View Poll Results: Freelance: Solo vs Group?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Solo (Lone ranger)

17 68.00%
  • Group (Double teaming/Multiple

6 24.00%
  • Simi si Freelance?

2 8.00%

Thread: Freelance: Solo vs Group?

Default Freelance: Solo vs Group?

Just curious in finding out whether going freelance solo or group is more popular nowadays. :P

why leh? Got business plan huh??????

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    why leh? Got business plan huh??????
    u got ah? :P

naaaaaaaaaaa still working for other people

freelance is difficult to do as a group IMHO... mabbe with one other person if you know that person's working and photog style well.

personally i prefer to work alone. that way i screw up its my own fault hahahah

Originally posted by Larry
    freelance is difficult to do as a group IMHO... mabbe with one other person if you know that person's working and photog style well.

personally i prefer to work alone. that way i screw up its my own fault hahahah
    pros and cons Larry. Solo: con is that if u suddenly cannot make it for ur assignment, no one to help cover u esp one who is of the same style as urself last minute ;P

Group: con can be messy if there are relatively little assignments to go around

But if you work alone & if you are unable to do the job - can pass the job to another photographer friend & just get a cut off it. Larry, if I am not wrong, I think you'd rather do it this way?

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    But if you work alone & if you are unable to do the job - can pass the job to another photographer friend & just get a cut off it. Larry, if I am not wrong, I think you'd rather do it this way?
    right on! i've passed on several assignments this way. but usually i don't ask/get a cut, just that if the other guy has future assignments, pass to me as well. works both ways - you scratch my back i scratch yours.

Originally posted by Larry
    right on! i've passed on several assignments this way. but usually i don't ask/get a cut, just that if the other guy has future assignments, pass to me as well. works both ways - you scratch my back i scratch yours.
    Ah that's another way of looking at it

I haven't the foggiest of how to freelance in a group... heheh... anyway I am way way way off that level... still got ultra many thibngs to learn

I'll sometimes team up with another professional if it's for a stock photography shoot but most of the time it's me and me alone (with my PA of course who can double as a second photograper if needed).

When fun shooting I prefer small groups 2-4 people as it's less chaotic and more fun.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Agree with Larry here well. Neko also on the pros and cons of both.

From the human factor point of view, a group or duo may be hard to work on long run, but there are also exceptions. You see, people can change through time, we also have consider fairness, what one another thinks of the others, etc. Even family members can also have disputes. You can also take some of those pop groups/celebrity groups in the past that have gotten together, broken up and gotten back together again.

Personnally, if you feel you team well as group do go ahead and communicate as communication can kill everyone easily if there is no good understanding of anything that the group is doing. And if someone senses something not going in the right direction, all must be ready to take it up directly and not just hide and forget about. Through time, all these little not so happy things can lead to disaster.

Remember if in a group...
    Communicate!..Communicate!..Communicate! 90% of management is Communication.
    Work in harmony,
    bear no grudges!
    All are even.
    Delegation is important.
    All must accept and know one another's strengths and weaknesses.
    Admit ones fault if it is and then resolve it and no blaming.
    No story of 'somebody should have done it, whilst anybody could have done it, thinking that somebody has done it but nobody has done it...'
    Be honest with one and all....
    etc,

Hope am not confusing you all.

Just my 2cts worth.

Originally posted by Ian
    I'll sometimes team up with another professional if it's for a stock photography shoot but most of the time it's me and me alone (with my PA of course who can double as a second photograper if needed).

When fun shooting I prefer small groups 2-4 people as it's less chaotic and more fun.
    What is a PA?

Cheers.

Originally posted by suhaimig
    What is a PA?

Cheers.
    Photographic Assistant?

yupper

well let's all scratch each other's back

afterall s'pore only so big

Originally posted by Dagger
    Agree with Larry here well. Neko also on the pros and cons of both.

From the human factor point of view, a group or duo may be hard to work on long run, but there are also exceptions. You see, people can change through time, we also have consider fairness, what one another thinks of the others, etc. Even family members can also have disputes. You can also take some of those pop groups/celebrity groups in the past that have gotten together, broken up and gotten back together again.

Personnally, if you feel you team well as group do go ahead and communicate as communication can kill everyone easily if there is no good understanding of anything that the group is doing. And if someone senses something not going in the right direction, all must be ready to take it up directly and not just hide and forget about. Through time, all these little not so happy things can lead to disaster.

Remember if in a group...
    Communicate!..Communicate!..Communicate! 90% of management is Communication.
    Work in harmony,
    bear no grudges!
    All are even.
    Delegation is important.
    All must accept and know one another's strengths and weaknesses.
    Admit ones fault if it is and then resolve it and no blaming.
    No story of 'somebody should have done it, whilst anybody could have done it, thinking that somebody has done it but nobody has done it...'
    Be honest with one and all....
    etc,

Hope am not confusing you all.

Just my 2cts worth.
    Well said Dagger.

I should have said all that, but I have not.... hehe..

Cheers,
    Camera with no built-in flash, some lenses, some Lights.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentiumpc/

Originally posted by PentiumPC
    Well said Dagger.

I should have said all that, but I have not.... hehe..

Cheers,
    Thanks PPC.