Thread: Is this the vignetting effect ?

Default Is this the vignetting effect ?

hi all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN9xl...elated&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oHng...elated&search=

i was surfing youtube from one of the given links in kopitiam. and i find this 2 production's processing very very good.

if you were to look at the few short scenes, with the smooth gradation of blues to blacks on the top, is it the vignetting effect that they used to create such and effect ?

isnt vignetting creating "dark circles/ovals" on the edges ? since its black, so how is it done to acheive that gradation shown on the show ? in photoshop i mean.

i seriously thank all those who will answer my question.

Default Re: is this the vignetting effect ?

technically, optical vignetting that you see naturally resulting from lenses that vignette should form a circle of shading... vignetting occurs when there is less light available near the edge of the lens so the image produced from those areas are darker... it is thus logical that this area of graduated darkening should follow the shape of the lens cross section, a circle...
    of course, in a rectangular image, you will only see some of the vignetting, and it might not form a continuous frame around the image...

the oval ones you see in the video are most probably created in post production...

what you can do in photoshop to create vignetting is to make a circular (or oval if you prefer) selection the width of your image, feather the selection by say 100px (depending on the size of your image)... expand the selection till the edges touch the long sides of the image... inverse the selection... and then fill the selection with black onto a new layer... then play with the opacity of the layer to get the desired amount of graduated darkening...

there are other ways to do this, so feel free to try out

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    technically, optical vignetting that you see naturally resulting from lenses that vignette should form a circle of shading... vignetting occurs when there is less light available near the edge of the lens so the image produced from those areas are darker... it is thus logical that this area of graduated darkening should follow the shape of the lens cross section, a circle...
    of course, in a rectangular image, you will only see some of the vignetting, and it might not form a continuous frame around the image...

the oval ones you see in the video are most probably created in post production...

what you can do in photoshop to create vignetting is to make a circular (or oval if you prefer) selection the width of your image, feather the selection by say 100px (depending on the size of your image)... expand the selection till the edges touch the long sides of the image... inverse the selection... and then fill the selection with black onto a new layer... then play with the opacity of the layer to get the desired amount of graduated darkening...

there are other ways to do this, so feel free to try out
    Thanks therbk,

i will try this out now.... so its not some yayapapaya effect that makes the sky so good looking with the gradated tones huh ?

Quote Originally Posted by xziredmp View Post
    i will try this out now.... so its not some yayapapaya effect that makes the sky so good looking with the gradated tones huh ?
    it can be... from the basic skills, experiment with different ways of using them and you will find new tricks to add to your collection