Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 149

Thread: Stupid Photographers...

  1. #81

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Mind sharing with us the coy's name...so we can watch it out...

    is it...."l***s***d"

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Haha...I got burn out, gave the business to my friend who brought it to IPO in Malaysia. Now the company is in Singapore , Malaysia and Hong Kong *sigh* I pull out too soon! Now I am still in Education, but just a small little teacher!
    Last edited by hawaii50; 5th April 2007 at 02:12 PM.

  2. #82

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaii50 View Post
    Mind sharing with us the coy's name...so we can watch it out...

    is it...."l***s***d"
    Hahaha.....please continue to guess...

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by expro View Post
    That what the BIG studio did to keep their assistants busy.
    Usually they will let the assistants to do this kind of jobs.
    Nope, it was the photographer himself who did the shoot.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  4. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampines SG
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    its all about singaporean style.price war like this is common in singapore.
    we are asians thats why!not like the europeans,u want u take ;don't want go look for others.the standard and priceing are normaly similar:thats what we call standard.
    maybe their country is way to big and demandis always more.
    WE ARE JUST A RED DOT!left to right ,up to down takes us only 1hours for the journey.
    cos
    1]the jobs are lesser and photographers are too many, regardless pro or not[everyone can say they are pro]
    2]some just want to lead a simple life
    3]some may even do for free,to get more exposure and popularity.[eg,alot of magazine got a lot of free hairstylist and photographers ,only their names are credited in the mag;worthwhile?depends on individual]
    4]again,lots of us are struggling to earn enough ,but whats is enough?5k,10k 20k or??? so when one is hungry,will jsut take any job

    Just my two cts...................no offence.
    for me,Used to earn 20k in a month but now its difficult.most customers got no much loyalty.they moved when the price is attractive.but wen they get into bad results, only than will come back to us...but too late,for mei up my price to cover my heart break they make a choice.

  5. #85

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Its not a matter of survival of the fittest or whatever, Please do some caculations... At $5 a shot. With the specifications given, its sucide. No matter how or what or when, $5 a product shot, is underselling yourself... it utterly condemmable. And the photogher is stupid, cos the client will not appreciate your work, if they take you they only appreciate your price. Cos you are a cheap charlie... And for heavens sake, justifyling it with some of the reasons i see you guys giving is pathetic. $5 a shot is $5 a shot, whatever justification you give is just excuses.
    With the onslaught of digital, many people do not appreciate the skill of the lensman anymore. Especially in singapore, the land of the cheap charlies. Dont complain that people do not give respect to this profession. With idiots like this, we only bring it upon ourselves.
    Asian.Alcholic... Hic... :bsmilie:

  6. #86

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by A.A View Post
    It just came to my knowledge that one potential client of mine was quoted $5/product for a product shoot.
    Its a simple shoot that needs not much styling, however it does some effort and listen to this, worldwide media release, 48mb Tiff files, Full DI and client has 30 products.
    It really sad the way things are coming to nowadays. We are all just killing ourselves...
    $5 per product for $30 product = $150.

    Time spent on pre-production - 1 hour
    Time spent on initial set up of lights and sets- 2 hours.
    Ave. time spent to shoot each product after in setting up, 15-20 min each - 7.5-10 hours.
    Ave. time spent to DI each product, 15-20 min each - 7.5-10 hours.

    Total time spent - 18-23 hours. (I will use 20.5 hours)

    Assuming the total material cost for the CDs used in buring the final images, any other materials used to make the shoot happen - $20.

    You will be left with $130. At a per hour basis, you are netting $6.34/hr. Or approximately $1,057 a month.

    With that kind of money, how will you amortise the capital cost of acquiring the necessary tools to capture and process the pictures?

    To produce 48MB TIFF file, you need to be shooting using at the very least a 5D or D200 class DSLR, with a very good quality macro lens.

    You will need to have a reasonable fast computer to process the 30 images. If computer is slow, you can easily double the DI time.

    You may rent the camera and lens at $100 a day ....
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    DP: read my example of the HDB studio 'ah lao' in post #52

    - used to be old hand-pro photog
    - now run neighbourhood printing services and passport photo, that's self sustaining.
    - Kids all grown up and supporting him
    - equipment all fully paid for
    - Shoots jobs at low rates to pass time.
    - each job is to break away from routine lab work and "extra income"

    he don't really need the job to survive but takes it anyway. These are the more potent killer than newbies. Cos when newbies screw up a job, this customer will never trust newbies again.

    Ah lao will never 'piu chiu' (mis-cue) and give good rates. How not to hire?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  8. #88

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    DP: read my example of the HDB studio 'ah lao' in post #52

    - used to be old hand-pro photog
    - now run neighbourhood printing services and passport photo, that's self sustaining.
    - Kids all grown up and supporting him
    - equipment all fully paid for
    - Shoots jobs at low rates to pass time.
    - each job is to break away from routine lab work and "extra income"

    he don't really need the job to survive but takes it anyway. These are the more potent killer than newbies. Cos when newbies screw up a job, this customer will never trust newbies again.

    Ah lao will never 'piu chiu' (mis-cue) and give good rates. How not to hire?
    Sorry, your HDB photographer is not going to pay $5K to buy a 5D+macro lens. If he rent the lens, well, he is therefore doing it for FREE.

    Read AA's original post. The requirement is a 48MB TIFF file. Typical requirement these days.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  9. #89

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Apparently, textbook style of implementing logic and maths isn't everything in business such as this.

    There's a need to have some element of "street smart" or in this sense "business smart". On some larger business, there even anti-competitive laws or rules against distructive competition.

    In the example of old hand-pro photog, there's a benchmark pricing or market rate to follow regardless of the calculated cost. The issue lies in if he knows the benchmark or want to follow it.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  10. #90

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    yea... charging $5 a pic, streetsmart, na... sh*tstart more likely, and stupid too. old hand, charging $5 for 1 pic, shooting on film... must be super, one shot one kill. 36 frames in one roll.. opps... sorry have to shoot MF n scan to get 48mb tiffs. so thats 3 rolls of 120 film, drum scan at hmmm.... $18 a roll? not bad at all, no need Polaroids cos he is old bird n wont pui ciu? still can earn money leh... $2? (Whole project)
    Asian.Alcholic... Hic... :bsmilie:

  11. #91

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    the ad agencies earn the margins... if they can get by with the cheapest photography option they will use it... look at today's BMW ad... they are advertising the latest model of a convertable 3 series, but they are using an ancient photo of the Singapore CBD skyline... no One Raffles Quay or One Fullerton or new Merlion park never mind, UOB building also don't have...
    No wonder that ad look so strange to me
    but i just couldn't pinpoint whatz wrong.



  12. #92

    Default Stupid Photographers . Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! Wow !! So serious !!

    15 years ago I work for almost all the famous Ad. Photographers in Singapore .

    I happen to know someone who is at peak of his Million dollar Photography business , at that time his competitors are less than finger counts . In order to keep and Please his Clients , he'll offer less for any direct Product shoot , he price a single product shoot at $10 to $15.00 sgd .
    15 years later I see this topic here and I think , the called of Stupid is very tough to make every Photographer ^%$&%* . Our time now is different from 15 years ago , our time now is having hundreds of so call Photographer quoting for a single job , what are we saying ? Are we so proud not to take a job which can make you stand out against others " LL" any Photographer can answer this , some Photographer are big time and some are just not .

    The fact is clear this market need two type of Photographer , one is a very creative , smart , talkative Photographer and another is one who is cheap enough for the client to make used of . " Heng Heng I'm talkative ...... just joking ....

    For the last 20 years of Photography in Singapore , all money making Photographer are individual , they never unite and no ones care , we live in an open market and quote our service fee openly. If you think I'm wrong , please start now every single Professional Photographer in singapore should all have an Professional Photography Practise Handbook with an lawyer. Protect your market , Protect our rice bowl , Protect your Creative work .

    Look at the Ang mo , look at the ang mo in Shanghai and Bejing , look at their support , look at who rep. them . They protect themselve at all level in their own country , make millions of dollar , they make the same in China . And why can't we . think for yourselve but what I see it's just all talks with no show any time sooner.


    Pan

  13. #93
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers . Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! Wow !! So serious !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post
    15 years ago I work for almost all the famous Ad. Photographers in Singapore .

    I happen to know someone who is at peak of his Million dollar Photography business , at that time his competitors are less than finger counts . In order to keep and Please his Clients , he'll offer less for any direct Product shoot , he price a single product shoot at $10 to $15.00 sgd .
    15 years later I see this topic here and I think , the called of Stupid is very tough to make every Photographer ^%$&%* . Our time now is different from 15 years ago , our time now is having hundreds of so call Photographer quoting for a single job , what are we saying ? Are we so proud not to take a job which can make you stand out against others " LL" any Photographer can answer this , some Photographer are big time and some are just not .

    The fact is clear this market need two type of Photographer , one is a very creative , smart , talkative Photographer and another is one who is cheap enough for the client to make used of . " Heng Heng I'm talkative ...... just joking ....

    For the last 20 years of Photography in Singapore , all money making Photographer are individual , they never unite and no ones care , we live in an open market and quote our service fee openly. If you think I'm wrong , please start now every single Professional Photographer in singapore should all have an Professional Photography Practise Handbook with an lawyer. Protect your market , Protect our rice bowl , Protect your Creative work .

    Look at the Ang mo , look at the ang mo in Shanghai and Bejing , look at their support , look at who rep. them . They protect themselve at all level in their own country , make millions of dollar , they make the same in China . And why can't we . think for yourselve but what I see it's just all talks with no show any time sooner.


    Pan
    haizzzzzz....
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  14. #94
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    the ad agencies earn the margins... if they can get by with the cheapest photography option they will use it... look at today's BMW ad... they are advertising the latest model of a convertable 3 series, but they are using an ancient photo of the Singapore CBD skyline... no One Raffles Quay or One Fullerton or new Merlion park never mind, UOB building also don't have...
    !!!

    That photo is like more then 17 years old!
    Hitachi Tower, behind Clifford Pier was completed in 1993.

    Some ad!!! Like selling a 20 year old car.

    Laymen don't take art professionals seriously at times, they tend to be underrated. Like photographers, they think is just an act of pressing the biggest button on a camera. Architects, architecture isn't taken very seriously by most laymen. So goes with Arts professions.
    Last edited by redstone; 7th April 2007 at 02:54 AM.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    !!!

    That photo is like more then 15 years old!
    Hitachi Tower, behind Clifford Pier was completed in 1993.

    Some ad!!! Like selling a 20 year old car.

    Laymen don't take art professionals seriously at times, they tend to be underrated. Like photographers, they thing is just an act of pressing the biggest button on a camera. Architects, architecture isn't taken very seriously by most laymen. So goes with Arts professions.
    mabbe this is a consequences of perpetual rights that photogs so freely give away.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  16. #96

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    mabbe this is a consequences of perpetual rights that photogs so freely give away.
    perpetual rights is one thing, but using an ancient skyline to sell new car whose selling point is that it is newest, latest is

  17. #97

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    perpetual rights is one thing, but using an ancient skyline to sell new car whose selling point is that it is newest, latest is
    As long as the target market knows it's Sg sky line and the Ad catches their attention... mabbe they dun bother with a few "missing" buildings.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  18. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    WAT? WAN TO STALK MI AH? LOLZ
    Posts
    1,916

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    I've a customer, I charge him abt $10.00 a product and $50.00 For a palm Size and above product. Becuz he have over a million products to shoot

    After shooting for a few sessions, he say im too ex. Someone offering him $10.00 for all sizes..

    Den u go ahead to him lor...

    Anyway, he came back to me again, cuz i think the other guy cannot make it. LOL

    $10.00 ma... What you expect. LOL

    Anyway i didnt shoot fer him, becuz too bz wif bigger projects.


  19. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby View Post
    I've a customer, I charge him abt $10.00 a product and $50.00 For a palm Size and above product. Becuz he have over a million products to shoot

    After shooting for a few sessions, he say im too ex. Someone offering him $10.00 for all sizes..

    Den u go ahead to him lor...

    Anyway, he came back to me again, cuz i think the other guy cannot make it. LOL

    $10.00 ma... What you expect. LOL

    Anyway i didnt shoot fer him, becuz too bz wif bigger projects.

    wah, 10x 1million already 10million liao... better than dio toto during new year...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  20. #100

    Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

    wah... after this you would be atleast $10-50Million richer. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby View Post
    I've a customer, I charge him abt $10.00 a product and $50.00 For a palm Size and above product. Becuz he have over a million products to shoot

    After shooting for a few sessions, he say im too ex. Someone offering him $10.00 for all sizes..

    Den u go ahead to him lor...

    Anyway, he came back to me again, cuz i think the other guy cannot make it. LOL

    $10.00 ma... What you expect. LOL

    Anyway i didnt shoot fer him, becuz too bz wif bigger projects.


Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •