Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 400D enquiry

Default Re: 400D enquiry

post removed.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Adelfin; 11th April 2007 at 11:46 AM.
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

Quote Originally Posted by Adelfin View Post
    Just for those who do not seem to understand what "GO READ YOUR MANUAL!" is...

(Chinese) 去阅读手册!
    (French) Aller lisent le manuel !
    (German) Gehen lesen das Handbuch!
    (Italian) Andare leggono il manuale!
    (Japanese) 読むマニュアルを行きなさい!
    (Korean) 읽는다 설명서를 가십시오!
    (Portugese) Ir lem o manual!
    (Russian) Перейти Прочесть Инструкция!
    (Spanish) Ir leen el manual!

sorry no Malay and Tamil...
    Translations provided by www.google.com
    if other people don't understand just give them a link to this post.
    Thank you.
    why must u be so sarcastic siah??? haiz. if u dun want to help, its alright...you can leave it to other CS bros to help me up...

i read the manuel but dun understand, as it said manuel exposure can set the shutter and aperture together...
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    why must u be so sarcastic siah??? haiz. if u dun want to help, its alright...you can leave it to other CS bros to help me up...

i read the manuel but dun understand, as it said manuel exposure can set the shutter and aperture together...
    I wasn't being sacarstic. it was just a matter-of-fact expression of how frustrated people can get if someone doesn't bother to do his homework and expects others to help him...

I realised ur qn was something u may not have understood after reading the manual, so I had already answered it HERE.

I wasn't being sacarstic. it was just a matter-of-fact expression of how frustrated people can get if someone doesn't bother to do his homework and expects others to help him...

I realised ur qn was something u may not have understood after reading the manual, so I had already answered it HERE.
    i know. i understand how u feel if i ever become experienced photographer...anyway i saw ur reply but yours its individual setting.
    tv-shutter
    av - aperture

i know. i understand how u feel if i ever become experienced photographer...anyway i saw ur reply but yours its individual setting.
    tv-shutter
    av - aperture
    read up the manual on full "M" mode... not Av/Tv...

Why are there still so many sarcastic ppl around in this forum? i really hope the admins can kill these sarcastic ppl.

anyway to the threadstarter, the first step u need to do if u want to change ur apeture and shutter speed at the same time is to switch it to manual mode.

manual mode: in manual mode, u point the camera at an object, then u determine the shutter speed and apeture and iso etc. to shoot the object.

apeture priority mode: In apeture priority mode (av mode), u turn the dial to set the apeture, thus the term apeture priority. The shutter speed etc. are all controlled by the camera.

shutter priority mode: In shutter priority mode (Tv mode), u turn the dial to set the shutter speed, thus the term shutter priority. The apeture etc. are all controlled by the camera.

program mode: In this mode, the camera will determine the shutter speed and apeture to use. What u will be controlling is the iso, white balance, exposure compensation etc.

Now comes the important question, what shutter speed, what apeture must i turn to shoot an object? how will i know the object is properly exposed?

To know if an object is properly exposed given ur shutter speed, apeture etc. settings, u need to know wat is METERING.

In very basic terms:
    Metering means to ensure that u properly expose ur scene. There are 3 kinds of mode (a) matrix metering (b) centre weighted (c) spot metering
    (a) matrix metering - normally used in landscape photography to properly expose the whole scene, the camera will determine the light across the whole picture and try to find the best setting to properly expose everything.

(b) centre weighted - normally used in portrait setting or other scenes where there is a main object that occupies abt 70% of the picture center. The camera will try to properly expose the 70% of that picture and "ignore" the background. So for example, if ur object is black and ur background is white, the camera will meter the black object, and will try to adjust itself to bring out the black object's details. In order to do so, it got to expose more. So wat u get is a properly exposed black object against a over exposed background. Remember the background is already white, and because of the need to expose more to bring out the black details, the white background will be overexposed.
    So i think u get wat i mean, the camera will only care abt the center 70%.

(c) spot metering - similar to the centre weighted metering, but just that in spot metering, we meter only a small spot eg. a 6mm diameter circle in the picture. This is used for example, when there is a small frog in a bright picture. if u use matrix metering, the camera will evaluate the whole scene and think that the whole picture is too bright, and hence under expose the picture to generate a proper exposure for the whole scene. But in doing so, the small frog may be further underexposed and become dark frog.
    in addition, if u use centre weighted metering, remember it assigns abt 70% to the center of the picture, but the frog is only very very small in the picture! hence the end result will also be the camera feels that the scene is too bright and underexpose.
    Thus in spot metering, u aim the center crosshair on the frog to meter the frog. This will ensure that the frog is properly exposed and be seen! but of course the background may not be properly exposed.

In apeture priority, shutter priority and program mode, u need to select ur desired metering style: (a) matrix metering (b) centre weighted (c) spot metering and then the camera will take care of the metering, thus u just concentrate on selecting the correct apeture, shutter speed or iso value/white balance to shoot ur photo.

But for manual mode:
    1) Switch ur camera to manual mode
    2) Select ur desired metering style: (a) matrix metering (b) centre weighted (c) spot metering
    3) if using spot metering or centre weighted metering, remember to point ur centre crosshair onto ur desired object.
    4) look into ur viewfinder and u will see a horizontal bar something like this + lllllll|llllll -
    5) what u got to do now, is to turn ur apeture dial or ur shutter dial to make sure that the horizontal bar is centered
    6) half press ur shutter release so that the exposure is locked i.e. even if u point at other places in ur scene, the metering wont change due to metering other objects.
    7) frame ur photo nicely and shoot.

Hope u understand all that i just typed..have fun
    Last edited by kcuf2; 10th April 2007 at 03:29 PM.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

tv-shutter
    av - aperture
    haha.. i'm not experienced... i'm just a noob who only started photography a very short while ago.. but i think even u know how it feels if someone buys a camera, plays around a few days, and finally ask u "how to change shutter speed ah?"...

anyway, with regards to ur qn i did reply with my first line. that u need a 30D to do it.. From the 30D onwards, there's a rear dial in place of the arrow buttons at the back. That controls the aperture, while the main dial controls shutter speed...

that's one of the reason's y i sold off my 350D.. some settings took too much time to change.. the other even have 4 buttons next to the shutter button to change everything from iso to exposure compensation, meaning u hardly ever need to access the menu when changing.. even selecting AF points is easier with a multi-controller (joystick)..

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    Why are there still so many sarcastic ppl around in this forum? i really hope the admins can kill these sarcastic ppl.

anyway to the threadstarter, the first step u need to do if u want to change ur apeture and shutter speed at the same time is to switch it to manual mode.

manual mode: in manual mode, u point the camera at an object, then u determine the shutter speed and apeture and iso etc. to shoot the object.

apeture priority mode: In apeture priority mode (av mode), u turn the dial to set the apeture, thus the term apeture priority. The shutter speed etc. are all controlled by the camera.

shutter priority mode: In shutter priority mode (Tv mode), u turn the dial to set the shutter speed, thus the term shutter priority. The apeture etc. are all controlled by the camera.

program mode: In this mode, the camera will determine the shutter speed and apeture to use. What u will be controlling is the iso, white balance, exposure compensation etc.

Now comes the important question, what shutter speed, what apeture must i turn to shoot an object? how will i know the object is properly exposed?

To know if an object is properly exposed given ur shutter speed, apeture etc. settings, u need to know wat is METERING.

In very basic terms:
    Metering means to ensure that u properly expose ur scene. There are 3 kinds of mode (a) matrix metering (b) centre weighted (c) spot metering
    (a) matrix metering - normally used in landscape photography to properly expose the whole scene, the camera will determine the light across the whole picture and try to find the best setting to properly expose everything.

(b) centre weighted - normally used in portrait setting or other scenes where there is a main object that occupies abt 70% of the picture center. The camera will try to properly expose the 70% of that picture and "ignore" the background. So for example, if ur object is black and ur background is white, the camera will meter the black object, and will try to adjust itself to bring out the black object's details. In order to do so, it got to expose more. So wat u get is a properly exposed black object against a over exposed background. Remember the background is already white, and because of the need to expose more to bring out the black details, the white background will be overexposed.
    So i think u get wat i mean, the camera will only care abt the center 70%.

(c) spot metering - similar to the centre weighted metering, but just that in spot metering, we meter only a small spot eg. a 6mm diameter circle in the picture. This is used for example, when there is a small frog in a bright picture. if u use matrix metering, the camera will evaluate the whole scene and think that the whole picture is too bright, and hence under expose the picture to generate a proper exposure for the whole scene. But in doing so, the small frog may be further underexposed and become dark frog.
    in addition, if u use centre weighted metering, remember it assigns abt 70% to the center of the picture, but the frog is only very very small in the picture! hence the end result will also be the camera feels that the scene is too bright and underexpose.
    Thus in spot metering, u aim the center crosshair on the frog to meter the frog. This will ensure that the frog is properly exposed and be seen! but of course the background may not be properly exposed.

In apeture priority, shutter priority and program mode, u need to select ur desired metering style: (a) matrix metering (b) centre weighted (c) spot metering and then the camera will take care of the metering, thus u just concentrate on selecting the correct apeture, shutter speed or iso value/white balance to shoot ur photo.

But for manual mode:
    1) Switch ur camera to manual mode
    2) Select ur desired metering style: (a) matrix metering (b) centre weighted (c) spot metering
    3) if using spot metering or centre weighted metering, remember to point ur centre crosshair onto ur desired object.
    4) look into ur viewfinder and u will see a horizontal bar something like this + lllllll|llllll -
    5) what u got to do now, is to turn ur apeture dial or ur shutter dial to make sure that the horizontal bar is centered
    6) half press ur shutter release so that the exposure is locked i.e. even if u point at other places in ur scene, the metering wont change due to metering other objects.
    7) frame ur photo nicely and shoot.

Hope u understand all that i just typed..have fun
    this thread is about 400D right? IIRC, 400D does not have spot metering. Instead, it has partial metering, which convers approximately 9% if the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    Just to explain once and for all.. i'm not directing it at anyone in particular.. all i'm saying is that people should read their manuals at least coz it does contain useful information. and reading it is faster than asking here and waiting for a response.. if they still don't understand, ask in the forums by all means...

I admit I'm a still a big noob when it comes to photography.. but i do try to help people if u actually read my posts.. just that i feel everyone should make an effort to learn rather than sit and wait for answers. if someone doesn't understand metering, or the limitations of certain modes, so be it - i'll try to help with what little i know.. but qns involving changing shutter speed in M/Tv modes or how to pop up flash etc. really shows how far someone is willing to go to learn his new hobby coz all these things are in the manual - the first thing they should be reading..

hope this clears things up...

Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    this thread is about 400D right? IIRC, 400D does not have spot metering. Instead, it has partial metering, which convers approximately 9% if the frame.
    correct, 400D dun have spot meter.. only partial, evaluative or centered weight avg meter..

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    correct, 400D dun have spot meter.. only partial, evaluative or centered weight avg meter..
    so whats that means?

so whats that means?
    Kcuf2 has a rather good description on metering. However, instead of measuring light from a spot as described in spot metering, 400D can only has partial metering, which measures 9% of the entire view. Refer to the manual on how to change the metering modes, and refer to the post on what each metering modes do.

For more information, refer to websites like this

so whats that means?
    it's like spot metering... except now it covers a larger area of 9% instead of 3.5% u'd see in the 30D or 5D, the 2.5% in Nikon cameras...

in practical usage, it means partial isn't as effective if u want to meter a small part of your whole composition. For example, let's say u want to meter a small face in the whole picture, to ensure that the face is exposed properly. In spot metering, it's easier to do so coz the spot will most likely cover the face and nothing else. In partial, because the circle is now bigger, u might add in parts of really bright or dark backgrounds that can affect the metering, and expose ur subject wrongly...

If, however, u want to meter a slightly bigger area then both will work fine..

so whats that means?
    400D do not spot metering function. only the 30D series and above series have that function..

it's like spot metering... except now it covers a larger area of 9% instead of 3.5% u'd see in the 30D or 5D, the 2.5% in Nikon cameras...

in practical usage, it means partial isn't as effective if u want to meter a small part of your whole composition. For example, let's say u want to meter a small face in the whole picture, to ensure that the face is exposed properly. In spot metering, it's easier to do so coz the spot will most likely cover the face and nothing else. In partial, because the circle is now bigger, u might add in parts of really bright or dark backgrounds that can affect the metering, and expose ur subject wrongly...

If, however, u want to meter a slightly bigger area then both will work fine..
    correct~~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12