Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for new PC

Default Re: Recommendation for new PC

oh and overclocking is a great way to get more performance. processor speed has a direct effect on how fast ur pc pp. Boosting the processor speed by 5-10% should be easy even with a cheap motherboard and ram. If you want more than 10% then make sure you choose you motherboard and ram carefully as normally these are the limiting factor with a core 2 duo.

you can compare the prices here:
    http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/download.php

I got all the prices from Fuwell. A reputable computer store which sells at reasonably good prices.

How is this?

CPU + Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DS3 + Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 - $728
    RAM: PC 5300 Kingston DDR2 667 2X1GB - $164
    Hard Disk: Seagate 320GB - $138
    Graphic Card: XpertVision GF7600GT 256MB DDR3 - $189

Total is $1219

I would recommend getting a good power supply. Not too sure about LCD monitors. Anyone have recommendations?

Since most already suggested Intel's c2d, I suggest amd rig to you then. From SLS Fulwell pricelist dated 6th Apr:

Asus M2NPV-VM with x2 5000 65W EE at $486
    Kingston ddr2 533 4x1G $328
    CM 430W $69
    WD 160G $89
    CM Elite 330 casing $59
    LG DVD-RW $52
    XP MCE OEM $159
    =====================
    Total $1242

balance I would suggest that you get a NAS set up. Or you just fill the whole casing up with high capacity hdds and run a RAID5 or whatever your fancy.
    Last edited by cpuer; 10th April 2007 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpuer View Post
    Since most already suggested Intel's c2d, I suggest amd rig to you then. From SLS Fulwell pricelist dated 6th Apr:

Asus M2NPV-VM with x2 5000 at $486
    Kingston ddr2 533 4x1G $328
    CM 430W $69
    WD 160G $89
    CM Elite 330 casing $59
    LG DVD-RW $52
    XP MCE OEM $159
    =====================
    Total $1242

balance I would suggest that you get a NAS set up. Or you just fill the whole casing up with high capacity hdds and run a RAID5 or whatever your fancy.
    i wouldn't suggest AMD. my roommate's pc... (he's right behind me now)... is AMD based. Warms up the whole darned room, and the fan on the heatsink is noisy since day one. not recommended. Core2Duo runs fast and quiet. I'm not kidding you. if you're savin' money, get E6300 and bump it up to 3GHZ with 800mhz memory.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    Any motherboard that can take the intel e6600
    though acceptable, but u can save on money if you pick motherboards with less frills if possible. some boards are expensive for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    i wouldn't suggest AMD. my roommate's pc... (he's right behind me now)... is AMD based. Warms up the whole darned room, and the fan on the heatsink is noisy since day one. not recommended. Core2Duo runs fast and quiet. I'm not kidding you. if you're savin' money, get E6300 and bump it up to 3GHZ with 800mhz memory.
    May I know if your roommate's pc is an Athlon XP? The Athlon and the P4 Prescotts are hot potatoes. But since amd 64 came along, heat is no more an issue. amd also utilises the Cool n Quiet tech(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool'n'Quiet). So yes, the old "heatiness" is no more a concerns for both amd and intel(c2d).

BTW, I have corrected my suggestion by stating the cpu to get should be the 65W EE versions.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by David Chin View Post

Lastly, has anyone fully tested Windows Vista? Should I stick with XP Pro for the moment?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

David
    stick to xp sp2 for the time being. i have problems with my printer not being supported by vista at the moment, and sound card drivers are yet to mature. some older programs might have to be run in sp2 compatibility mode.

Quote Originally Posted by cpuer View Post
    May I know if your roommate's pc is an Athlon XP? The Athlon and the P4 Prescotts are hot potatoes. But since amd 64 came along, heat is no more an issue. amd also utilises the Cool n Quiet tech(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool'n'Quiet). So yes, the old "heatiness" is no more a concerns for both amd and intel(c2d).

BTW, I have corrected my suggestion by stating the cpu to get should be the 65W EE versions.

Cheers.
    he's using the 5000+. stock HSF.

he's using the 5000+. stock HSF.
    Not sure why he is facing this trouble. My experience with amds(post Athlon XP) were a very present one. No heat nor noise issue. I turn on CnQ though.

BTW, my personal rig is an e6300.
    Last edited by cpuer; 10th April 2007 at 09:44 PM.

i have 4 fans (3x120mm and 1xzalman fan for the video card), and they're even more quiet than his single cpu fan... reminds me of the 5~7K rpm HSFs a few years back.

i have 4 fans (3x120mm and 1xzalman fan for the video card), and they're even more quiet than his single cpu fan... reminds me of the 5~7K rpm HSFs a few years back.
    LOL, his rig need a serious relook.

anyone know what is the most basic graphic card that can support a 24" or 27" LCD monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by actionman View Post
    anyone know what is the most basic graphic card that can support a 24" or 27" LCD monitor?
    i think any 6000 series and above can support it. even some mobo with onboard graphic (stated by the manufacturer) to support HD too.

basically, a fast Core 2 Duo processor with 4 GB of CL4 667 DDR2 rams would serve your needs well. everything else is just frills.... GFX cards itself ain't critical at all unless you're doing heavy 3d rendering... which in that case, you'll require cards like quadro or firegl to make it perform.

if you're gonna run on vista 64-bit, you could go for a dual core system with 8GB of DDR2 CL4 667 rams
    Last edited by ReiszRie; 11th April 2007 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    oh and overclocking is a great way to get more performance. processor speed has a direct effect on how fast ur pc pp. Boosting the processor speed by 5-10% should be easy even with a cheap motherboard and ram. If you want more than 10% then make sure you choose you motherboard and ram carefully as normally these are the limiting factor with a core 2 duo.

you can compare the prices here:
    http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/download.php
    thats provided if the TS is tech savvy enough to handle over-clocking and being able to diagnose and solve overclocking related problems when it occurs... then again, if he's asking for suggestions on his rig, the TS probably isn't tech savvy enough to handle overclocking and therefore i would not suggest the TS to overclock as overclocking comes at the expense of reliability issues and reduced lifespan of your hardware.

Agreed. But a C2D 6600 will run great even without OCing. And I feel 8GB is overkill. Even 4GB seems a lot too. I feel 2GB of RAM is enough.

The Intel Core 2 Duo are said to be better than AMD as for now.

If you can, go for a Mac instead.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I now know what to get and will visit SLS this weekend to check things out and compare prices. I am not in a hurry though and I am thinking of DIY myself and since I will be in Taipei next week, I will check the prices here as well and if they are substantially cheaper, I will get them here. Prices of practically all the components should be cheaper here other than the CPU and HDD which are not made there. If any of you is interested in getting a motherboard, graphic card, RAM, mouse and keyboard etc. (anything that is made in Taiwan), do let me know and I will check for you.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    The Intel Core 2 Duo are said to be better than AMD as for now.

If you can, go for a Mac instead.
    Going the Mac route is out of the question as I am too heavily invested in Windows software including Photoshop, Capture NX and DXO.

PS runs better with x2 HDD instead of 1.
    So u may wanna consider.

Quote Originally Posted by firestone View Post
    PS runs better with x2 HDD instead of 1.
    So u may wanna consider.
    You mean having the software installed in C: and the file storage in D:.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast