't have much experence?If "No" than see above. If "Yes", than:

    1) Meet up with them at their SPA.
    2) Have a recce with them to check out the angles and shoots needed.
    3) After the recce and meeting, ask yourself if you can do what they require of you, skills and expericence wise.
    4) Est. how much time, resources, material, etc you'll need to get the job done.
    5) Decide on your pricing. In the market, since it's a shoot after 9:30pm, a "competant" photographer may charge about $600/- to $700/- for a 4 hour shoot. Of course other photographers may charge higher depanding on their expericence.

    Cheers
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  10. #10

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    If it comes with models... I'd settle for TFCD..hahaha

    Seriously, if you can get the rates as adviced in this thread, you'll be very lucky. More practically, it depends on your friend's perception of your charge. You might want to "tactfully" glean the rough budget from your friend.

    Business is business... best quote with best deliverables wins... quote over budget..loses.

    Also, ckuang have very good advice too... RM your pics.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon View Post
    does this spa happens to have a name starting with "H" ?
    Ermm.. nope...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    Make sure you establish a rights managed fee structure so they have something to buy in the future. That's my take.
    actually I still havent figure out this rights thing.
    I assume that the hirer will own the rights since they are paying for service?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Are they expecting a professional standard from you since they have ask for a quote from a commerical photographer already? If "Yes", that better ask them to pay that photographer or get more quotes.

    Are they willing to lower their expection since you mentioned that you don't have much experence?If "No" than see above. If "Yes", than:

    1) Meet up with them at their SPA.
    2) Have a recce with them to check out the angles and shoots needed.
    3) After the recce and meeting, ask yourself if you can do what they require of you, skills and expericence wise.
    4) Est. how much time, resources, material, etc you'll need to get the job done.
    5) Decide on your pricing. In the market, since it's a shoot after 9:30pm, a "competant" photographer may charge about $600/- to $700/- for a 4 hour shoot. Of course other photographers may charge higher depanding on their expericence.

    Cheers
    Thanks for the breakdown of tasks.
    I have went down to the premise to recce the place and spoken to the owner. They know my experience. hence I do not think they are expecting me to charge at the normal rate.
    All they want are shots of the reception area, couple room, jacuzzi, normal massage room, some massage oil and products. Seems to be quite straightforward. I also estimated for a 4hour shoot. As i do not have my own transport, it will be quite a hassle for me to bring all of my gear down. this is my biggest headache.
    Actually, I do not think i am able to charge that $600-$700 range yet. I guess the more you charge, the higher the expectation is. I guess I can understand the stress level of a pro. haiz

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    If it comes with models... I'd settle for TFCD..hahaha

    Seriously, if you can get the rates as adviced in this thread, you'll be very lucky. More practically, it depends on your friend's perception of your charge. You might want to "tactfully" glean the rough budget from your friend.

    Business is business... best quote with best deliverables wins... quote over budget..loses.

    Also, ckuang have very good advice too... RM your pics.
    Ya. Thanks for your advice. I do not think i can get those rates. I am trying to "fish" out their budget. the answer was the usual, "as low as possible lor".
    Sometime I find that it is very difficult to do business with people you know. haiz

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711 View Post
    If your concern is about the lack of experience and therefore the inability to command a high rate, I would still recommend a minimum of 4k or 5k for this assignment (which is relatively low given that the images will be used for advertorial purpose which means earning potential for the clients).

    In the end, you are going to shoot more than 4-6 shots simply because your client may not have an idea of what constitues the 'right' shot for each different perspective. Technically, they would be looking at your output (on the camera or on the notebook if you bring along one) right after each press of the shutter. Every one single view would constitute a probability of your client changing his/her mind and adjusting to a different angle. At the end of the day, 4 to 6 shots may end up with say 20 to 30 counts of shutter lifespan being depressed.

    You may end up shooting say 3 hrs ('minimumly' speaking) to 6 hrs (high probability), which can be quite taxing - arranging the place, adjusting the model posts (if any), lighting, etc etc. Don't forget the loads of equipment you have to carry. Also, since it is a night shoot (after 9pm), you are likely to need extra sets of lightings to help with the shoot (unless you are really relying on white-balance corrected and long exposure shoot - works fine if no models are involved but picture normally end up softer)

    And the efforts goes on after the shoot to produce the picture with some digital retouching ...

    Oh yes, since it is after 6pm, it means overtime and therefore justifying the need to charge for more... Btw, if the client says something about putting your name on the pictures when it is being printed will aid in building your portfolio, well let's say money matters more (though other may differs).

    Cheers!
    In many cases it is not a good idea to bring your laptop to show......depending on the client, many will ask for changes, at the end you end up taking 3 hrs just for one shot. If they pay by the hour than its ok perhaps if you have a 'demanding' client........

    HS

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampines SG
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by siriuslim View Post
    Hi there,

    I got a referral from a friend to shoot some shots of her friend's Spa.
    The purpose of the shoot is for website and maybe magazine advert.
    As my experience in this kind of shoot is limited, I would like some advice on the charging model for this kind of assignment.

    Much thanks.
    give them 2 choices
    1]raw images [lower rate]
    2]raw images and images done with DI! can get clown to do it at a fees!!!saw his website,his DI very impressive.
    Not really sure whatto quote maybe $800 tp $1200?u may want to get a sample of before and after di to shown customers..will make them saliver comes out....

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by siriuslim View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown of tasks.
    I have went down to the premise to recce the place and spoken to the owner. They know my experience. hence I do not think they are expecting me to charge at the normal rate.
    All they want are shots of the reception area, couple room, jacuzzi, normal massage room, some massage oil and products. Seems to be quite straightforward. I also estimated for a 4hour shoot. As i do not have my own transport, it will be quite a hassle for me to bring all of my gear down. this is my biggest headache.
    Actually, I do not think i am able to charge that $600-$700 range yet. I guess the more you charge, the higher the expectation is. I guess I can understand the stress level of a pro. haiz
    Once you have accepted the job, it does not matter if you have transport or not. Even if you charge low, it's your choice to charge that low, $1.00 or $1000.00, you are still PAID to do a job. You should make an effort to bring down your gears ( unless you think you don't need them ) and not because the quote is too low to cover transportation. Be mindful of the mood they want. Usually when shooting a SPA the photographer will have to bring out a relex, warm, mood to the images. Study the lightings there and see if you can bring out the mood by using what they have there, it can be done but if not controlled properly the image will look too warm and flat. Remember, you're shooting at night so there will not be any sunlight/window light to help you.

    Cheers
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  18. #18

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Good luck. Hope u get it right.

  19. #19
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    I personally think 6-700 is quite low for a shoot of this nature. If you think you are not even able to charge that price, then you're almost doing it for free.

    I could be wrong, since I'm not a professional

    Quote Originally Posted by siriuslim View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown of tasks.
    I have went down to the premise to recce the place and spoken to the owner. They know my experience. hence I do not think they are expecting me to charge at the normal rate.
    All they want are shots of the reception area, couple room, jacuzzi, normal massage room, some massage oil and products. Seems to be quite straightforward. I also estimated for a 4hour shoot. As i do not have my own transport, it will be quite a hassle for me to bring all of my gear down. this is my biggest headache.
    Actually, I do not think i am able to charge that $600-$700 range yet. I guess the more you charge, the higher the expectation is. I guess I can understand the stress level of a pro. haiz

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Rates for charging a photo shoot for a Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I personally think 6-700 is quite low for a shoot of this nature. If you think you are not even able to charge that price, then you're almost doing it for free.

    I could be wrong, since I'm not a professional
    I guess you have to look at it this way.

    It's not uncommon in the commercial market for photographer to charge between $1K to $1.5K for a full day job depanding on the photographer. Some will charge half that for 1/2 day job while others will charge just a little more for 1/2 day job. Remember, this is base on 1 day or 1/2 day and not to quote base on the job. If you ask me, I'll most likely, depanding on the meeting and recce, charge about $1k.
    Last edited by yqt; 11th April 2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo error
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •