Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

  1. #1

    Default Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    I need some help in PS.

    I have a few hundred shots that are large size files from my camera as I shot in Fine JPEG.

    I try to reduced the files size so that I can upload it into the website all in one go.

    I did a record of my action...that is image size reduced...eg to 1280 x 890.

    Then I try to record my action to save the files over the original file. However the system would keep on prompting me each time when I run the automated batch file to save my files.

    Is there a better way to automate a batch job to reduced the image and save back the file ?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    don't record the "save" as part of the action.

    The saving part is under the BATCH dialog box. There is an option to overwrite the existing file.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    You can try the Image Resizer Powertoy from Microsoft, downloadable from their website. It allows you select multiple files from Windows Explorer and downsize to a lower res with the right click menu. Works pretty well but doesn't give you much control other than specifying the resolution.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    i use CS to do batch resize without any issue. Here is my simple work flow


    open an image > go to record new action

    resize (use percentage if yr original are of the same size) else you might have to seperate the landscape from the potraits.

    save-as (if you want to keep the original) into new folder.

    close file. stop record.

    den go to automate > batch > select folder (or photos if you d not want to resize all)

    excute...

    BTW, can any one help me with the orientation portion, if i have mixed size and in landscape and potraits, how to resize them to the same size.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    i use CS to do batch resize without any issue. Here is my simple work flow


    open an image > go to record new action

    resize (use percentage if yr original are of the same size) else you might have to seperate the landscape from the potraits.

    save-as (if you want to keep the original) into new folder.

    close file. stop record.

    den go to automate > batch > select folder (or photos if you d not want to resize all)

    excute...

    BTW, can any one help me with the orientation portion, if i have mixed size and in landscape and potraits, how to resize them to the same size.
    not sure for photoshop(don think possible with a single batch process), but if you got ACDsee, its d**n easily... just batch them to the same number of pixel.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Quote Originally Posted by joeman View Post
    Is there a better way to automate a batch job to reduced the image and save back the file ?
    Photoshop Elements 5.0?

  7. #7
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    save to a different folder
    and check the boxes below to suppress warnings


  8. #8

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Hi, there is a simpler way.
    create webgallery.
    you can control the output images and the 'thumbnails' on the height limit
    choose any template (it doesn't matter)
    you only need the images that has been reseized for 'online' viewing.
    there isnt any need for creating action either.

    browse around the available variables for creating gallery.

    enjoy.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    BTW, can any one help me with the orientation portion, if i have mixed size and in landscape and potraits, how to resize them to the same size.
    Is there an option to resize based on the long side or short side? Some software allows this. I'm not familiar with CS.

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    ........................
    BTW, can any one help me with the orientation portion, if i have mixed size and in landscape and potraits, how to resize them to the same size.
    instead of input the pixel size, use percentage.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbinks76 View Post
    You can try the Image Resizer Powertoy from Microsoft, downloadable from their website. It allows you select multiple files from Windows Explorer and downsize to a lower res with the right click menu. Works pretty well but doesn't give you much control other than specifying the resolution.
    this prog sux big time, it's good for the quick resize to show ppl some candid/draft shots but definitely not for serious use.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    BTW, can any one help me with the orientation portion, if i have mixed size and in landscape and potraits, how to resize them to the same size.
    use the "fit to size" function then enter in the length of the longest edge, all pics will then be resized with the longest side to your defined length, regardless of orientation.

    don't have PS with me now, but it's in the 'automate' or something menus.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Simei, Punggol Central
    Posts
    833

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Window XP can reduce the image size already. Work faster and dun need any extra installation of software. I always use this method
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/dig...mailpicsxp.htm

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    use the "fit to size" function then enter in the length of the longest edge, all pics will then be resized with the longest side to your defined length, regardless of orientation.

    don't have PS with me now, but it's in the 'automate' or something menus.
    thanks, will try that out.

  15. #15
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    ......................

    BTW, can any one help me with the orientation portion, if i have mixed size and in landscape and potraits, how to resize them to the same size.
    found a Scripts can do this, hope this helps.

    //Remember default preferences
    startRulerUnits = app.preferences.rulerUnits

    //Set Photoshop preferences
    app.preferences.rulerUnits =Units.PIXELS

    reSampleMethod = ResampleMethod.NONE

    var docRef = app.activeDocument
    var docHeight = docRef.height
    var docWidth = docRef.width

    if (docHeight > docWidth)
    {
    docRef.resizeImage(402,600,72)
    }
    else
    {
    docRef.resizeImage(600,402,72)
    }

    //Reset preferences
    app.preferences.rulerUnits = startRulerUnits
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  16. #16

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Agreed that Windows file resizer is really bad. The saved files become very soft and poor quality.

    I normally use Photoshop batch function to resize my pics to websize. There is an option when calling the batch function that says "Save and Close". This will automatically save the picture after the resize has been done. Make sure you work on a directory which is a COPY of the original (otherwise your original full res pics will be resized forever!). The quality of the resampling is much better than the Windows resizer programme - the pictures remain sharp.

    I prefer to specify pixel height and width rather than percentage (sometimes the original files are different resolutions, so I might end up with different sized smaller files), so what I do is create two folders "H" and "V" and sort out the pictures into Horizontal and Vertical format (I always stick to 3:2 aspect ratio). Then I just create two different actions, one for each format, and run the appropriate batch action for each folder.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Automated Batch Job to reduced Image size

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    this prog sux big time, it's good for the quick resize to show ppl some candid/draft shots but definitely not for serious use.
    it messes up everything, especially the colours.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •