Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for new PC

Default Re: Recommendation for new PC

I would love to have 4 x 74GB Raptors for a raid10 setup
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Default Re: Recommendation for new PC - consider a Mac instead

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    I use PCs all the time (needing to run SQL Server, and play with programming tools)
    and recently purchased a mac with a slightly lower spec. - decided to find out why my buddies keep going on about the darn machine. When fishing around for a mac was surprised about the price of a laptop (much cheaper now) and....
    Well. The cheap macs have always been semi affordable, and reasonably competitive (when first released). The more expensive machines are getting better, but macs are still more expensive.

....The mac is totallly sweet - way better than the PC version....and if you're talking about multimedia stuff - it kicks the PC in the face......
    yay for fanboys and girls? ...

- my mac has come with a photo editing program built into the OS that can publish easily onto the web.
    Hello picasa!

- playing with sound and music - get a mac - my mac came with a sounds editing app built into the OS and has been way easier to use than stuff I've got free
    I think garageband is pretty good - and the mac alternatives -are- easier to use - but garangeband is not free, and sound editting hasn't become a mac thing almost at all...

- editing videos - get a mac - only felt like saying that - cause my buddy says its better but have not seen the prog yet.
    for a home user, I agree. iVideo is good. For more professional applications, no so much.

I don't have proof on the website yet - as I am still learning (between writing lines of code and writing technical manuals and learning about web technologies) and being impressed by the mac power.
    grats to you. perhaps step out of the RDF once in awhile.

P.S. The core 2 duo chip is an energy eater
    as compared to what?

Default Re: Have you cleaned yr machine?

By the way David - stupid question here - is your Dell only slow for one app or for all?

How long have you been using the machine and have you cleaned it up....perhaps even rebuilt it and then tested running the apps on it again?

Downside about PCs is the fragmentation, the garbage in registry, the garbage crashed programs leave, the services that get fired up when you don't need them due to apps being installed and never used.....easily get a virus since most people write viruses for PCs and M'soft products.
    You have a valid point about fragmentation, registry problems etc. The problems keep compiling. It is essential to defrag the disks and manage the registry etc. on a frequent basis. By the way, I bought the Dell about a year ago and it is particularly slow when running DXO. Capture NX and Photoshop both also take a while to start when launched.

My reason for wanting to get a new PC is besides the complaint that it is slow, it is a PC shared among family members and as you say, the more applications you install, the slower it runs. Hence, I decide to get a dedicated PC that will be used for digital imaging purposes only.

hi guys,

any idea how to make PS read and write files during editing the fastest?

will getting the just the raptor at 74GB for apps and perhaps scratch and a say 500GB SATA2 hdisk?

my files are mainly raw files of 12mb and jpegs of 5-6mb

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wainism View Post
    hi guys,

any idea how to make PS read and write files during editing the fastest?

will getting the just the raptor at 74GB for apps and perhaps scratch and a say 500GB SATA2 hdisk?

my files are mainly raw files of 12mb and jpegs of 5-6mb

thanks
    faster processor, more ram, faster hard disk (raptor as scratch - but make sure it's not shared with windows virtual memory )

Quote Originally Posted by David Chin View Post
    You have a valid point about fragmentation, registry problems etc. The problems keep compiling. It is essential to defrag the disks and manage the registry etc. on a frequent basis. By the way, I bought the Dell about a year ago and it is particularly slow when running DXO. Capture NX and Photoshop both also take a while to start when launched.

My reason for wanting to get a new PC is besides the complaint that it is slow, it is a PC shared among family members and as you say, the more applications you install, the slower it runs. Hence, I decide to get a dedicated PC that will be used for digital imaging purposes only.
    maybe can try adding more HDD in... it helps a lot when you files starts to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by David Chin View Post
    You mean having the software installed in C: and the file storage in D:.
    Yes... Vice versa. I have three HDDs : One for the OS, one for Photoshop CS2 and one for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by dnaxe View Post
    faster processor, more ram, faster hard disk (raptor as scratch - but make sure it's not shared with windows virtual memory )
    i'm using a 74GB raptor as scratch disk. i don't notice much difference, and somehow i wished i bought a 500GB harddisk instead.

if you're feeling the pinch $ wise, i guess a 500GB hard disk will be more satisfying in the long run.
    Last edited by djork; 12th April 2007 at 12:31 PM.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

hi guys,

basically i want minimum lag when i am like opening 20 jpegs at 1 go

or running filters and actions

so is 74gb for OS, 74gb for files i m editing (and later transfering to my storage hdisk) and 500gb for storage fast enough?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    i'm using a 74GB raptor as scratch disk. i don't notice much difference, and somehow i wished i bought a 500GB harddisk instead.
    that's why I mentioned that raptors might not be that big an improvement in speed for scratch... 8GB RAM and Vista 64

and while at it, have a RAID 1 or RAID 5 for storage...safer...

P.S. The core 2 duo chip is an energy eater
    er...have you worked with a PowerPC powered PowerMac G5... those things are really hot... so much so that on some versions, Apple had to build water cooling systems in by default... and heat output means energy wasted... the G5 processor was so power inefficient it never made it to their laptops... there is a reason why Apple changed to core2...

really, there is not much diff between using Mac and PC for photoshop... it is the same software... just have to remember pressing diff keys for shortcuts (their physical locations are reversed, if you know what I mean)...

Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post

if you're feeling the pinch $ wise, i guess a 500GB hard disk will be more satisfying in the long run.
    You'll only fall back to using the scratch disk if you run out of ram. So I suppose you have lots of ram to start with or actually didn't use up all the ram.

It depends on your budget really.

If your budget allows, I would seriously recommend you get the Mac Pro. That's if you do super intensive photo editing, maybe 4 hours a day. I work in the newsroom doing graphics stuff and I must say that it's a truly dependable machine, when the deadline is everyday. It doesn't break, even if you're running the processor to the max (you'll hear the fan blowing) for hours straight, which I do on a daily basis.

Personally, I own a Mac Mini for 2 years and I must say that I have never troubleshooted it once.

This is the good thing about Mac, you can truly focus on your work and won't get distracted by miscellaneous stuff, simply because there are no such things to worry about (e.g. virus, defrag, spyware, popups and whatevers). You don't have to defrag the Mac.

Ram memory handling in a Mac is perfect. On Windows, sometimes I still face with memory shortage with Windows telling me that I've run out of ram. When I check the task manager, it is simply not true. Anyway, my Windows machine uses 2gb ram.

You can install all the applications you want and use them all at the same time without lag. Only limited by the amount of ram you have.

The Mac is worth right down to the single cent you spend. But anyway, it's the OS that makes the difference. If not for the OS, the Mac will be as cheap as the cheapest Windows machine (something Mac fans will never admit).

If you're not doing super intensive stuff, the iMac is enough. Actually the iMac is more value for money since it comes with a screen. The Mac Pro is only value for money if you do breakneck photo editing.

If you want to get a PC, the ones jervislim configured are great. Looking at the price, you can actually spend a bit more to get the 20" iMac.

If you're getting the PC, do note that the problems that's plaguing your Dell machine will still be there. You'll still have to defrag your computer, install antivirus, fix registry problems and do other maintenance stuff. These problems don't go away just because you're now getting a faster machine. You're still using the same OS, Windows.

Anyway, don't get Vista. Lots of drivers are not out yet.

It is only because Parka said this:

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    The Mac is worth right down to the single cent you spend. But anyway, it's the OS that makes the difference. If not for the OS, the Mac will be as cheap as the cheapest Windows machine (something Mac fans will never admit).
    that he can say this:

If you're not doing super intensive stuff, the iMac is enough. Actually the iMac is more value for money since it comes with a screen. The Mac Pro is only value for money if you do breakneck photo editing.

Quote Originally Posted by dnaxe View Post

grats to you. perhaps step out of the RDF once in awhile.

as compared to what?
    Darn it dnaxe you found me out.....just a girly trying to talk "boy talk"

Anyway in a survey we've been told we spend 15% of electricity on light. They made a deal out of the 15%.....so what about the 85%?

So in my girly logic it became clear that 85% must be on my PC since the other electrical stuff (besides the fridge) is not on the whole day. Therefore core 2 and reg must be energy eaters.

P.S. What does RDF mean? I know folks tell me RTFM!!!

Darn it dnaxe you found me out.....just a girly trying to talk "boy talk"

Anyway in a survey we've been told we spend 15% of electricity on light. They made a deal out of the 15%.....so what about the 85%?

So in my girly logic it became clear that 85% must be on my PC since the other electrical stuff (besides the fridge) is not on the whole day. Therefore core 2 and reg must be energy eaters.

P.S. What does RDF mean? I know folks tell me RTFM!!!
    RDF: http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?pro...tion_Field.txt

Oh man -- you know about my RDF!! Darn it dnaxe what else d'ya know about me?

How come garageband is not free - it's on my mac. There has been no indication that I have to register the product???

Also been playing with iPhotos not Picassa. A basic tool but I spend too much time playing with trying to understand other vendor's CSS and PHP to suit my own. It's painful.
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 14th April 2007 at 07:34 AM.

Oh man -- you know about my RDF!! Darn it dnaxe what else d'ya know about me?

How come garageband is not free - it's on my mac. There has been no indication that I have to register the product???

Also been playing with iPhotos not Picassa. A basic tool but I spend too much time playing with trying to understand other vendor's CSS and PHP to suit my own. It's painful.
    Oops. you're right about garageband... It's not completely free, but it comes bundled with new macs, which is probably as good as.

Picasa is the free windows equivalent to iphoto.

By the way David - stupid question here - is your Dell only slow for one app or for all?

How long have you been using the machine and have you cleaned it up....perhaps even rebuilt it and then tested running the apps on it again?

Downside about PCs is the fragmentation, the garbage in registry, the garbage crashed programs leave, the services that get fired up when you don't need them due to apps being installed and never used.....easily get a virus since most people write viruses for PCs and M'soft products.
    Mac do have fragmentation problems too.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion View Post
    Mac do have fragmentation problems too.
    Am I to be dis-illusioned so fast? So between a mac and a pc what would you choose?

Am I to be dis-illusioned so fast? So between a mac and a pc what would you choose?
    Well, I play games, so I'd pick PC.

It's really not such a big deal though. Just enjoy whatever you have...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast