Thread: Singnet email system infected by worm?

Default Singnet email system infected by worm?

Guys be careful. Just got a return email from the Singnet postmaster saying that I tried to send an email containing a virus to someone. I didn't. The worm/virus seems to be able to spoof your email address.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

I don't think it's the singnet mail system. You probably have something on your PC.

Originally posted by Silverelf
    I don't think it's the singnet mail system. You probably have something on your PC.
    I received that b4 as well. I believe it's not the user's pc. Like what mpenza said, I also think "the worm/virus seems to be able to spoof your email address".

i think it is the user computer.
    exp it b4
    update yur anti virus and do a through scan

Yes. Unless someone knows better as I am definitely not an authority on PC virus....

You may be overly optimistic when you think the worm resides on singnet. It could jolly well be on your system, so why think that it could be anywhere else?? That is even more dangerous.

I have received many of this mails before and even had people emailing me back and acolding me very vulgar stuff.... Some taiwanese guy who obviously thought I was a nitwit. I was so insulted I wanted to write him back but thought better of it.

These mails are infrequent now

xlurker
    Guests

Used to come across these, and if i recall correctly this is what happens....

The worm probably resides in someone else's computer who has your email address.

What happens is that these worms were made to send emails to others, using email addresses found within that infected computer. The worm also selects one of the emails for the sender's address, thus making it appear as though the virus came from someone else.

Thus when the mail is not delivered successfully it gets returned to the supposed sender, and confusing everyone. Mail receipient thinks the supposed sender was emailing rubbish, and the person with the infected machine doesnt even have the slightest idea on what has happened.

An example would be the klez virus and their variants. You can read more about them here

So IMHO just ignore that postmaster's email.

Originally posted by xlurker
    Used to come across these, and if i recall correctly this is what happens....

The worm probably resides in someone else's computer who has your email address.

What happens is that these worms were made to send emails to others, using email addresses found within that infected computer. The worm also selects one of the emails for the sender's address, thus making it appear as though the virus came from someone else.

Thus when the mail is not delivered successfully it gets returned to the supposed sender, and confusing everyone. Mail receipient thinks the supposed sender was emailing rubbish, and the person with the infected machine doesnt even have the slightest idea on what has happened.

An example would be the klez virus and their variants. You can read more about them here

So IMHO just ignore that postmaster's email.
    Yes....xlurker is right and this virus attack isn't a joke. happened to me last month and no choice i need to clean up my whole hard-disk and reload everything again...painful and time wasted.
    i believes and suspects those virus comes from those bulk mails. so now i don't use outlook express to get my mail....i log in to singnet webby to check it......bulk mail can just delete off without opening it. .....safer.

Originally posted by zekai
    i think it is the user computer.
    exp it b4
    update yur anti virus and do a through scan
    My NAV is always updated thru LiveUpdate; also got a firewall on.

Originally posted by xlurker

Yes, I believe I read abt this b4 as well that's y I'm pretty certain that the virus is not from my com.