Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much RAM??

Default Re: How much RAM??

Tom's Hardwar Guide has an interesting writeup comparing how 512 MB and 2GB RAMs performance when they are going through their paces in WinXP environment; software used in the test included Doom 3, Quake 4 and Battlefield 2. Some of us might find the conclusion incredible.

Hi guys,

I had 2 1GB rams and I would like to ask how should i place them? Do I place both 1 GB rams at channel A or separate them 1 each at channel A & B ? I also have a 512, so would like to add it into the system too

Hope to hear form you guys soon

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoney View Post
    Hi guys,

I had 2 1GB rams and I would like to ask how should i place them? Do I place both 1 GB rams at channel A or separate them 1 each at channel A & B ? I also have a 512, so would like to add it into the system too

if same speed, put both at same channel for dual channel to work.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoney View Post
    Hi guys,

As I had already told you on the phone, both sticks of RAM on the same channel. In the meantime, forget about your 512MB. Wait until you got your second stick of 512.

2 gig is a good number. big performance increase from 1 gig. but going from 2 to 3 or 4 gig, the performance is more marginal.. as someone noted, even with 4 gig windows XP cannot recognise all4 gigs.

Similar question.....I'm using 2 X 512mb now, I'm thinking to buy another 1gb since the price has been droped. In order to maximise the performance, shoud I buy 1 X 1gb or 2 X 512mb? Should be 2 X 512mb for another channel, right?

4GB is best when running CS2

thats what i learnt when doing basic editing with layers with tiff image.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    if same speed, put both at same channel for dual channel to work.
    For dual channel to work, you have to put 1 piece in each channel not both in the same channel.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    For dual channel to work, you have to put 1 piece in each channel not both in the same channel.
    I think what the others say is correct, 2 in the same channel or rather matching banks of the same channel

refer to this

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    there's never enuff. buy buy buy!!!
    Haha I agree! RAM is never enough...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    I think what the others say is correct, 2 in the same channel or rather matching banks of the same channel

refer to this
    You might want to read the article one more time.

..... Dual channel-enabled memory controllers utilize two 64-bit data channels ....
    To put it in layman term, if you want to use Dual channel, if you have 2 pieces of RAM, you will need to put 1 piece in each colored slot not both in the same colored slots.
    See this under "DIMM Module Combination" for sample combination.

The word Dual Channel would have indicate that the memory need to be in 2 different channels for it to work and not on a single channel.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

You might want to read the article one more time.
    my bad...brain not working... what I was thinking was matched bank, not same channel...

To put it in layman term, if you want to use Dual channel, if you have 2 pieces of RAM, you will need to put 1 piece in each colored slot not both in the same colored slots.
    See this under "DIMM Module Combination" for sample combination.

The word Dual Channel would have indicate that the memory need to be in 2 different channels for it to work and not on a single channel.
    but actually the colour thing depends on manufacturer... for MSI, it seems that you need to plug into different colour, which is a bit confusing really, but for others like Gigabyte, you need to install them in the same colour... so please check the motherboard manual before installation...

Quote Originally Posted by highspeed View Post
    Similar question.....I'm using 2 X 512mb now, I'm thinking to buy another 1gb since the price has been droped. In order to maximise the performance, shoud I buy 1 X 1gb or 2 X 512mb? Should be 2 X 512mb for another channel, right?
    I added 1 x 1gb to my existing 2x512mb..RAM prices are dropping to $60+...might drop to 50+ in the coming week..

Why 4GB is better for CS2? Do you mean it will run less effectively below 4GB RAM?
    What about CS3?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12