Thread: macro shots

Default macro shots

hi, just want to check out with macro experts here one thing.
    generally, what is the slowest shutter speeds that you will use for macro shots?
    Thanks..

Default Re: macro shots

largely depends on ur subject matter and the lighting conditions.
    maybe u can state those down?
    aperture would be more of a factor and not the shutter speed.

If there is no wind and object is very still, you can shoot as slow as possible. Remember to use tripod and shutter release cable.
    Last edited by megaweb; 6th April 2007 at 08:50 PM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

i mean if you have tried macro shots before you will understand that slight movement will cos
    1. hand shake blur
    2. wrong focus point.

what i am refering to is 1.
    i know hand shake blur depends on individuals but in general the rule is like 1/focal length. but that doesnt apply in macro photography! thats why i am now asking from experts some advice that they can give me in regards to taking clear and sharp macro shots without hand shake blur. i think i have make myself very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by chjing View Post
    i mean if you have tried macro shots before you will understand that slight movement will cos
    1. hand shake blur
    2. wrong focus point.

what i am refering to is 1.
    i know hand shake blur depends on individuals but in general the rule is like 1/focal length. but that doesnt apply in macro photography! thats why i am now asking from experts some advice that they can give me in regards to taking clear and sharp macro shots without hand shake blur. i think i have make myself very clear.
    No rule but you can test it yourself at home. Try different shutter speed to see your own capability to achieve sharp quality. As for me, handheld with elbow on my knee support, I need 1/125sec for my 100mm for macro shots. Wrong focus point ? Try manual focus and move your setup to focus the object.

A tripod helps alot with the Low shutterspeed in macro...

thanks megaweb.

sorry to all. i din make myself clear. what i am refering was .......no tripod nor flash....

not sure, but slowest i done is about 1/30(with support on rail) with 2x TC + 28-75 @ 75mm... total magnification is about 1:1.85 effectively.

Below is my skipper shot taken by 20D, 100mm macro on tripod with focusing rail.

http://www.pbase.com/megaweb/image/28113601

Shutter speed: 1/5 sec
    Aperture: 10
    ISO: 100