Thread: Granite mining to resume at Ubin: go see the place before it's gone

Default Granite mining to resume at Ubin: go see the place before it's gone

As announced in this news item http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...269297/1/.html , this abandoned quarry which is now totally unproductive and filled with things like pitcher plants, jungle fowl, lush vegetation and birds will soon be a bustling hub of industry and pollution.

And with the quarry currently filled with fresh water, all this liquid and whatever that's swimming in it (fish, otters, monitor lizards) will have to be pumped out and flushed into the sea. After that the real fun begins with clearing of the surrounding vegetation and weekday blasting for granite (until it's all gone and quarrying starts at some other place)

And if you don't have the opportunity to see the place, check out this last ditch report on the quarry area:
    http://wildfilms.blogspot.com/2007/0...ulau-ubin.html

Pulau Ubin has its own blog here http://pulauubinstories.blogspot.com/ and for first timers, here's some other sites on activities on the island:
    http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/activities/pedalubin/
    www.wildsingapore.com/ubin/index.html
    http://uvp.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by budak; 9th April 2007 at 06:35 PM.

Default Re: Granite mining to resume at Ubin: go see the place before it's gone

giving me the impression we are having less and less natural landscapes, soon sungei buloh will be next for re-development into a chalet i guess...
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by excerpts from CNA
    Ms Fu said that while Singapore has sourced and received imports from other granite sources, efforts will be made to ensure that the supply line is further diversified to enhance resilience for the local construction industry.

She said that while Singapore looks to buy from as many sources as possible, to build its stockpile and work with the industry for more sustainable construction methods, one other alternative is to look into the local granite sources.
    Looks like Government starting to push the panic button? I don't like this at all, reusing Kekek quarry.

I thought talents means dont need granite also can look for other ways to erect building and construction? Still back to square ones! Neighbouring country sure know how to fend for themselves, no means no!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenieadi View Post
    Looks like Government starting to push the panic button? I don't like this at all, reusing Kekek quarry.

i wonder what would be our neighbour's feel? they think they could damage us with the ban, but in the end, they loose business and no money...

Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    i wonder what would be our neighbour's feel? they think they could damage us with the ban, but in the end, they loose business and no money...
    they will think : how long ubi island granite can last for the usage of construction?

I gotta grab some pictures before they make a mess out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    they will think : how long ubi island granite can last for the usage of construction?
    but we good our good brother: 缅甸

singapore the best! no one can hurt us!

No water? We will drink our own toilet water!

Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    still have xiao guiling.

so sad to hear that...

Puaka hill is nice... The highest point of ubin... Anyone?

Last edited by Youhong; 10th April 2007 at 05:31 PM.
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    still have xiao guiling.
    Oh my....

Soon got New Granite to buddy with New water then New vege and New everything
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    singapore the best! no one can hurt us!

No water? We will drink our own toilet water!

Quote Originally Posted by Youhong View Post
    how did you get up there? tot it was fenced up?

IT'S REALLY SAD!!! To have to see Ubin lose some of it's serenity...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

i dun think so, went up there once too, but tat time the cam was a CMI one....

You just need to climb the Puaka Hill can already... there are 4 levels... Get to the top, you will get to enjoy the whole view...

If anybody is interested, here's an overview of kekek quarry
    the one that's going to be mined soon
    it may not be the highest point
    but it's one of the most accessible quarry at ubin

for more info, see here
    Last edited by eskie; 12th April 2007 at 05:47 PM.

thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Youhong View Post
    so sad to hear that...

Puaka hill is nice... The highest point of ubin... Anyone?
    Puaka in Malay means haunted. How ironic. Hehe...its a nice point to take pics of the quarry btw.