Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    sg - bukit ho swee
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Given all cost around 350US$... which one would you recommend?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Using Markins. First BH I've got, but I'm very pleased with it thus far. Very precise and well-built.
    A camera cannot teach you how to see.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    I'll be getting the RRS BH-40.. i liked their lever clamp design, and buying it separately to mount on a different ballhead would cost too much.. the design of the knobs are also much easier to use imo... I'm also getting the L-plate on the way so it's like a one-stop solution for me..

    But it's pretty short, so if you have a tripod mount that's very wide u'll have problems using it in the vertical position...
    Last edited by Adelfin; 8th April 2007 at 03:49 PM.
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Im using the markins M10. No complaints so far. light, compact and very well built. easily takes up to a sigma 120-300f2.8

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    sg - bukit ho swee
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    ok. point taken. tks!!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    My M10 takes my D200 with Batt grip (loaded with 2 batts) together with my Nikkor 80-200mm F2.8 with no problem at all. I'm using the baseplate on the battery grip. Not the tripod collar.
    A camera cannot teach you how to see.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    I use the Arca Swiss B1, and it has been a joy (on the rare occassions I use it). The Z1SP seems to be a newer better model. No idea on the RSS or Markin.

    On the Hassy, which I know you own too, I have to use both the Hassy tripod quick coupling plate + Wimberley P-5 plate (Arca Swiss compatible) to be able to use on the Arca Swiss.

    Quote Originally Posted by boochap View Post
    Given all cost around 350US$... which one would you recommend?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    sg - bukit ho swee
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Quote Originally Posted by clubgrit View Post
    I use the Arca Swiss B1, and it has been a joy (on the rare occassions I use it). The Z1SP seems to be a newer better model. No idea on the RSS or Markin.

    On the Hassy, which I know you own too, I have to use both the Hassy tripod quick coupling plate + Wimberley P-5 plate (Arca Swiss compatible) to be able to use on the Arca Swiss.
    i used to have a Wimberley plate and cramp on a Gtzo ballhead, then sold the Gitzo bought a 50$ small Giottos ballhead.

    Gitzo ballhead was as lousy as this Giottos, but Giottos is light and cheap.. so cannot complain too much, lightness is always good for traveling. I use that 200+$ wimberly plate and cramp on the cheap Giotto.. what a joke?! It was was damaged during my recent backpacking trip. Hassy on a small and cheap ballhead can be very frustrating esp with close focus... so.. decided, and lesson learnt, better invest in a good ballhead.
    Last edited by boochap; 10th April 2007 at 09:37 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    I bought the Giottos, almost $200. Big regret, shouldn't have believed the specs and the salesman, sold it few days later cheap and got the Arca Swiss. So we both learned a lesson

    Thinking back, I should have bought the biggest Arca Swiss ... ... but then, I hardly use it ...

    Quote Originally Posted by boochap View Post
    i used to have a Wimberley plate and cramp on a Gtzo ballhead, then sold the Gitzo bought a 50$ small Giottos ballhead.

    Gitzo ballhead was as lousy as this Giottos, but Giottos is light and cheap.. so cannot complain too much, lightness is always good for traveling. I use that 200+$ wimberly plate and cramp on the cheap Giotto.. what a joke?! It was was damaged during my recent backpacking trip. Hassy on a small and cheap ballhead can be very frustrating esp with close focus... so.. decided, and lesson learnt, better invest in a good ballhead.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    go for the Markins... lots of good reviews on that brand...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    if u have a hassy, i don't think u would use the RRS BH-40... RRS doesn't even reccommend it.. u're better off with the arca swiss or markins..
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

  12. #12

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    I bought a Markins M10, loaded it with a D200, grip with 2 batts, 70-200mm VR + 1.7 TCII, SB-800 with 5 2700mAh Batts, angled 45° and it locked stable without any noticable slag! IMO!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    sg - bukit ho swee
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Gitzo ballhead sux.. despite the big Gitzo name... hahahaa.


    Then Arca Swiss z1 single pan or double pan.. which one better.. another 200+$ more, worth the money?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Really Right Stuff should be the right one, really. Good stuff.

    I'm really happy with my old AS B1 but I've heard quality complaints about the newer B1. Not sure about the Z1 but it sure looks good. Do consider KR too.
    Last edited by An drew; 17th April 2007 at 06:40 PM.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    sg - bukit ho swee
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Really Right Stuff should be the right one, really. Good stuff.

    I'm really happy with my old AS B1 but I've heard quality complaints about the newer B1. Not sure about the Z1 but it sure looks good. Do consider KR too.
    Aahhh.. have place my order for the z1 327usd from b&h.. thanks to all.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Hacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    4,239

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Quote Originally Posted by boochap View Post
    Aahhh.. have place my order for the z1 327usd from b&h.. thanks to all.
    You will definitely not regret. Am using the Arca Swiss Z1 with Quick Release. I mate it with the Kirk tripod base (less the center column and damps vibration) and the Gitzo GT2530 with RRS L plate bracket and lens plates. Tripod to head ratio is almost perfect. I would say that I have seen nothing better in this range. May add some spikes to convert it to a Super Gitzo.

    For heavier rigs, RRS BH-55 and the Gitzo 3530S.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Quote Originally Posted by boochap View Post
    Aahhh.. have place my order for the z1 327usd from b&h.. thanks to all.
    Good choice too...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Hi, I'm considering the Arca Swiss Z1 too. Is it not available locally in Singapore and therefore you have to order from B&H?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    sg - bukit ho swee
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    Quote Originally Posted by kutu67 View Post
    Hi, I'm considering the Arca Swiss Z1 too. Is it not available locally in Singapore and therefore you have to order from B&H?
    CP said they going to bring it in selling at 800+$ this May.. this shld be z1 dp, i guess, else it would be too ex$ for sp. u dun really like that atitude of those CP sales ppl, as much as i can afford, i go buy online or ebay.

    if u work out the $, CP tend to price their stuff at slightly lower than the price u you would have paid if u had bought it online + freight. so their profit include bulk retail price + your freight!!

    B&H z1 sp is here... better buy now, while SGD is strongest.. good luck
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
    Last edited by boochap; 25th April 2007 at 09:33 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Ballhead - Arca Swiss Z1sp vs RSS BH40 vs Markins M10

    I got the Arca Swiss Z1 sp from cathay for $8** in March. Actually I bought the last set. I guess the set they will be bringing in the the sp not dp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •