Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Recommendation for new PC

Default Re: Recommendation for new PC

Quote Originally Posted by wainism View Post
    seems that the price cuts are here for INTEL

anyone knows where i can read up on instructions how to do a RAID and Overclocking?

Over clocking is now made very easy for us. Most has a windows based utility to help you along. Those are mainly for oc on the fly. There are instances that you may need the extra boost for certain apps, this are the best time using this kind of windows based oc. If you want a more permanent oc, it has to be done through the BIOS. For Intel cpu, you just simply up the FSB. The more hard core ones will involve cherry picking the right hw, upping voltages and exotic cooling etc etc.

My 2c.
    Last edited by cpuer; 18th April 2007 at 09:00 AM.

So I heard a MAC is more stable than a PC. It's very rare for one to crash even when you're pushing the disk to work harder for you. Also it is rare for a MAC to get a virus.....are these statements true?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    So I heard a MAC is more stable than a PC. It's very rare for one to crash even when you're pushing the disk to work harder for you. Also it is rare for a MAC to get a virus.....are these statements true?
    I believe that is true. Especially the second point. Because there is very little Mac users, so virus writers target PCs rather than Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    I believe that is true. Especially the second point. Because there is very little Mac users, so virus writers target PCs rather than Mac.
    Actually a Mac is just as safe as a PC, just that there are much more virus attacking PC than Mac.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Actually a Mac is just as safe as a PC, just that there are much more virus attacking PC than Mac.
    ...but is it true that there are more flaws in a PC??? ... because on security websites, I saw many articles on flaws of PC than on Mac and Linux....

There seem to be more flaws in a PC is because people are targetting PC rather than other OS. So more flaws are discovered in PC rather than other OS.

Just install all the necessary protection on the PC and you should be alright. Protection like firewall, anti-virus program, spyware scanning software etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    Just install all the necessary protection on the PC and you should be alright. Protection like firewall, anti-virus program, spyware scanning software etc.
    Yup.

To be more specific.

antivirus: free.grisoft.com
    spyware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/...e_personal.php AND http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

on the subject of protection for PC, i suggest you do some research. you definitely want to get an antivirus suite, firewall and spam protection, but there is a big difference in terms of how these products perform and more importantly, how much resources they take up.

for example, a lot of people go with norton as an all in one suite, but it is a MASSIVE resource hog.

the other thing worth doing, is to go through your start up processes to see what is being loaded when windows starts up and disable all the unecessary ones. there are a few sites on the internet which will list which ones can safely be disabled. you will be amazed how much faster you load up. for example, im always horrified to see people with huge numbers of load up icons in the right corner of their windows start bar.. for me, i only have the time, MSN, wifi , remove hardware icon and thats it. and mines a notebook.
    Last edited by jdredd; 23rd April 2007 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    on the subject of protection for PC, i suggest you do some research. you definitely want to get an antivirus suite, firewall and spam protection, but there is a big difference in terms of how these products perform and more importantly, how much resources they take up.

for example, a lot of people go with norton as an all in one suite, but it is a MASSIVE resource hog.

the other thing worth doing, is to go through your start up processes to see what is being loaded when windows starts up and disable all the unecessary ones. there are a few sites on the internet which will list which ones can safely be disabled. you will be amazed how much faster you load up. for example, im always horrified to see people with huge numbers of load up icons in the right corner of their windows start bar.. for me, i only have the time, MSN, wifi , remove hardware icon and thats it. and mines a notebook.
    how do you know which processes to remove? i would like to speed up my comp too!

for me, i only have the time, MSN, wifi , remove hardware icon and thats it. and mines a notebook.
    It might be alright for jredd, but for the average user please please use a antivirus program with a real-time scanner and updates.

Yes agree with dnaxe better to not play with tools that could potentially stuff up the usage of your PC - unless you're PC savvy or you're happy to potentially have to rebuild your PC should you do the wrong thing. (presume jdredd is talking about messing with registry settings)

If wainism is interested there are download tools on M'soft website such as TWEAKUI. Interestingly will give you the multiple desktop that VISTA now has. Been available for some time now but M'soft decided to add it into the OS.

Norton has taken note of this issue. They have resolved this in their latest release Norton 360.

Mcafee total protection is good and priced competively.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion View Post
    Norton has taken note of this issue. They have resolved this in their latest release Norton 360.

Mcafee total protection is good and priced competively.
    Have you got any interest in the matter?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456