Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why the need for list of equipment they own on some members signature?

What we have here is the proponents of equipment in the sig/tag line as being to let potential and other photographers know what gear they used, rather than my and others contention that it's pretentious wankery and posing.

For the proponents; Explain to me how a typical sig/tag of say the following is helpful to a brand new user who knows nothing about photography.

-------------
    Canon D30 / waiting for 1DS
    28-70 f2.8 USM L
    70-200 f2.8 USM L
    550 EX Speedlite
    B+W CPL
    Hoya Skylight
    Hoya Crosscreen
    Manfrotto 190B
    Manfrotto 160 WOB

Now to a newbie they aren't going to have a clue about lens focal lengths, or what a polarizer does or a skylight, let alone what the hell a 160 WOB is or a 70-200 USM L. So it's that much garbage to them .. and in case your wondering just look at the number of posts over the last year asking the most basic questions like what's a polarizer and how do I use it? Which lens is better etc.

Secondly since the sig/tag doesn't state implicitly what gear was used to take the photo on display, all that's being done is simply passing out extraneous and irrelevant information that is not required as well as chewing up bandwidth.

Finally .. be honest .. it's wankery guys and stop trying to justify it as anything else
    Last edited by Ian; 14th March 2003 at 04:57 AM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

By the way the equipment list should be captured in the user profile rather than in the signature. (Maybe the profile section can be modified to allow a bigger space for members to list their equipment if they want to).

That way, if someone is really interested in the equipment used by any other user all he/she have to do is to look at the profile. This also makes it an information-on-demand basis instead of blasting the same data in every post to everyone.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

even though the thread has been done b4... i guess most ppl forgotten abt it.... anyway at present i am not good enough to put my camera details at the signature... :P

good for u, autumn... nice to see a modest guy for a change here...

but i believe afew here do think that they are "good enough" once they own an F5 or 1D
    web | blog | fb | ig

Any camera is capable of taking great picures; it just needs a great photographer...

why care? If u are interested in it, u read it. If not, just scroll down.

We don't have to agree or disagree with one's signature, it is their right to list/write whatever they want, as long as it is not rude or sensitive.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by roygoh
    By the way the equipment list should be captured in the user profile rather than in the signature. (Maybe the profile section can be modified to allow a bigger space for members to list their equipment if they want to).

That way, if someone is really interested in the equipment used by any other user all he/she have to do is to look at the profile. This also makes it an information-on-demand basis instead of blasting the same data in every post to everyone.
    Good suggestion.

yep, i agree! personally i find this practice typically singaporean and abhorrent but whats the world without a bit of diversity? if people want to wear their underwear on the outside, let them be. let each person seek their own form of self gratification and lets have some tolerance here....

btw, maybe this thread should be moved to kopitiam?

Originally posted by GitS
    btw, maybe this thread should be moved to kopitiam?
    The trash bin is more appropriate. It's like digging up old news again and again.

Originally posted by togu
    The trash bin is more appropriate. It's like digging up old news again and again.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Well, after seeing all these fierce argument lead me to think abt it.

Well, there are people who post the range of equipment they use, they own, etc juz for the sheer wankery of it all. Something like, "U see! I have dis! U dun have! Boo-boo... Nyak-nyak-nyak". Think of it like an Arms Race.

However, some post up their equipment and cameras with the genuine thought of letting ppl know abt the equipment they own and wad do they use to take the photo so dat the person need not ask the same question dat had been asked to death, "Wad telephoto lens u use har?"

Some have this 'thing' of putting up their equipment they own, putting up medicore shots so dat ppl who wun go "WOW!" over their photos would at least say "WOW!" over their equipment. Typical human behaviour (not necessarily confined to that of Singaporeans).

Den again, there's no pure altruism in this world. We all do things for a hidden motive (conscious or unconscious motive). Wadever the reason is, even if it's sheer hypocriticism, the person would probably know it best him/herself.

No hard feelings bros

Originally posted by jsbn
    Well, after seeing all these fierce argument lead me to think abt it.

Well, there are people who post the range of equipment they use, they own, etc juz for the sheer wankery of it all. Something like, "U see! I have dis! U dun have! Boo-boo... Nyak-nyak-nyak". Think of it like an Arms Race.

However, some post up their equipment and cameras with the genuine thought of letting ppl know abt the equipment they own and wad do they use to take the photo so dat the person need not ask the same question dat had been asked to death, "Wad telephoto lens u use har?"

Some have this 'thing' of putting up their equipment they own, putting up medicore shots so dat ppl who wun go "WOW!" over their photos would at least say "WOW!" over their equipment. Typical human behaviour (not necessarily confined to that of Singaporeans).

Den again, there's no pure altruism in this world. We all do things for a hidden motive (conscious or unconscious motive). Wadever the reason is, even if it's sheer hypocriticism, the person would probably know it best him/herself.

No hard feelings bros
    * togu clap clap clap

That's a fair and logical view.

I put up my equipment list in my signature too, nothing much to show off when compare to those monsters like Ian, Jed, zip, Jeffgoh, dagger etc. Whatever reason it's for, to be very frank, it's individual's preference. After all, it's a photography club, shouldn't we be spending time on shooting instead?

If only someone would start up a thread "Why some rather spend their time on analyzing other's signature then taking photos". Studying mankind's thinking is definitely a much more interesting topic then signatures.
    Last edited by togu; 15th March 2003 at 02:17 PM.

would there be someone who uses the signature just to keep track of the equipment he has?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Default Be careful....on listing things in here

Hi Everyone,

Just be forewarned that tis actually risky to list items you own on the net. Especially in bulletins like this. The lists may be used by some jerks to use as a "ransack list". Here is an example that have happened to a friend of mine.

here it goes..

My course mates laptop and ALL accesories that are related to her laptop was RANSACKED from her home in Brisbane when she was attending lecture. She did post the list of items on the net in a bulletin board before - as usual sharing spec with friends. The funniest thing is she have all her accesories tucked all around her home not all in her laptop bag. BUT the burglar took the pains to look ALL items. Hence the risk of such listings.

One more thing........Its agood practice to JOT down all you equipment serial number and IF you really love it...(yeah sure!) go and get it engraved with your initials.....

Just a story to share....

Regards,
    me

* togu clap clap clap

That's a fair and logical view.

I put up my equipment list in my signature too, nothing much to show off when compare to those monsters like Ian, Jed, zip, Jeffgoh, dagger etc. Whatever reason it's for, to be very frank, it's individual's preference. After all, it's a photography club, shouldn't we be spending time on shooting instead?

I agree.

Seriously speaking, whatever the case is, this is after all, a Photography Club for the Photography Enthusiast. We all gather here, comment on each other's photos, give tips on improving the next shot and so on.

I bet 1/2 of the guys here dun really bother abt other ppl's signature and the equipment they own. The most important thing is the criticism dat brings out the photographer in all of us, not juz silly one-liners dat'll prolly say, "Go get a decent photo unless u wanna get flamed."

If only someone would start up a thread "Why some rather spend their time on analyzing other's signature then taking photos". Studying mankind's thinking is definitely a much more interesting topic then signatures.
    Studying mankind's thinking (aka Psychology) is great fun when u learn the process of dissecting other ppl's thinking as well as yur own thoughts. However, in the process of dissection, there are always words said which other ppl do not like to hear (who likes to listen bad things abt themselves anyway? We are all in a constant state of self-denial) and instead of a to help better improve their lifes, we'll get a for saying things dat they do not like to hear (even though it's solid facts).

Most of the time Psychologists and Psychologists-in-training get brickbats for dissecting other ppl's thoughts in private or in public.

Default Re: Be careful....on listing things in here

Originally posted by sulhan
    One more thing........Its agood practice to JOT down all you equipment serial number and IF you really love it...(yeah sure!) go and get it engraved with your initials.....

Just a story to share....

Regards,
    me
    Hmm... I believe dat u'll have the Customer's portion of the warranty card wif the serial numbers and all that?

Of cos, I'd dearly like to engrave my initials onto my Digital Cam (since it's the 1st one. It has some sentimental value). But wouldn't the laser engraver damage the innards of the digital cam or wad?

If I had a 1D, I would rather tell people I took the picture with an IXUS so that they can go wow at my skill rather than my equipment.

[BI put up my equipment list in my signature too, nothing much to show off when compare to those monsters like Ian, Jed, zip, Jeffgoh, dagger etc. [/B]

*me Togu

Since when i got monsters?? Dun anyhow say leh

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    If I had a 1D, I would rather tell people I took the picture with an IXUS so that they can go wow at my skill rather than my equipment.
    I was considering putting "Kodak Disposable Camera" in my signature....if the photo is not good, I can blame it on the "camera" I did not use, and if the photo is well received by CS members, then they will be impressed that I took the picture with a disposable cam...
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast