Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Photographers...

Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

erm that amt of products will take over years to do it..
    though its gd money, but most products are highly reflective
    LOL

the important thing is, YOU GOT PROJECT BIGGER THAN 10 MILLION DOLLARS???

nope...
    i wish...

The way I look at it. It's "Uniquely Singapore" lah! Small population, small geographical area, small market, constantly over supply! Look back at the Louhan and Bubble Tea experience. These are just the two that are much reported in the news. I believe many more in various trades also goes through this experience; There were around 200 Pet Shops but it shot up to around close to 500 the last fews years and then one by one it drop like flies, back to maybe 200 plus. Almost all business must go throught that phase and then one day the bubble burst except it more accute in Singapore I think.

Singaporeans have no ethics, especially work ethics... its very rampant in all industries. In the end, we cant blame no one but ourselves....
    Asian.Alcholic... Hic... :bsmilie:

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Sorry, your HDB photographer is not going to pay $5K to buy a 5D+macro lens. If he rent the lens, well, he is therefore doing it for FREE.

Read AA's original post. The requirement is a 48MB TIFF file. Typical requirement these days.
    shoot in flim and scan?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Market here too small to earn much. Moreover, I think digital photography has made photography so much easier these days. Back in the 70's who are the photographers? The really hard core ones who will spend hours calcuating even something as simple as exposure that all of us take for granted. I wonder how many still use a lightmeter outdoors?

Come the 80's, life gets better but only those enthusiastic ones will own an SLR. In the 90's things get so much more affordable entry level SLRs cost $500 only. The wet chemical darkroom still exists.

Now in the 21st century, who hasn't owned a digicam? Even a pre-teenager knows how to use a cam and probably photo-editing softwares better than some adults. Wet darkrooms are almost gone. You see people not minding to spend $1k+ for a basic entry level SLR. Darn, back in the 90's, $1k+ film SLR is pro level! Now people are talking about spending a whopping $6k on a mid-level 1D MkIII like nothing. Young lads are wielding 400D and simple lens and shooting weddings for a much better price than pros. Wedding couples don't mind.

So $5 for a product shoot? It's not surprising, sad it may be for the pro.

Bottom-line, things are changing, people are getting wealthier, and with that, the photography trade suffers.

Just some of my ramblings...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Market here too small to earn much. Moreover, I think digital photography has made photography so much easier these days. Back in the 70's who are the photographers? The really hard core ones who will spend hours calcuating even something as simple as exposure that all of us take for granted. I wonder how many still use a lightmeter outdoors?

Come the 80's, life gets better but only those enthusiastic ones will own an SLR. In the 90's things get so much more affordable entry level SLRs cost $500 only. The wet chemical darkroom still exists.

Now in the 21st century, who hasn't owned a digicam? Even a pre-teenager knows how to use a cam and probably photo-editing softwares better than some adults. Wet darkrooms are almost gone. You see people not minding to spend $1k+ for a basic entry level SLR. Darn, back in the 90's, $1k+ film SLR is pro level! Now people are talking about spending a whopping $6k on a mid-level 1D MkIII like nothing. Young lads are wielding 400D and simple lens and shooting weddings for a much better price than pros. Wedding couples don't mind.

So $5 for a product shoot? It's not surprising, sad it may be for the pro.

Bottom-line, things are changing, people are getting wealthier, and with that, the photography trade suffers.

Just some of my ramblings...
    I agreed with you. Remember back in the mid 90's when I charge thousand two for a wedding day job and most of my wedding are though couple referral. I brought my 1st digital camera The Nikon D1 at SG$15K

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman View Post
    Why call the photographer stupid, u guys gotta respect him or her, cos he or her just did somethings u guys will not do.
    Be careful when calling the photographer in this particular case or any other photographer as such "stupid" for you are as Smurfman mentioned - you "gotta respect him or her". How would you feel when you have others calling you the same? You begin to behave in "hatred" and so on.

A simple rule to follow but very difficult to apply is:
    "Do unto others what you want do unto yourself". I would like to mention here that the photographer has executed a dangerous strategy that has lots of potential to harm the photographic industry. Of course if he or she knows about this effect the five dollar per product will never be quoted.

The many reasons why potential people going into the industry should learn from experienced and exceptional mentors who will immediately warn them of this dangerous act of overly under pricing.

------------------------------------------------------
    The universal genius who can manage all himself
    has yet to appear. Only one with the genius to
    recognize others of different genius and harness
    them to his own car can approach the
    "universal" - Andrew Carnegie

All these only show that more professional photographers need to join the PPAS. So we have a untied voice that can be heard. PPAS ( Professional Photographer Association Singapore) their web site: www.ppas.sg

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    the ad agencies earn the margins... if they can get by with the cheapest photography option they will use it... look at today's BMW ad... they are advertising the latest model of a convertable 3 series, but they are using an ancient photo of the Singapore CBD skyline... no One Raffles Quay or One Fullerton or new Merlion park never mind, UOB building also don't have...
    There are ad executives that I know who have top-notch photography skills. some of the stuff is done in-house these days, guess it's leaning towards MD. Does it erode the market share of photographers? Maybe.

If you're at the top, you're alright. This confluence of skillsets may affect the mid-level photographers, and actually benefit the beginner, especially if he or she is in a field of employment that utilises photography as a intermediate step in their respective work process.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Turn the offer down. The price is not right for the tough job.

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    no go... i support you.

$5000 la... tell them add 3 more "0" inside.

30X5000 = 150000

international brand.... 150000 isnt alot la...

think of the returns they will get... its not by the 0000s, its by the 000,000's or even 0,000,000's
    YH.. MAY BE HE/SHE FORGOT THE "K".

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    I don't see why we should cry, remember when I was doing online eLearning, we tender a MOE project for 1/3 the cost, 3 times the specs and 1/3 the time to deliever. As a result, we work like mad, but at the same time killed 3 (Established) competitors.

Basically that is the strategy...we tender in every project that the competitors is going for at low rate. Objective is to get them out of business. A few of us went without salary for a year, then after the competitors died, we begin to slowly raise the charges and later even got IPO.

This world is really the survival of the fittest. We have to be ready for it.
    So? In the end your work-life balance suffers to get your competition (companies) close down. The competitors' staff suffers at most temporary displacement in changing jobs, but you, you went without pay for 1 year! That's $18000 (12mths * $1500) worth of loss to you. Granted, the company went IPO, but the company is a virtual entity. Hopefully you got something back after the IPO, so all is not a loss.

Who gets the most out of it? MOE, who is laughing all the way to the bank.

I hope I don't come across as sarcastic, I sincerely don't mean to. It's just that sometimes, I hate all this price cutting mentality. It only explains why employee-flogging is all the trend these days.

Somebody advice me pls. I ave been wondering about this for a while because I have a potential product shoot but I'm still not sure what to charge.

Studio-They provide
    Goods-They provide (which seems pretty obvious)
    Showroom and studio are in the same location.

I haven't been told if I need to do any digital editing, and frankly, I don't know how "pro" they want me to be because they didn't even ask to see my portfolio... and didn't even say if they wan JPEG or TIFF or what..... But the fact they have a studio... seems like a kink in this smooth trend of thought.

To be frank, it sounds like a pretty easy job and I don't want to overcharge them, when I'm not doing much except point camera and shoot (literally, since their studio is FOC to me).

How much you think I should charge per product? (I have not been informed of how many products there are too )

This shoot is realy confusing.. like they don't know what they want themselves.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by expro View Post
    Even these kind of job, one should charge at least $30-$50 per shot.
    Just go to Shutterstock or Dreamstime and you get 0.2 to 1 USD per photo you use. Ok, it's stock and not your product on the photo.

However, you don't know the whole story, if a client has 5,000 product, all very similar and you spend just 2 minutes time per product, 5S$ is not a bad price. Maybe the 30 shots are just try and much more work is coming because this photographer accept to lose money on one deal, he'll get the big one just after.

Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    Somebody advice me pls. I ave been wondering about this for a while because I have a potential product shoot but I'm still not sure what to charge.

Studio-They provide
    Goods-They provide (which seems pretty obvious)
    Showroom and studio are in the same location.

I haven't been told if I need to do any digital editing, and frankly, I don't know how "pro" they want me to be because they didn't even ask to see my portfolio... and didn't even say if they wan JPEG or TIFF or what..... But the fact they have a studio... seems like a kink in this smooth trend of thought.

To be frank, it sounds like a pretty easy job and I don't want to overcharge them, when I'm not doing much except point camera and shoot (literally, since their studio is FOC to me).

How much you think I should charge per product? (I have not been informed of how many products there are too )

This shoot is realy confusing.. like they don't know what they want themselves.

Then its very much up to you to find out what are your client's expectation; especially, if they don't seem to have any. Better do so before you end up in deep waters.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    Then its very much up to you to find out what are your client's expectation; especially, if they don't seem to have any. Better do so before you end up in deep waters.
    BAH. Nevermind... how much would you all charge if you're in my place? Let's just say 30 products. (About 0.5x0.5x1m size for each product, I suspect there wont be many. I can't elaborate much)

Smile Re: Stupid Photographers...

guidelines may be given here. but, such pricing matters are business sensitive in nature. so, do not expect too much.

Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    BAH. Nevermind... how much would you all charge if you're in my place? Let's just say 30 products. (About 0.5x0.5x1m size for each product, I suspect there wont be many. I can't elaborate much)

Sad to say, this is what I have been talking about. Clients are making a ' SUCKER ' on of us.
    If we continue to UNDER-CUT one another, we'll lose out professionalism. We'll be another PRODUCTION operator.

As a New/Amat/Pro photographer, we should come to an verbal agreement and market ourselve at a certain price. The price should not fall below a certain market rate. That leaves the Clients no chance of SQUEEZING us.

We can then market our CREATIVE rather than have a price war among ourselves. Because if not in the end of the day, Clients will be LAUGHING to the bank, and we will ALL SUFFER. (example: one of our bro has given up photography to be in trading business).

Please rethink about taking up a project that pays CHEAP. There are many clients out there who will take advantage of Newbies or Beginners. Because for 30 pix it will take about a day to shoot or more. Some gave excuses like I'm start out and need portfolio etc. When I first started out, I didn't charge cheap. I stayed on my rates even when other photographers under-cut me. In fact Clients liked my style and the way I worked. They also paid for my airfare, accomodation and insurance for overseas photography trips and even pays my daily rates even when I'm not shooting.

At S$150 is really way, way below market value. To some photographers, it may be an EASY project but don't forget I am sure you've to put in tremendous amount of EFFORT. TIME, COST, CONCENTRATION, CREATIVE, SWEAT AND EXPENSIVE HARDWARE in each shot.

Is it worth it?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast