Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: Stupid Photographers...

Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

digital photogrpaher has high start up cost and required periodic capital investment but low operating cost ... film lower start up cost and no periodic capital investment needed, but high to very high operating cost.

from the point of view of a businessman, I rather higher operating cost but lower capital investment. when business is slow, I dont have to service dead debt.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

That's true from a businessman's point of view. But most clients will not want to incur high operating cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriabinesque View Post
    That's true from a businessman's point of view. But most clients will not want to incur high operating cost.
    From the standpoint of a photographer/businessman, I still have to amortise and payback capital investment and reserve for future required capital investment. A business will have to factor in these cost in their pricing. If clients refuse to bare their fair share of the cost, who should do it?

What I am seeing in Signapore, the many photogrpahers are looking only at the variable cost/operating cost and forgot that they have to earn enough to cover the cost of their equipment, and have sufficient to cover capital investment that is around the corner.

Waht will happen in Singapore is, lot's of people's personal savings will be sunked to support the industry. Said isn't it.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

wah i dun mind doing for free!
    world wide exposure leh lolz
    those interested can pm me

Quote Originally Posted by shootaid View Post
    Sad to say, this is what I have been talking about. Clients are making a ' SUCKER ' on of us.
    If we continue to UNDER-CUT one another, we'll lose out professionalism. We'll be another PRODUCTION operator.

As a New/Amat/Pro photographer, we should come to an verbal agreement and market ourselve at a certain price. The price should not fall below a certain market rate. That leaves the Clients no chance of SQUEEZING us.

We can then market our CREATIVE rather than have a price war among ourselves. Because if not in the end of the day, Clients will be LAUGHING to the bank, and we will ALL SUFFER. (example: one of our bro has given up photography to be in trading business).

Please rethink about taking up a project that pays CHEAP. There are many clients out there who will take advantage of Newbies or Beginners. Because for 30 pix it will take about a day to shoot or more. Some gave excuses like I'm start out and need portfolio etc. When I first started out, I didn't charge cheap. I stayed on my rates even when other photographers under-cut me. In fact Clients liked my style and the way I worked. They also paid for my airfare, accomodation and insurance for overseas photography trips and even pays my daily rates even when I'm not shooting.

At S$150 is really way, way below market value. To some photographers, it may be an EASY project but don't forget I am sure you've to put in tremendous amount of EFFORT. TIME, COST, CONCENTRATION, CREATIVE, SWEAT AND EXPENSIVE HARDWARE in each shot.

Is it worth it?
    I do believe this is actually illegal? Price fixing isnt it, didnt OPEC did something similiar, its like forming a cartel, which i reckon will not go down well in Singapore!

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    I do believe this is actually illegal? Price fixing isnt it, didnt OPEC did something similiar, its like forming a cartel, which i reckon will not go down well in Singapore!
    The only legal cartel in the world is OPEC (If my info is still correct), and that is because they are made up of governments.

You will understand why cartels are illegal in Singapore, if you studied economics. That said, I am wondering how to charge clients with this fluctuating situation in Singapore. I have not changed prices, but looking at the way things are going, with more and more entrants into the market

What about if you're just starting out? What's a good price range to charge?

If you aren't very experienced, should you still charge a lot?
    John George
    Merchant Services

No offence to anyone but the lack of experience should not be equate to the lack of quality works. I am sure if you are able to produce good quality artwork, the client would be equally happy even through you may have less than 5 portfolios to speak off.

As such, clients are paying for good quality work and not so much of the amount of experience or years of being a photographer (don't get me wrong, I am not saying that experience is not important here). From what I have experience, clients that use experience of photographer as a way of determing price is just finding an excuse to price down the service of the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by jgeorgie33 View Post
    What about if you're just starting out? What's a good price range to charge?

If you aren't very experienced, should you still charge a lot?

Just a side comment. Its difficult here in Singapore. A lot of clients ai pi kor ai qi.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678