Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 149

Thread: Stupid Photographers...

  1. #121

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by shootaid View Post
    Sad to say, this is what I have been talking about. Clients are making a ' SUCKER ' on of us.
    If we continue to UNDER-CUT one another, we'll lose out professionalism. We'll be another PRODUCTION operator.

    As a New/Amat/Pro photographer, we should come to an verbal agreement and market ourselve at a certain price. The price should not fall below a certain market rate. That leaves the Clients no chance of SQUEEZING us.

    We can then market our CREATIVE rather than have a price war among ourselves. Because if not in the end of the day, Clients will be LAUGHING to the bank, and we will ALL SUFFER. (example: one of our bro has given up photography to be in trading business).

    Please rethink about taking up a project that pays CHEAP. There are many clients out there who will take advantage of Newbies or Beginners. Because for 30 pix it will take about a day to shoot or more. Some gave excuses like I'm start out and need portfolio etc. When I first started out, I didn't charge cheap. I stayed on my rates even when other photographers under-cut me. In fact Clients liked my style and the way I worked. They also paid for my airfare, accomodation and insurance for overseas photography trips and even pays my daily rates even when I'm not shooting.

    At S$150 is really way, way below market value. To some photographers, it may be an EASY project but don't forget I am sure you've to put in tremendous amount of EFFORT. TIME, COST, CONCENTRATION, CREATIVE, SWEAT AND EXPENSIVE HARDWARE in each shot.

    Is it worth it?
    You referring to me or the original thread? For heaven's sake.. I'm not the $5 photographer...

  2. #122

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    You referring to me or the original thread? For heaven's sake.. I'm not the $5 photographer...
    suggested quote:
    $20 per product x 30 products = $600. time frame = 5 hours max.

  3. #123

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    suggested quote:
    $20 per product x 30 products = $600. time frame = 5 hours max.
    Thanks alot. I thought that was a bit on the low side though.

    I was expecting something like $90 per product x 30 products = $1800. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Thanks for advice anyway. I think maybe I'll use the average of the 2 and try $50 per product.

  4. #124

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    Thanks alot. I thought that was a bit on the low side though.

    I was expecting something like $90 per product x 30 products = $1800. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Thanks for advice anyway. I think maybe I'll use the average of the 2 and try $50 per product.
    $90 per product is $2700 total. pretty good for 5-6 hours work i would say.

  5. #125

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    $90 per product is $2700 total. pretty good for 5-6 hours work i would say.
    Nah... that was the price I was thinking of charging. Not that they offered me $90. I don't know whether this is over-charging though, and am a bit apprehensive.

    After some thinking, I guess I'll try your price of $20/product. If they accept too readily I'll wisen up in the future.

    Frankly, I know next to nothing about commercial photography. All I know was that as a press photographer, I was paid a constant salary. Now that I've returned to Singapore, I'm trying to penetrate a new market.

  6. #126

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    Nah... that was the price I was thinking of charging. Not that they offered me $90. I don't know whether this is over-charging though, and am a bit apprehensive.

    After some thinking, I guess I'll try your price of $20/product. If they accept too readily I'll wisen up in the future.

    Frankly, I know next to nothing about commercial photography. All I know was that as a press photographer, I was paid a constant salary. Now that I've returned to Singapore, I'm trying to penetrate a new market.
    Why not start off with charging $50 per product, that will leave you some room to negotiate with them.

  7. #127

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    Why not start off with charging $50 per product, that will leave you some room to negotiate with them.
    I don't think this company likes negotiations...
    Btw, does anyone know if I'll be required to draw up a contract for these kind of shoots?
    Ah yes, one more thing is a deposit the industry norm?

  8. #128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,719

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    I don't think this company likes negotiations...
    Btw, does anyone know if I'll be required to draw up a contract for these kind of shoots?
    Ah yes, one more thing is a deposit the industry norm?
    ask for 50% upfront. before you start and make them issue purchase order or print a copy of the quotation and let the company authorised rep, stamped company stamp and sign off.

    very important, before you start work!

  9. #129

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by zekai View Post
    ask for 50% upfront. before you start and make them issue purchase order or print a copy of the quotation and let the company authorised rep, stamped company stamp and sign off.

    very important, before you start work!
    Sorry, I'm very new to this arena of commercial photography.

    "print a copy of the quotation"-I must go and draw up a contract?
    All our communication has been through email so far, and today, they're probably going to call me. There have been no papers, draft papers at all.

  10. #130

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    I think maybe I'll use the average of the 2 and try $50 per product.
    That was what I quoted for a 30-products product shoot ($55 x 30 products) and I got the job... however, must say that market-wise, its considered on the lower end as I know the other 2 companies that submitted their quote are in excess of $70 per product

    + I'll also be covering their D&Ds, store openings, company functions etc.. and some of their staff have also asked for studio shots..

    every job that you take can lead to more doors opening in the long run so if one can sense potential of more jobs coming, maybe can give and take

  11. #131

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brand View Post
    That was what I quoted for a 30-products product shoot ($55 x 30 products) and I got the job... however, must say that market-wise, its considered on the lower end as I know the other 2 companies that submitted their quote are in excess of $70 per product

    + I'll also be covering their D&Ds, store openings, company functions etc.. and some of their staff have also asked for studio shots..

    every job that you take can lead to more doors opening in the long run so if one can sense potential of more jobs coming, maybe can give and take
    This comapny, in my eyes, is really a new company. 9I am guessing). They want to pay me PER PROJECT instead of per product... I really wonder.. what it means. Still waiting for them to call me... if they don't call me within 3 hours time, that's it. I'm done with this company. Life will still go on for me. Sad waste of nice intro for me into the photography arena though.

  12. #132

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    This comapny, in my eyes, is really a new company. 9I am guessing). They want to pay me PER PROJECT instead of per product... I really wonder.. what it means. Still waiting for them to call me... if they don't call me within 3 hours time, that's it. I'm done with this company. Life will still go on for me. Sad waste of nice intro for me into the photography arena though.
    Per project can be good, or can kill you.. if u decide to do thus.. please include a few clauses that says how mnay jobs n hours or something to limit that, cos if not... u may end up doing much much more than what you bargained for...

  13. #133

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    well, think of it this way. if u pay peanuts, u get monkeys

  14. #134

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by Octane69 View Post
    Per project can be good, or can kill you.. if u decide to do thus.. please include a few clauses that says how mnay jobs n hours or something to limit that, cos if not... u may end up doing much much more than what you bargained for...
    I've given up. Two weeks of sporadic emails, said he'll call me, wasted my time completely.

    If they call me tomorrow I'll tell them forget it. These kind of people think us photographers are desperate for a job.

  15. #135

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    I've given up. Two weeks of sporadic emails, said he'll call me, wasted my time completely.

    If they call me tomorrow I'll tell them forget it. These kind of people think us photographers are desperate for a job.
    nvm...there will be other opportunities, and better clients.

  16. #136

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    nvm...there will be other opportunities, and better clients.
    Thanks
    Not to caught up, cause photograpahy has become my sideline once I gave up my press photography job in the states. Money not an issue for me.. Boredom sitting at a desk is

  17. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    bored? :P help organize a d40 get together!
    chezburgr i can haz?

  18. #138

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    bored? :P help organize a d40 get together!
    =.= First, direct me to a thread that tabulates all the D40 users here

    Don't take it seriously.. I'm pretty busy in my main job. Bored, as in the work is boring compared to my beautiful helicopter and shootin pics all day long (let's just ignore bodyguards and secret service for now ).. As a division manager, I have to ensure that everything is running perfectly the only requirement was to shoot pictures (editing done by the newsroom), which is nothing to me. The stress comes more when you have to get a shot despite all the security, having to dismount from helicopter and run to the scene (if you cannot get an air shot).. It's more physical.

  19. #139

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    =.= First, direct me to a thread that tabulates all the D40 users here

    Don't take it seriously.. I'm pretty busy in my main job. Bored, as in the work is boring compared to my beautiful helicopter and shootin pics all day long (let's just ignore bodyguards and secret service for now ).. As a division manager, I have to ensure that everything is running perfectly the only requirement was to shoot pictures (editing done by the newsroom), which is nothing to me. The stress comes more when you have to get a shot despite all the security, having to dismount from helicopter and run to the scene (if you cannot get an air shot).. It's more physical.
    cheapass D40 users fall in!


  20. #140

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Digital pictures don't seem to cost more than a few cents of electricity to many clients and some new and eager photographers. Eager photographers + zero budgeted clients = market disaster.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •