Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for new PC

Default Re: Recommendation for new PC

Quote Originally Posted by David Chin View Post
    You mean having the software installed in C: and the file storage in D:.
    nope, i believe he meant to use 1 HDD as scratch disk...

I have been PP using my Dell machine but this is far too slow. I intend to get a dedicated PC for PP. The applications I use regularly are Photoshop, Capture NX and DXO. Of course, it is easy to say get the most powerful processor etc but this always involve paying a substantial premium. I need value for money recommendations for:

1. The type of processor: namely AMD v Intel, single core or dual core
    2. Motherboard
    3. Graphic card
    4. Memory

Lastly, has anyone fully tested Windows Vista? Should I stick with XP Pro for the moment?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

David

Budget please. Also - do you play games?

get a graphics card ($100+) and 2GB RAM ($180+).

That should do the trick for you for a while.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I have prepared a budget of $2,000 (excluding monitor). Any nice package to recommend?
    sorry. just saw this. If the box is for PP only, and if you're happy to stick to XP, i'll recommend the following:

Asus P5L-MX i945G DDR2/VGA/GBE/S2/Audio with E6600 = 648
    PC 6400 Corsair Dominator Twin2X C4D = 582
    Western D Raptor 150GB 10Krpm S2 / 16MB = 429 (programs - one sata channel)
    WD Raptor 74GB 10Krpm S2 / 16MB = 258 (scratch - one sata channel)
    Hitachi 500GB 16MB (5 Yrs) = 240 (IDE - use for media), as many as necessary.

Whatever case, psu, and etc. Prices from Fuwell.

I pick the 945 because it has an integrated IDE controller, rather than the 965, which uses an add-on chip to provide IDE support. Integrated graphics are good enough for XP - I don't believe that PP programs benefit from a beefier graphics card (please correct me if i'm wrong)

If you're not in a hurry, there is a rumour that the Q3 price cuts (if you can wait) will involve the Q6600 dropping to SGD 500, which is pretty good stuff.

make sure that you get the latest revision of the WD Raptor 74GB - can't remember the SKU. If you want to cut costs, I would think that the 500GB for programs and the 74GB for scratch would be fastest for working, but involve slightly elevated startup times. Benchmark it in your system and decide on the configuration for yourself.

Last thing - I believe the hitachi 500 GB is the fastest non-raptor hard disk you can get. I don't think there will be any negative impact from having it on an IDE channel rather than a SATA channel.
    Last edited by dnaxe; 11th April 2007 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpuer View Post
    May I know if your roommate's pc is an Athlon XP? The Athlon and the P4 Prescotts are hot potatoes. But since amd 64 came along, heat is no more an issue. amd also utilises the Cool n Quiet tech(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool'n'Quiet). So yes, the old "heatiness" is no more a concerns for both amd and intel(c2d).

BTW, I have corrected my suggestion by stating the cpu to get should be the 65W EE versions.

Cheers.
    Not sure if the 65w EE version you're recommending is also 65nm (too many varieties!), but note that those AMD chips are even slower than the 90nm chips.

There is no reason, at this point, to suggest an AMD for photoshop duties - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...x2-6000_6.html

Yes, no overclocking for me as I am not into gaming. My reflexes are too slow and 99 out of 100, I would kaput in the very early stage of whatever game I had played. This is so discouraging that I had given up completely. The only faming I am into is chess where I am at least given time to think although I am no match for computer programme like Fritz which has beaten virtually every human being including the current world champion, Vladimir Kramnik. I intend to use the PC for processing photos only.

I reckon even an entry level graphic card will be sufficient and I would be better off spending my money on more and faster RAMs and processor. By the way, how much faster is the Intel Core Duo compared to their Dual Core? How do they compare to the AMDs?

I can build the PC myself but this is too much hassle. I guess the prices should be cheapest in Sim Lim Square but the reputation of shops there isn't good. Does anyone know of a shop there that you would personally recommend?
    Tell us the specs of your current dell. TBH, perhaps you should just buy another dell.

Quote Originally Posted by dnaxe View Post

Last thing - I believe the hitachi 500 GB is the fastest non-raptor hard disk you can get. I don't think there will be any negative impact from having it on an IDE channel rather than a SATA channel.
    why do you want it to be on an IDE channel?
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

You mean having the software installed in C: and the file storage in D:.
    It another HDD, not a partition.
    Well, only useful when u dont have enough ram and hits 'scratch disk'. Setting the 2nd HDD for scratch disk use will speed things up. However, if theres lots of junk in this 2nd HDD then it may not be useful as well.
    Last edited by firestone; 11th April 2007 at 02:20 PM.

For PP, priority goes to pure processing power (CPU), quick seek time (fast and large enough seperate hdd for storage) and huge memory resource (rams). Graphics card is not important unless doing 3D graphics. Thus, mid-range card like 7600GT/7900GS will suffice even for latest games on mid-resoultion if required. Hence, I recommend the following:

Configuration 1 for Windows Vista Setup
    Processor + Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DS3 + Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 - $728
    RAM: 4x1GB Kingston DDR2 667 PC5300 - $328
    HardDisks: Western Digital Rapter 36GB 10k rpm SATA2 (5yrs wrty) as OS drive - $168
    Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA2 (5yrs wrty) as storage drive - $233
    Graphics Card: ASUS EN7600GT 256MB DDR3 (3yrs wrty) - $195
    DVD Rewritable Optical Drive: LG GSA-H44N - $52
    Power Supply: Coolermaster Extremepower 430W (3yrs wrty) - $69
    Mid-Tower ATX Casing: CoolerMaster Elite 330 - $59
    Operating System: MS Windows Vista Home Premium OEM - $169

Total: $2001

Configuration 2 for Windows XP Pro Setup
    Processor + Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DS3 + Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 - $728
    RAM: 2X1GB Kingston DDR2 667 PC5300 - $164
    HardDisks: Western Digital Rapter 36GB 10k rpm SATA2 (5yrs wrty) as OS drive - $168
    Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA2 (5yrs wrty) as storage drive - $233
    Graphics Card: ASUS EN7600GT 256MB DDR3 (3yrs wrty) - $195
    DVD Rewritable Optical Drive: LG GSA-H44N - $52
    Power Supply: Coolermaster Extremepower 430W (3yrs wrty) - $69
    Mid-Tower ATX Casing: CoolerMaster Elite 330 - $59
    Operating System: MS Windows XP Pro OEM - $215

Total: $1883

Above prices from Fuwell pricelist dated 06 Apr 2007. Total price is before any system bundle purchase discount if applicable.

If possible to increase budget, upgrade PSU to Coolermaster iGreen 500W Active (3yrs wrty) - $160.
    Last edited by jervislim; 11th April 2007 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    why do you want it to be on an IDE channel?
    I think that the motherboard I picked only has two sata channels?

I'd rather put each hdd on a separate channel...

I think that the motherboard I picked only has two sata channels?

I'd rather put each hdd on a separate channel...
    then why not the 965P, im using asus, as far as i can remember it got 6 sata port + 1 eSata.
    I rather go for Sata for its higher spd???, lesser cable going around, easier to get HDD in future (i notice IDE hdd is getting lesser and lesser)
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 11th April 2007 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jervislim View Post
    HardDisks: Western Digital Rapter 36GB 10k rpm (5yrs wrty) as OS drive - $168
    In general I would get the 74GB raptor, 90 bucks more for a doubling in size and slightly better performance sounds good to me.

http://www.storagereview.com/article...500ADFD_9.html

Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB (5yrs wrty) as storage drive - $233
    Nono. Hitachi.

http://www.storagereview.com/php/ben...3=322&devCnt=4

Quieter, faster read/write generally, everything else about equal. $7 more.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    then why not the 965P, im using asus, as far as i can remember it got 6 sata port + 1 eSata.
    I rather go for Sata for its higher spd???, lesser cable going around, easier to get HDD in future (i notice IDE hdd is getting lesser and lesser)
    ooh. you're right. I hadn't realised that the 965p boards came with more than 4 channels. (erh. wait. assuming that the integrated controller supports the 6 ports. IF it's with the help of a non chip-set controller.. not so clear)

scratch my suggestion. (I think I also picked it on cost, but not a biggie.)

The only thing to note, then, would be that it's better to get a SATA optical drive as well - i've heard that using the IDE controller on 965p boards can cause problems.

I would recommend the same 965p board that jervislim suggested if you're getting a discrete graphics card, but for XP i still think it's unnecessary and you might as well get a board with buiilt-in graphics. You only want to get a separate graphics card if you plan on upgrading to vista at some point... (or if you want a DVI / HDCP port)
    Last edited by dnaxe; 11th April 2007 at 04:02 PM.

ooh. you're right. I hadn't realised that the 965p boards came with more than 4 channels.

scratch my suggestion. (I think I also picked it on cost, but not a biggie.)

The only thing to note, then, would be that it's better to get a SATA optical drive as well - i've heard that using the IDE controller on 965p boards can cause problems.

I would recommend the same 965p board that jervislim suggested.
    yup... IDE optical drive is problematic on 965 because of the d**n IDe controller... but I solved mine by using older firmware...

as for sata optical drive.. still pretty expensive for now

In general I would get the 74GB raptor, 90 bucks more for a doubling in size and slightly better performance sounds good to me.

http://www.storagereview.com/article...500ADFD_9.html
    If given more budget, I would have recommended 2x36GB Raptors ADFD in RAID0.

Of course, life is never so simple... gotto make compromise here and there. Hence, the suggested setup to suit TS budget and needs best if possible.

i love my core 2 duo chip... the fans run so much quieter than my previous pentium4.

im using the gigabyte board also. highly recommend it.

if TS can wait till Q3 this year (just a few months more). he actually can get a faster C2D processor with the same current price, as AMD should launch quad-core by that time. therefore, it will again a price war btw the two maker => current c2d will be cheaper..
    another news get from others that nvidia will launch a series of 8000 series graphic card soon, probably will have entry level to mid-range card, which give future-proof for Vista.
    lastly, i personally feel that the hardware don't need to be the highest end part. because sometime a little performance gain is hardly justify for the big hole get on the wallet. the pc will run on its best performance only when it is newly installed. the performance will gradually drop over period of time. so, TS should get the hardware which meets his requirement and save the money to invest on some other thing (eg. software, camera, lens, etc)

if need the PC now, just upgrade... can never stop waiting... there will always be price cuts and better stuff in the near future... in any case, there are now hints that AMDs new 4core chip may be announced around June but availability is only near end of 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter...

don't know about those raptors... don't think there will be that much of a boost unless you are working on files big enough that you run out of ram... or if getting Vista 64bit system, might as well get more RAM... Photoshop might not be able to access it, but Vista will make use of extra RAM and use it as a paging file... will definitely be faster than scratch on any HDD...

as for graphics card, can just get a 7300GS... should be good enough for any screen, even the big 30" ones as long as it is a card with dual link DVI sockets... reason for discrete graphics rather than integrated even though Photoshop doesn't use graphics card processing is that integrated graphics would tap into the main RAM... therefore less RAM for Photoshop...

Default Re: Recommendation for new PC - consider a Mac instead

I use PCs all the time (needing to run SQL Server, and play with programming tools)
    and recently purchased a mac with a slightly lower spec. - decided to find out why my buddies keep going on about the darn machine. When fishing around for a mac was surprised about the price of a laptop (much cheaper now) and....

....The mac is totallly sweet - way better than the PC version....and if you're talking about multimedia stuff - it kicks the PC in the face......

- my mac has come with a photo editing program built into the OS that can publish easily onto the web.

- playing with sound and music - get a mac - my mac came with a sounds editing app built into the OS and has been way easier to use than stuff I've got free
    - editing videos - get a mac - only felt like saying that - cause my buddy says its better but have not seen the prog yet.

I don't have proof on the website yet - as I am still learning (between writing lines of code and writing technical manuals and learning about web technologies) and being impressed by the mac power.

P.S. The core 2 duo chip is an energy eater

Default Have you cleaned yr machine?

By the way David - stupid question here - is your Dell only slow for one app or for all?

How long have you been using the machine and have you cleaned it up....perhaps even rebuilt it and then tested running the apps on it again?

Downside about PCs is the fragmentation, the garbage in registry, the garbage crashed programs leave, the services that get fired up when you don't need them due to apps being installed and never used.....easily get a virus since most people write viruses for PCs and M'soft products.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast